PDA

View Full Version : Nice score at the swap meet!

BobT
10-19-2020, 05:03 AM
This past Saturday there was a small gun and dog swap meet down the road a few miles so I decided to go and look around. I was on the verge of leaving when I spotted a plumbers furnace sitting beside a truck. I have always wanted to try a plumbers furnace for smelting so I went to investigate. After a small amount of haggling I was the proud owner of a rusty old propane furnace complete with the valve and propane bottle, along with this I got approximately 80lbs of what appears to be pure PB, nearly all of which was in the form of Maxi Balls of .32, .36, .45 and .50 calibers. Along with the other treasures there was a box of casting stuff containing a Lee 10lb bottom pour pot, 4 different ladles and 2 TC Maxi Ball molds a .50 and a .32. Yesterday I finally got time to dig through the stuff a little and plug in the pot, it worked like a new one no leaks at all. I figured I might as well try out the molds while I had the pot going so I cast a few Maxi Balls, both molds dropped beautiful boolits once they were up to temp. By the time everything was said and done I figure I bought the lead at a fairly good price and everything else was free :bigsmyl2:

GregLaROCHE
10-19-2020, 05:10 AM
Great score!

richhodg66
10-19-2020, 06:00 AM
Congrats. A guy has to be situationally aware for good deals. I hope you're a muzzle loading enthusiast.

gbrown
10-19-2020, 07:30 AM
Good job, fellow! Great find, lucky you!

lightman
10-19-2020, 09:18 AM
Nice Score!

tigweldit
10-19-2020, 09:25 AM
Way to go! It often pays to check out the parking lots.

swheeler
10-19-2020, 09:55 AM
You did good, real good!

mattw
10-19-2020, 10:11 AM
Way to go, I always wanted the propane one. I do it now on a large deep fryer so no need. I did have a white gas one, key being did have one. Never trusted it, always used it outside. One day it went up in flames, I assume the valve seat failed and dumped full pressure and volume to it.

bedbugbilly
10-19-2020, 10:45 AM
Congrats! There really is gold at the end of the rainbow! Sounds like you got a lot of good and useful things!

JoeJames
10-19-2020, 10:53 AM
I still have an ancient white gas plumber's forge. I used it with some success about 25 years ago, and recently tried it out; but gave up and got me a used Lee 10 production pot. I really got tired of trying to keep the plumber's forge pumped up and full of gas. Age of it may have been a problem too. I can certainly understand how one that uses propane would be world's better.