PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Powder Funnel/Flare Modification

Darth Jäger
10-16-2020, 11:58 AM
I got lucky a few years ago and was asked if I was interested in a slightly used Dillon press by a co-worker. He brought it in and it turns out to be a Dillon square deal B from the early nineties, set up for 9mm. So I low ball him with an offer of $30 and he takes it :shock: I've never bothered making reloads for autos before because I have single stage presses, but this changes things now :smile:

Everything is great except two things, the cases stick to the funnel a bit (annoying) and the belling sucks (more annoying). Some of you are familiar with this I'm sure. The bullet sits not so great, a little cocked at times.
Well I solved the first problem by throwing the cases in a rotary tumbler with lizard litter (crushed walnut) and Nu Finish. Presto, no more case sticking.

Now to solve the second problem. I make .357 & .44 mag loads using newer (post 2008) RCBS dies that have a two diameter expander plug that creates a short section of bullet diameter to hold the bullet. The bullet sits in the counterbore & doesn't rock around and the expanded portion has no trouble going into the seating die. Just like a Lyman M die. So . . . . . time to get to work.

The first pic is it blued up ready for the lathe. Second pic is now modified, and third pic is compared to a brand new funnel.
I did this a few weeks ago (took me a whole 15 minutes) and wish I did it years ago [smilie=b: Needless to say . . . . problem solved :happy dance:

JimB..
10-16-2020, 12:59 PM
SDB is a great press. Nice mod.

sukivel
10-17-2020, 02:46 AM
I still can’t get over the fact that you got a SDB or 30 bucks!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lloyd Smale
10-17-2020, 05:48 AM
ya you stole that one!

Darth Jäger
10-17-2020, 03:42 PM
I still can’t get over the fact that you got a SDB or 30 bucks!!!!!!

My boat has yet to come in (I think it sank) so I have to rely on blind luck for any wins like that.
I was nervous for a week because I work with him, that he was gonna say something like "hey, can we talk about that press?"
But it's been like three years now, and I still see him at work, so I should be in the clear. :bigsmyl2:

kevin c
10-18-2020, 04:56 AM
Unless he becomes a member here... ;^]