PDA

View Full Version : i just gotta share!.....coolest accessory ever!

mozeppa
10-20-2020, 12:48 PM
just got in 2 dram worx GLASS hoppers for my hornady powder measures.

the original plastic one on the left was new 6 months ago.....next to the new one made of heavy pyrex glass.
more than 1/8" thick and it holds a little more powder than the plastic.

it has a screw in base attached to the glass with a baffle permanently attached inside the base,
it also has a tight fitting aluminum cap with a "O" ring seal to keep moisture out.

i love it! ....now i can see if powder is low!

XDROB
10-20-2020, 01:06 PM
Where did you get it from?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Walks
10-20-2020, 01:52 PM
They come from "Dramworx"
The little Dandy gets heavier

Winger Ed.
10-20-2020, 02:01 PM
Cool.

I had a plastic tube do that. It also gets real brittle when it happens too.
With my new measure, I dump the powder out as soon as I'm done with that session, and wipe inside it with a rag.
So far, its still clear and looks new.

mozeppa
10-20-2020, 05:24 PM
Where did you get it from?

$50 + shipping From: https://dramworx.com/products/hornady/

Minerat
10-20-2020, 07:58 PM
I got 2 one for both my 1970's RCBS powder measures, the ones with the large diameter friction fit hoppers. Really nice!

megasupermagnum
10-21-2020, 01:23 PM
I had an RCBS do that to me. Not only did it turn black (it was translucent green to begin with), powder had actually melted, and imbedded into the plastic. I had to throw the hopper away it was so bad. That was only from leaving powder sit in it a week. My Ponsness Warren powder tube is starting to darken, but nothing as bad as that. Too bad they want $50 for the powder, and $70 for the shot tube. I can live with the stains for that price. Thanks for the heads up though. If I ever break mine, I'll definitely be looking into these as a replacement.

Nueces
10-21-2020, 02:24 PM
Cool, thanks for the heads up! I ordered one for my Redding, one each of the Lymans and one for the Ohaus DuoMeasure I gave my buddy - that one will be his birthday present.

daloper
10-21-2020, 02:27 PM
I had that happen to me so I learned to dump the powder back every night after I was done loading for the day.

megasupermagnum
10-21-2020, 02:57 PM
I had that happen to me so I learned to dump the powder back every night after I was done loading for the day.

I normally do, but some stuff happens. Or in the case of a progressive press, I often load for days at a time, loading some each day.

adcoch1
10-21-2020, 04:00 PM
Ive got an old redding with no hopper on it. This is great news! Now I can get it in action.

salpal48
10-21-2020, 04:57 PM
I have 2 for about 2 years now On both of my Ohaus Duo measure.
Great products

dverna
10-21-2020, 05:42 PM
Some powders will react to the plastic used in measures. I always drain the measures. Good solution for those who do not.

Kevin Rohrer
10-22-2020, 07:20 AM
Some powders will react to the plastic used in measures. I always drain the measures. Good solution for those who do not.

Fast-burning powders like Bullesye will do this. So far, I have not had a problem w/ leaving Unique in the hopper.

Shepherd2
10-22-2020, 08:04 AM
I have 3 now and I highly recommend them. I never left powder in any of my measures and still they got darker over the years. My Lyman 55 had gotten so dark that I couldn't tell if it had powder in it. Now when I look at my bench I see crystal clear hoppers.

gnappi
10-22-2020, 10:42 AM
Ummm... doesn't glass generate or hold a static charge? Static+gunpowder=bad?

rswink
10-22-2020, 03:09 PM
Pyrex is an insulator if I remember right. They make the electric line insulators out of it for poles.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

gnappi
10-23-2020, 05:05 PM
Pyrex is an insulator if I remember right. They make the electric line insulators out of it for poles.

Yes, but insulators build up static charge.

https://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/physics/current-charge-and-voltage/revise-it/conductors-and-insulators

I'd rather not see powder than never see again after a blow out.

Winger Ed.
10-23-2020, 05:14 PM
Ive got an old redding with no hopper on it. This is great news! Now I can get it in action.

It might be a common diameter for those and another brand of clear tube could work.

When my 80's era Hornady tube did that, I had a 2-'D' cell flashlight that I forced onto it.
After a few years, I finally called Hornady to buy a new tube.

They didn't have it inventoried, and the nice lady didn't know a price,
so she said she'd ship me one for the new generation measures, and they'd give it to me.
I didn't really like that idea, since it was 20-something years old.

I asked if it'd be OK to donate $20 to the NRA in their name, and she agreed to that.
When I got it, it fit. I just had to drill a couple of new holes for the screws.

rswink
10-23-2020, 05:43 PM
Yes, but insulators build up static charge.

https://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/physics/current-charge-and-voltage/revise-it/conductors-and-insulators

I'd rather not see powder than never see again after a blow out.Then a simple common grounding strap applied to your equipment would solve the problem.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

elmacgyver0
10-23-2020, 06:58 PM

So what are you trying to say?

Both glass and plastic can generate a static charge, for that matter even you can, ever touch a light switch in the winter?

gnappi
10-23-2020, 09:04 PM
Then a simple common grounding strap applied to your equipment would solve the problem.

Goferit! :-)

kevin c
10-24-2020, 02:11 AM
For those a little light in the wallet, a plastic document cover, rolled up and cut to fit.

