PDA

View Full Version : Merit aperture

beemer
10-17-2020, 09:34 PM
I have been tinkering with aperture sights on my Marlin levers. I recently found a Redfield aperture with multiple size holes, seems to help a lot. I was looking at the Merit apertures, the web site is up but they are not taking orders and everyone is out of stock. Does anyone know what is going on, are they completely shut down or closed because of this panic?

Dave

Nueces
10-17-2020, 11:47 PM
I believe Merit stopped production of their iris apertures some years ago. Nice examples on ebay have begun to top $100.

I bought my first one from Brownells for $8.50 nearly 50 years ago.

sigep1764
10-18-2020, 01:46 AM
Really happy with the Skinner sight on my 336. It comes standard with two different sizes of apertures. Its not as fine as a peep sight, but they are accurate and quick to acquire.

smithnframe
10-18-2020, 06:30 AM
I have a Merit aperture that attaches to my lens of my glasses.......works like a champ when I remember I have it!

trebor44
10-18-2020, 08:42 AM
I have a Merit aperture that attaches to my lens of my glasses.......works like a champ when I remember I have it!

Even though I have mine in my shooting bag, over the past few years I forget to use it. It does make a difference when looking at the sights. I did get it specifically for pistol shooting and need to get back to using it since that front sight is disappearing into the mist.

Patrick L
10-19-2020, 02:35 PM
Not exactly the same, but related. Age was really taking a toll on my pistol shooting since I couldn't focus on the front sight anymore. I'm nearsighted so my distance glasses didn't help, and I was now losing my up close focus. When I made the leap to progressive bifocals it was the saving grace! By experimenting with the angle of my head, I could find the " sweet spot" in the progressive lenses that had the sights sharp again. Just saying...

Alstep
10-19-2020, 09:37 PM
Unfortunately, Merit is out of business. As you mentioned, Redfield made a nice disk with multiple apertures. Vaver and Marbles, and others made similar rear site disks. Today, Anschutz and Gahman of Germany make excellent sights, but are pricey. And vintage sights are going up in price too. It's a shame gun shows are shut down, used to see that stuff all the time. Good luck in your search.

Remmy4477
10-19-2020, 09:45 PM
I have a Merrit #4 I use on a marlin 1894S, picked it off of ebay several years ago mounted on an old lyman receiver sight, did not give much for it. Love the darn thing!

Calamity Jake
10-20-2020, 08:06 PM
Take a look at these https://eyepalusa.com/, I've been using one for 4-5 years, just stick it to your shooting glasses.

beemer
10-20-2020, 09:13 PM
I guess that I will keep looking. I do have a selection of apertures that will work for now.

Thanks Guys,
Dave

Nueces
10-21-2020, 10:22 AM
I put a Merit 4LS hunting aperture on my Marlin 1895 in 1972, set the iris size and have left it unchanged for nearly 50 years. So....a properly sized fixed aperture works well.