PDA

View Full Version : Custom Mold Guide Lyman Mag 25

Wm Cook
10-18-2020, 07:03 PM
I did my searches and couldn't come up with any threads on this. So if I missed something major correct me and I'll adjust.

I'm starting up my second Lyman Mag 25. Don't ask about the first. Ugly story there.

As with the first Mag 25 the guide on the Lyman is designed to fit Lyman molds. Surprise, surprise.

I see two options.

The NOE guide option which I already have.
Design the Lyman guide like it should have been done.

The re-design would include:

One sided like the NOE guide.
Same length as the Lyman.
Same pivot on the rear of the guide (5mm bolt) as the Lyman.
Same round pivot point ahead of the pivot slot bolt as on the Lyman.
Same/similar mold bump stop like the Lyman.
Have the nice wide plate like the NOE so it would fit all molds even the HP's on the MP.

By my measurements I have:

RCBS @ 1.256" width
Lyman @ 1.381" width
NOE @ 1.462" width
MP @ 1.515' width

About the NOE.

I really like the open on one side so you have room to slide the mold in and not have to jockey it between two sides.
I do not like the one point horizontal pivot.
I do not like having a vertical pivot.
I really like the width of the surface on the NOE guide.
I love the price.

About the Lyman (on the Mag 25).

I like the extra 1 1/2 inch length over the NOE. Gives me room to surf the mold in place.
I like having the pivot option on the far end of the guide. That requires the round button that allows the guide to pivot.
I kind of like the mold stopper. I've always had issues with drip and it drives me crazy when I get a leaking drop on the first cavity fill.

This isn't rocket science is it? Someone somewhere on the site must have an answer for this and I just can't find it. Getting old and too picky. At least that's what my wife tells me.
269686 269687

BC17A
10-18-2020, 07:28 PM
I keep meaning to do something with my Mag25 also, so I'll be watching.

Wm Cook
10-18-2020, 07:39 PM
If only I was a machinist who could knock out 25 of these for the group.

Wm Cook
10-18-2020, 08:14 PM
Shoot, a CNC end mill could chew them out in no time. But, I’m not a machinist so I could be greatly underestimating this. I really think the mold stop would be necessary.

USSR
10-18-2020, 09:03 PM
No need for any of this. I simply turn the guide to the left and rest my mould on the high spots on each side of the guide.

Don

dannyd
10-18-2020, 09:22 PM
The first NOE doesn't work I think they have a new one that NOE fixed the problems.

Wm Cook
10-18-2020, 10:16 PM
Looks like NOE made a couple of modifications. It’ll fit both the new RCBS and the Lyman.

And I understand USSR’s option of cocking it to the side and riding the rails. As an NRA instructor I’m sure he’s forgotten more than I’ll ever know about casting.

But for me I can use all the help I can get and having a fence to guide the mold under the spigot the same way every time helps.

On my first Mag 25 I pulled the guide off the Lyman plate and attempted to mill the sides to accept wider molds like the NOE and that aluminum button on the Lyman guide that allows the plate to pivots laterally was an issue. I remember some consternation with that. Talking to NOE led me to buying the guide they made. In a lot of ways it’s better than the Lyman because of its universal acceptance of molds, the wide landing platform and the single side rail to guide the mold. But I think the single horizontal pivot point and it’s short length length has some drawbacks. The length issue is more noticeable on multiple cavity brass.

winelover
10-19-2020, 07:03 AM
Just turn it upside down. I did that with mine. Might need to add some longer bolts.

Winelover

Wm Cook
10-19-2020, 08:28 AM
Flipping just the guide (removing it off the plate that mounted with the long bolts with the wing nuts) will take it off the pivot stud would it not? And yes a longer 5mm bolt would let you bolt it back on. But don’t you miss having the side like on the NOE to align the mold with the spigot?

Wm Cook
10-19-2020, 10:27 PM
I knew this field had been plowed before!!! What a great group for support.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?342124-Replacement-Mold-Guide-for-Lyman-MAG25-Casting-Pot-(also-works-with-RCBS-Pro-Melt)

winelover
10-20-2020, 06:26 AM
Flipping just the guide (removing it off the plate that mounted with the long bolts with the wing nuts) will take it off the pivot stud would it not? And yes a longer 5mm bolt would let you bolt it back on. But don’t you miss having the side like on the NOE to align the mold with the spigot?

No two moulds are exactly a like, especially, if you use different manufacturers. Some of the custom mould makers offer different size (width)blocks. So, that would be a no.

Winelover

Rich/WIS
10-20-2020, 10:49 AM
Had the problem with the Lyman guide as well, trough was too narrow. Took a piece of roof flashing and after several tries made a cover that goes over the mold guide with ridges on both sides with enough width between the ridges for either the LEE 6 cavity or NOE 5 cavity molds.

Wm Cook
10-20-2020, 11:48 AM
Winelover would you do us a favor and show us a picture of your mold guide on your pot?

Rich how wide are the Lee 6 NOE 5?

And do you run any HP?

BC17A
10-20-2020, 09:45 PM
Just turn it upside down. I did that with mine. Might need to add some longer bolts.

Winelover

I did that today and it works like a charm, thanks for the idea. With a few strokes of a file, the stop fits also.

winelover
10-21-2020, 06:33 AM
Good job, BC17A............ I don't believe mine ever came with a mould stop.

Winelover.

Rich/WIS
10-21-2020, 08:56 AM
NOE and LEE are just under 1.5 inches. My set-up would not work with a HP mold.