It might make a difference what plastic the cover is made of, but the one I used never discolored, and the Dillon hopper it protects is still clear after years (I typically leave powder in the hopper unless I know I'm not going to reload for a long time). It just took the original a few months of the same treatment to become opaque .

gnappi
10-24-2020, 10:07 AM
So what are you trying to say?

Both glass and plastic can generate a static charge, for that matter even you can, ever touch a light switch in the winter?

Why is it that peeps challenge such simple comments? I'm not "TRYING" to say anything, isn't THAT CLEAR? Maybe a remedial "inference" reading course is in line for you?

The plastic on hoppers are specifically chosen to not generate static, just like the canisters that powder is shipped in. Powder makers recommend to never move powder to a container not designed for gunpowder because it may be labeled wrong, or the label can fall off and it's SAFE storage.

Listen here, I don't care what you do with your bench, some tyros may think something is a good idea and MAYBE it's not. Go do what you like, smoke, drink, use glass hoppers, I really do not care.

GregLaROCHE
10-24-2020, 10:47 AM
Are they available for Lyman 55s?

joebaja
10-25-2020, 11:39 PM
Thanks for sharing this mozeppa! A few years ago I got called away from a loading session to deal with something when there was a half full hopper of TiteGroup. Forgot that it was there for a few days. By the time I got back, my hopper looked like a Franklin stove. Been making do with some ABS clear pipe lined with a document cover and secured with a bunch of duct tape. This looks like just what the doctor ordered.

mozeppa
10-26-2020, 11:48 AM
ya'll make sure of which measure you order for as these are NOT just glass tubes , they have a fitting that is bonded to the glass and it is threaded for some types of measures.

this really helps make the whole assembly More solid and stable ....no chance of a loose tube to get knocked out and lose a whole hopper of powder.

please....don't ask me how this can be possible....i don't like bad memories!

Ziptar
12-07-2020, 05:43 AM
That's awesome. Just ordered one for my Ohaus. Wish they made them for the Lyman Pistol Powder measure. Can't hurt to ask them about it right? It's about the same size as a Little Dandy.

Baltimoreed
12-08-2020, 12:16 PM
Be curious to know what powder you guys are using that is so corrosive and detrimental to your hoppers. I leave clays, clay dot, red dot, bullseye in my oem hoppers continuously. My reloading room is climate controlled as it’s in the house.

Ziptar
12-08-2020, 02:00 PM
In my case the hopper on my OHaus cracked from age / use. I rigged up a replacement with an HVLP Spray Gun paint cup and some copper pipe fittings. It works well enough its just butt ugly.

Rockzilla
12-10-2020, 09:12 PM
That's awesome. Just ordered one for my Ohaus. Wish they made them for the Lyman Pistol Powder measure. Can't hurt to ask them about it right? It's about the same size as a Little Dandy.

Ask him, that's what I did about the Duo-measure, he explained he needed one, so boxed one up and sent it out. Everyone was using the DIY fix it things.
Mine cracked by the screw hole, the one I sent had a hair line crack starting, have several of the glass hoppers for the Duo-measures, they work great.

Anyway ask...you never know.

-Rock

David2011
12-11-2020, 07:46 PM

Plastic doesn’t?

Many reloaders, myself included, use old dryer sheets to control static in the plastic tubes.

David2011
12-11-2020, 07:53 PM
Be curious to know what powder you guys are using that is so corrosive and detrimental to your hoppers. I leave clays, clay dot, red dot, bullseye in my oem hoppers continuously. My reloading room is climate controlled as it’s in the house.

Seems like I read the culprits are the double based powders with higher nitroglycerin contents. I empty my powder measures so no personal experience.

Ziptar
12-12-2020, 09:28 PM
Ask him, that's what I did about the Duo-measure, he explained he needed one, so boxed one up and sent it out. Everyone was using the DIY fix it things.
Mine cracked by the screw hole, the one I sent had a hair line crack starting, have several of the glass hoppers for the Duo-measures, they work great.

Anyway ask...you never know.

-Rock

Rock,
I asked! I emailed and asked if maybe the Little Dandy hopper might work since it's very similar in size and design to Lyman's Pistol Accumeasure. Exchanged a few emails with Ward, sent some measurements, he said the opening in the base of the Little Dandy was smaller then the Lyman but he could open it up and it would fit just fine. I've got it and a hopper for the Ohaus on the way. I'll post some pictures of the Lyman hopper when I get it.

Thanks for posting this. I've got two of the Lymans one's hopper is already cracked, if this works out I'll order another because it's only a matter of time for before the other does.

Rockzilla
12-12-2020, 10:22 PM
Rock,
I asked! I emailed and asked if maybe the Little Dandy hopper might work since it's very similar in size and design to Lyman's Pistol Accumeasure. Exchanged a few emails with Ward, sent some measurements, he said the opening in the base of the Little Dandy was smaller then the Lyman but he could open it up and it would fit just fine. I've got it and a hopper for the Ohaus on the way. I'll post some pictures of the Lyman hopper when I get it.

Thanks for posting this. I've got two of the Lymans one's hopper is already cracked, if this works out I'll order another because it's only a matter of time for before the other does.

That's great. Ward is a great guy, great company.
gonna ask or see if he can make some hoppers for the Auto-champs I got,
the ones on them ain't gonna make it much longer, waiting till after holidays.
Would like to see the pictures, when you get it.

-Rock