PDA

View Full Version : Missing a piece on Lee Classic cast

la5676
10-17-2020, 06:46 PM
I've had a Lee Classic Cast breech lock press for a while. Got it on one of Lee's close out deals, just too good to pass up. Dang thing is as sturdy as any Rockchucker I've ever seen. It has the "primer drop through the ram" feature, but I think I'm missing something. About half or more of the primers drop out the slot to the right, it seems like this should have a plug in it to prevent primers flying out this way, and to direct them to the little hole that then takes them to the tube that goes straight down into a bucket/trash can. I just recently got it out to full length size and deprime a boatload of .223 cases. Typically spent a while each evening vacuuming up the mess.

I don't see this part on their site. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? And, no, duct tape own't work here, already thought about that.[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

lawdog941
10-17-2020, 07:02 PM
That's where the primer arm goes. It also prevents spent primers from going out the slot.

la5676
10-17-2020, 07:16 PM
I don’t prime on this press, I use a Frankford Arsenal hand primer. Soooo, guess I’ll type “primer arm” in Midway or Brownells Monday and get this coming. Surprised it didn’t come with the press.

Thanks

WebMonkey
10-17-2020, 07:24 PM
used to be a seller on ebay that sold a 3d printed 'insert' that went in place of the priming arm.

as stated above, you need 'something' in there to guide the primers on down the ram.

good luck.

'monkey

la5676
10-17-2020, 08:03 PM
used to be a seller on ebay that sold a 3d printed 'insert' that went in place of the priming arm.

as stated above, you need 'something' in there to guide the primers on down the ram.

good luck.

'monkey

I’m not much for googling on my phone, I’m out with the grandkids tonight, but is this it?

Edit to add:
Home now, I see I can't include links from the phone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Classic-Cast-Breechlock-Press-90999-Magnetic-spent-primer-plug-3D-printed/114256709627?hash=item1a9a3b07fb:g:iTcAAOSwPVJfBSj E

la5676
10-17-2020, 09:10 PM
That's where the primer arm goes. It also prevents spent primers from going out the slot.
I see now. Went to the ever helpful youtube. Did not realize it also deflected the spent primer. I just normally don't prime on the press, so never got that part out.

Thanks again guys.

abunaitoo
10-18-2020, 02:30 AM
I put a thin layer of epoxy over the slot.
Thin enough that it can be knocked out if needed.

la5676
10-18-2020, 10:11 AM
I put a thin layer of epoxy over the slot.
Thin enough that it can be knocked out if needed.

I ordered a small primer arm just for the heck of it, for a back up should my epoxy job fail. If you looked at any of those pics or videos of samples, all were very short slots. My slots on the ram goes almost to the bottom of the ram on the upstroke. Didn't look like any of the pics. Hence, my order of the arm for back up.

Thanks guys.

I was truly having my senior moment today

William Yanda
10-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Sounds like a perfect job for.......Duct Tape.

Ed_Shot
10-18-2020, 10:37 AM
I don't prime with my press, and I realize it depends on how your handle adjusted but a piece of 1" dia. heater hose covers the slot and rides up and down with the ram. The hose is slit lengthwise and has plenty of tension to stay in place. Same piece has been on my press for years. Easy to remove and reinstall when I have to adjust ram travel for jobs like primer pocket swaging.

robg
10-18-2020, 12:11 PM
yep you have to leave a primer arm in place or the primers go everywhere .

WebMonkey
10-18-2020, 02:11 PM
I’m not much for googling on my phone, I’m out with the grandkids tonight, but is this it?

Edit to add:
Home now, I see I can't include links from the phone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Classic-Cast-Breechlock-Press-90999-Magnetic-spent-primer-plug-3D-printed/114256709627?hash=item1a9a3b07fb:g:iTcAAOSwPVJfBSj E

that would do it.
:)

la5676
10-18-2020, 08:25 PM
I don't prime with my press, and I realize it depends on how your handle adjusted but a piece of 1" dia. heater hose covers the slot and rides up and down with the ram. The hose is slit lengthwise and has plenty of tension to stay in place. Same piece has been on my press for years. Easy to remove and reinstall when I have to adjust ram travel for jobs like primer pocket swaging.

That would not work on the breechlock press. Dunno why they primer relief cut is different, but that short rubber tube would not stop the primers from falling out on mine. See video at 3:11, and you can see how long the cut is in the ram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OrNXfOsNXM

I'll need the primer arm attached at the very least, or that magnetic insert in lieu of the primer arm. Notice the difference in the ram in the link above and the one I included in the ebay link in post #5, the 4th pic of the group.

44magLeo
10-18-2020, 08:25 PM
I have read a piece of drinking straw slipped in there does the trick. May have to visit several fast food places to find one just the right size.
Leo

la5676
10-18-2020, 08:31 PM
I have read a piece of drinking straw slipped in there does the trick. May have to visit several fast food places to find one just the right size.
Leo

Now, why didn't I think of that. I'm assuming the straw goes all the way up to the base of the shell holder. Maybe even one of those bendy straws. I'm headed down there now.

Thanks