PDA

View Full Version : What do think? Will my apple tree survive???

Tripplebeards
10-16-2020, 09:57 AM
I grew this twig from a seed almost a decade ago. I planted it on the boulevard the summer before last. I accidentally got too close to it with my homemade brush hog and chipped about half of the base away A couple months ago. It’s still stayed standing so I put on some bark repair which is the black spot down at the base. The wind storm took it down the night before last.

https://i.imgur.com/jahoK2y.jpg

Believe it or not about an inch wide cambium layer and bark is still attached. It’s flopping around still attached the last 6” of base and root ball. Instead of digging it up and just throwing it away I did dig it up and dug the hole about 2 1/2 feet deep and re-buried it so the break that is still attached is about a good foot and a half below the dirt. I packed it down pretty tight and put the grass back on it and also piled it in a metal steak and tied the tree to it. So what do you think will it grow roots where the break is or is it done? If it survives I hope it grows roots by the brake so so it won’t blow over again.

BK7saum
10-16-2020, 10:06 AM
Not sure about Apple trees, but oak trees will die if you cover a significant part of the trunk with soil. This is in regard to dirt work where the ground level is raised at the tree. Your apple tree may not survive the re-burying due to this.

Tripplebeards
10-16-2020, 10:11 AM
I figure it’ll be a good experiment instead of just Cutting it up and using it for smoking wood. Our growing season is done so I’m sure the tree will be going dormant and I’m sure root growth does not happen this time of year.

bedbugbilly
10-16-2020, 11:04 AM
Are you going to stake it up? I'm not an expert by ant means but over the years, I've had various species of trees that have gotten damaged - damaged by deer, storms or a mower getting too close and scuffing the bark. I consider a tree as in the picture a "sapling" and often, they need the support of being staked - I used to use a wire through a loop of old garden hose to surround the sapling to attached to the stake as it prevents wear on the bark. We do the same to sahuaro cactus here in AZ that need support in order to get established.

I had a silver maple one time that a buck came into the yard and used as a "rub". I was convinced that I would lose the tree it was torn up so badly but I decided to let nature take care of it and see if it would survive rather than cut it down. I always kept a gallon of plastic roof cement (we used to call it bear _ _ _ _ in a can) on hand and when I trimmed a large branch from a tree, I'd take a putty knife and spread it on the spot where the limb had been. I took the plastic roof cement and coated the area where the buck had rubbed on the silver maple and just let it be. To my surprise, it survived even though there was minimum cambium layer intact. We sold the house but the tree is still doing very well some 30 yers after the buck almost stripp0ed the trunk of the bark.

I also had a number of apple trees - some I planted and some that were orphans that nature planted. They always seemed to be pretty hardy trees. Some were pretty good sized and would get storm damage, etc. and I would just prune them up, spread the plastic roof cement on the open areas and they always kept growing.

Hopefully your apple will make it as I'm sure you are very fond of it since you started it from seed. Stake it with maybe three stakes so it has support, protect the trunk and main stem and there is a good chance it will make it.

Tripplebeards
10-16-2020, 12:10 PM
Yeah I pounded a six foot metal stake in the ground and tied it up to it. I figured I would leave it staked for a season or two now until it gets some new roots established.

bangerjim
10-16-2020, 02:39 PM
Do a Google search "do apple trees grow from cuttings" and you will get tons (37 million hits!) of info.

Tripplebeards
10-16-2020, 03:21 PM
I've grafted four kinds of apples into my other tree. I was just wondering if this tree will survive after being knocked out by Tyson. Alot of stress isn't good for a tree. Guessing as long as I have it staked in place it will keep growing and eventually it will root at the brake I have buried a foot and half under the ground.

jonp
10-16-2020, 04:49 PM
Don't think that one will make it. Take some cuttings and graft onto something else maybe a pear tree

GregLaROCHE
10-16-2020, 05:21 PM
If you still have a good part of the cambium layer, half or more it may survive. However, it will be subject to attack by insects and rot in the future. The majority, if not all of Apple trees today are grafted. A seed from an Apple will not produce the same apples. Normally not as interesting to eat. That’s just the way it is. If you want the best chance of having a viable tree with good eating apples, I suggest cutting it off below the damaged area and finding a good graft for it. You have the advantage that the root system is already well established. Many people don’t know, but roots do continue to grow in winter. Check with a local extension university near you to find out more about the right time of for the graft that is best for you. Spring will probably be the right time for the type of graft needed. It’s not the most practical thing to do, but if you want something interesting to do try it.

