PDA

View Full Version : Redding Master Case Trimmer 13,14,14K Circa1976

Pepe Ray
10-19-2020, 06:59 PM
Several years ago, I purchased this trimmer from ?? CRS. I was impressed with its great condition and because it ras a Redding was confident in finding all the parts and info needed for operation. Well-- I think I'm on the right track but it hasn't been easy. 'Specially since I,m a P.C. Dummy. I,ve recently found a co. that will accept special orders for pilots but I haven't contacted them to find the cost. It was after hours. Also I need the operators/owners manual.
On examining the unit I find it more complex than most, probably why It became obsolete/replaced with a newer model. - - - So - -IF anyone has information re. this unit, I would be eternally grateful for your input. The single most unique aspect is that the mounting base is seperate from the cutting/pilot unit, connected by the spacing shaft for varying case length. Thanks for your consideration. - - Pepe Ray

abunaitoo
10-24-2020, 02:32 AM
Never seen one of those before.
Have you tried to contact Redding????
Looks like midway has the cutters still in stock.

Pressman
10-24-2020, 10:38 AM
These early Reddings take a pilot with a slit in the shaft. They turn up only rarely. Someone with the right tools could probably make them from new pilots.

Pressman
10-24-2020, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately, I got the camera angle a bit off making it hard to see the cutter blade. The blade and pilot fit into the holder head with the slit in the pilot shank going over the blade, both are then secured with a single set screw. I also have the instructions, free for the asking.

Pepe Ray
10-25-2020, 06:22 PM
Pressman, You nailed it. I would have expounded more initially but thought it may be too ancient. I have contacted Redding. Spoke at length with Jay Davis . A very accomodating gentleman. He sent to me copies of what little he had. My eyes are going, so it took much study to understand. Would have been much easier with illustrations. As I have two complete sets of Forster's , I 've been reluctant to order eight custom made pilots. The temptation stems from the fact that the trimming blade also champfers the mouth of the case are same time as it trims. --- - I'd be pleased to entertain any observations or recommendations.
Pepe Ray