PDA

View Full Version : Case Length

GregLaROCHE
10-19-2020, 06:01 PM
I was wondering to what length people trim their brass to. Do you trim it to the exact max length or a little shorter? I trim mine a little shorter. I’m shooting a Marlin sin .45/70 from the eighties.

Texas by God
10-19-2020, 06:35 PM
My Lyman 45th loading manual has "trim to length" listed for each cartridge. That or a smidgen longer is what I trim to.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

gpidaho
10-19-2020, 06:39 PM
Greg: I like to use the chamber length buttons to measure the actual length and trim about .005 short of that. This being for the rifles that are capable of MOA accuracy. Plinking rounds just get trimmed just short of book max. Gp

Norske
10-23-2020, 10:44 PM
As a retiree, I have time to trim with the simple Lee tools. I have the cutter with the wooden knob, and spin the cases with a light weight 7V cordless drill. My trimmers can't be adjusted nor get out of adjustment.

Winger Ed.
10-23-2020, 10:51 PM
I set the trimmer to the 'trim to length', or microscopically shorter than that.

After I de-burr the neck, it comes up a little shorter, and I never have to trim a case twice before its
probably getting thin in the web and is worn out anyway.

I'm not roll crimping anything into a groove, so a case being little on the short side is OK.
Never having a case get too long, is just one less thing I need to be concerned about.

If a case is .010 or .015" under the trim to length, I don't worry about that any more than I do
shooting .22 shorts in a .22LR chamber.

Three44s
10-24-2020, 09:31 AM
It all depends on a number of factors.

In general terms I tend to go with the “trim to” length which is usually 0.010” under maximum with bottle neck cartridges. However there are extenuating factors than can enter into the equation.

I have experienced two Remington rifles, a 788 and a 700 both in 22-250 that had chambers with necks shorter than standard. I had to trim about 0.005” more than the trim to Dimension to eliminate the tell tale bright marks on the case mouth rims.

In the case of .223 brass, I have single shots, bolt guns and AR’s that I have to account for. My brass as I process it runs from 0.005” over chamber max to 0.020” under max after just full length sizing. The bulk of my brass cleans up at around 1.747” and fired in my CZ 527 comes out to 1.751 or 1.752”.

Now I am done trimming for a good while because I Lee Collet neck size that brass until it needs a touch up in a FL die again.

Also, with .223 I have a lot of it and have needs for 222 Rem and 7.62x25 mm brass so a shorter case or a neck split from forming 7 mm TCU does not get trash canned.

“Eat everything but the squeal” is my moto!

Three44s

robg
10-24-2020, 11:09 AM
use the lee trimmer myself no adjustments to get wrong ,simple like me

Rebel Dave
10-27-2020, 01:37 PM
Lee trimmers for all my calibres. Simple, and easy to use, whats not to like. Cost efective also.
Dave

MUSTANG
10-27-2020, 02:34 PM
I have Lee for every caliber I shoot; but now have the Little Crow Gunworks Worlds Finest Trimmers for processing .223, .308, and 30-06. I use each as they came from the Manufacturer. The .308 actually cuts shorter than the "Recommended Cut to Length"; but they are highly consistent so works well for developing consistent loads. I like that I can size brass then trim - even after priming (but you need to ensure you do not get brass chips n the case). I have a lyman trimmer for most calibers and rarely use it. I do use a Lyman Trimmer for trimming my 50BMG; but I have a Lee Trimmer for those too.