Tripplebeards
10-16-2020, 06:10 PM
Greg I got lucky and grew an apple that only took 10 yeara.lol...and it tastes exactly like a honey crisp!
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?375311-I-could-use-some-honey-crisp-apple-scions/page3

I think my brake is to close to my rootball so I'll ride it out and see what happens.

trapper9260
10-16-2020, 06:21 PM
That tree will not make it, it is too far gone . Cut it even where it broke and then put some sealer like you did and see if there is any shoots come up next year and if some dose, pick the stronger one of the ones and work on that one . You might need to brace it at first till it have a stronger base that you will not need the brace .

bangerjim
10-16-2020, 06:26 PM
Check with a local plant nursery for the special nutrient powder used on starting stuff like this.You have to put it ON the bottom open end of the tree. We used it on some trees started from sprigs back in Michigan and they did grow. I have heard of people starting a whole orchard from the sprigs from just one tree. Grafting must normally be done to give the young twig some start. With your severely damaged sprout pictured, I doubt if you will see much success by just sticking it in the ground. If it were a succulent type plant (cactus, etc) they will grow from a piece just laying on the ground!!!!! Don't ask me why my front yard is full of cactus plants that I did not plant!!!!!

Duckiller
10-16-2020, 08:25 PM
You have buried the graft. Hard telling what you are going to get. If you really liked the apples from this tree go buy another just like it and start over. Much better than wqiting several years to see what will this tree may produce.

Alstep
10-16-2020, 09:44 PM
Burying that poor tree so far below it's natural level will choke it to death. Plus you completely disturbed the root system. You'd been better off to just straightening it upright, wrapping the wound, and staking it. Apple trees are remarkably tough if just left alone. The only enemies they have when they're small like that are mice & deer. Hope by some miracle it pulls through for you.

Tripplebeards
10-17-2020, 09:58 AM
You have buried the graft. Hard telling what you are going to get. If you really liked the apples from this tree go buy another just like it and start over. Much better than wqiting several years to see what will this tree may produce.

There is no graft...I grew the tree from a seed.

Imo the tree is already dead but figured I’d re bury it deeper and see if it will root from the brake...maybe it won’t, or maybe it will and and stay weak, and blow over again. I do have some rooting hormone laying around. I should have made sone fresh cuts on it and dipped it before re burring. I might have to dig it bach up, make some slice through the bark, dip it in rooting compound, and Remington bury it again. I’ll wait to see if it leaves out in the spring. If not I’ll dig it up and use it in my smoker.

Tripplebeards
10-17-2020, 12:31 PM
I dug it up and tried to gently pull it out. It broke off from the root ball with zero force when doing so. Glad I messed with it because I'm sure it wouldn't have taken after I saw how easy it broke off the root ball and I'm sure the one in the bucket would have been Winter killed. I whistled "taps" and cut it up for smoking wood. I had one more tree left I started a decade ago still in a bucket and planted it in its place. It has a goofy trunk but figured I'd plant it anyways.

BK7saum
10-18-2020, 08:50 AM
Just rebury the root ball back to the original level. It should sprout. The tree will grow much quicker from an oversized, established root system than from a seed.

dangitgriff
10-18-2020, 10:44 AM
The pic you posted jostled a memory I have when my dad ran over a pecan tree sapling and flattened it out sometime in the 1990’s. He’s dead but that tree is now 35 feet high and shading the front porch where momma likes to sit in the afternoons and count the pecans budding out in its canopy.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-18-2020, 02:18 PM
What do think? Will my apple tree survive???
I think you already know the answer ...But I would be trying the same thing you are doing, Stake and wait.
Maybe you'll get lucky and some new chutes grow from the roots.