PDA

View Full Version : Mounting handles to mold

Bashby
10-17-2020, 07:27 AM
Watching some how to videos on casting the other day, I noticed the “expert” had his handles mounted opposite of the way I’ve been doing it. This seems like a “Whatever works best for you” type of thing, but I’m curious if I’m the only one doing it this way:269564

I use an old broken off hammer handle to break the sprue, as was the guy in the video. Seems to me it would be awkward to hit it on the top right of the mold.

Gonna try to post a poll... never done that before!

Guardian
10-17-2020, 08:35 AM
I voted “other” because some of my moulds are set up with the sprue hinge near the handle hinge and some are set up with the sprue hinge at the outside end. LEE 6 cavity moulds have a ha sleep on the sprue plate and are arranged from the factory with the sprue hinge on the outside end. Most other moulds, though, I run with the sprue hinge near the handle hinge.

I use a rawhide mallet to cut the sprue on most of my moulds. I’m right handed, so the mallet tends to be in my right hand. I could see turning it around if you were left handed. In the end, whatever works for you and causes bullets to rain from your mould!

fa38
10-17-2020, 08:43 AM
Hinge towards the handles. I use a gloved hand to open the sprue with the thumb pressing the sprue plate down on the mold. If its a multi cavity mold and the sprue is hard to shear off I put the edge or point of the mold on the bench and use the heel of my gloved hand pressing down to break the sprue.

Bashby
10-17-2020, 08:46 AM
Something I just thought of, if I did it the opposite way, it would be possible for the sprue plate to swing around and burn my hand.

Guardian
10-17-2020, 08:51 AM
Not if that hand is gloved.

44MAG#1
10-17-2020, 09:05 AM
I just don't understand all this. Why can't people do it the way they want to? To much to do about nothing much.

tazman
10-17-2020, 09:23 AM
Not if that hand is gloved.

I can't wear gloves and cast. I am too clumsy with gloves on(think dropping the mold on a concrete floor).
I am just very careful where my hands are when I cast.

shell70634
10-17-2020, 09:29 AM
Try both ways, do what you like.

Gtek
10-17-2020, 10:10 AM
That type and style of mold is not in my pile but had a thought post reading. Why could you not make a flat plate tool of steel or aluminum with two dowels to place into those two convenient holes off edge and lever. No hitting on that aluminum mold, leverage? And just for fun check the bottom of plate and the countersinks for sharpness as just about everyone that lives here needed some attention.

kevin c
10-17-2020, 12:16 PM
All my molds are 5 to 8 cavity versions and have a separate cammed handle to open the sprue plate. That necessarily puts the hinge bolt for the plate on the far end of the right hand mold block (opens away from the handle end).

1-2 cavity block molds I don't have, but, on thinking about it, either way seems functional. So I guess it's whatever floats your boat.

Winger Ed.
10-17-2020, 01:14 PM
Just a wild guess:

That guy might be left handed, and opens the sprue plate by hand with a glove.

I have mine turned 180 degrees from the picture and open my sprue plates by hand with a heavy welding glove.
If its all still pretty hot, that works fine and the sprue isn't hard to cut.

Conditor22
10-17-2020, 01:39 PM
I set the mold handle/side on a piece of wood then smack/tap the sprue plate with a leather mallet (takes a lot of stress off the hand holding the mold handles). it's easier to hit the sprue plate if it's sticking out the end.
I have a pan next to the wood to collect the sprues

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-17-2020, 01:55 PM
I open the sprue plate with a Gloved hand (not a stick/club).
I'll tap the hinge pin with a stick/club if the boolits don't fall out by themselves.

Mal Paso
10-17-2020, 01:57 PM
I don't understand any of this. If I am right handed why is the mold in my LEFT hand? Which leaves my right hand to tap the sprue cutter which has to be outboard to swing Left.

Am I just Left Handed and don't know it?

Bashby
10-17-2020, 02:16 PM
I don't understand any of this. If I am right handed why is the mold in my LEFT hand? Which leaves my right hand to tap the sprue cutter which has to be outboard to swing Left.

I am right handed. I hold the mold in my left hand and use my right to operate the valve on my bottom pour pot. The operating handle is on the right side so it would be impossible to do it the other way. I can do this while still holding onto my whacker in my right hand. Then I give it a wack, dump and repeat.

GoBig
10-17-2020, 02:56 PM
I am right handed. I hold the mold in my left hand and use my right to operate the valve on my bottom pour pot. The operating handle is on the right side so it would be impossible to do it the other way. I can do this while still holding onto my whacker in my right hand. Then I give it a wack, dump and repeat.

I do as bashby does. Holding a mold handle seems to me is a gross motor skill, operating the lead flow handle, flipping the sprue plate and using the broom handle is more fine motor skill, suited to my dominant hand.

Winger Ed.
10-17-2020, 03:25 PM

If ya are, at least you'll be in your right mind.:bigsmyl2: