PDA

View Full Version : Video on Casting on Youtube - sceered the fire out of me

JoeJames
10-13-2020, 04:26 PM
Idly looking around on Youtube and watched this one: Casting Bullets on a Budget (Part 1 of 5) - Setup and Safety - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Casting+Bullets+on+a+Budget

Now I am still in grammer school as far as casting boolits goes, but this feller - anyhow the Lord must watch over fools now and then. Worst thing among many - he had a two inch deep rectangular tray of water no more than 10 inches or so from his Lee Melter, and to top that he said the first few boolits would not be very good; so just toss 'em back in the melter (wet boolits). I started watching it because he a new Lee double cavity 430 - 240 mold, and I have been using one for just a few weeks. Oh also he got it out of the box, did not clean the inside of the mold, did not smoke the cavities, and did not lube the sprue plate or the pins. And he said if a boolit was stuck in the mold, just hit the mold block with a piece of wood.

Mitch
10-13-2020, 04:54 PM
Well now you kow what you do not want to do from the sound of it.
I normaly do not smoke a mold most do not need it just make a black mess.
I dont toss bad bullets or sprues back into the pot till i am ready to refill the pot.if you watch the temp on the thermometer or pid you will see the temp coll off more than you may want.
One thing i see sigested here alot is the clean the mold i clean it one time when new.Make sure it is clean soap and water then some break cleaner blow dry.i dont clean it agin unless i know i got something in the mold.casting and cleaning over and over take the patiena off the mold you just got.If i have a brpblem mols i get it up to temp cast a bit and put it back till the next time i hvae time to cas with it.this way after a few sessions it starts cating bettter.
I lube only with a good 2 cycle oil.most anything else migrates in the cavitys and make big problems that are tuff to get out.
Every one has there own way of doing things with anew mold.I try not to do things that will cotaminate the cavitys or spoil what break in i hvae done.So Use you own judgement on what you want to do.A mix of ideads will get you to the point of what works for you.

Bull-Moose
10-13-2020, 04:57 PM
There are a lot of videos out there showing wrong or dangerous methods. That guy is one of them.

10ring1
10-13-2020, 07:33 PM
I am brand new to casting. Gathering supplies now. I saw a great video but can't remember where. Anyone have any sources for good information?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JoeJames
10-13-2020, 09:02 PM
I am brand new to casting. Gathering supplies now. I saw a great video but can't remember where. Anyone have any sources for good information?

Sent from my SM-G975U using TapatalkDon't watch the one I mentioned unless you want to learn how to do everything wrong, and get spattered with molten lead along the way. Scary.

GregLaROCHE
10-13-2020, 10:29 PM
That video is nine years old. Lucky there are now a lot of better ones out there. I learned a lot from fortunecookie45lc.

44Blam
10-14-2020, 01:01 AM
By now, that guy has stopped dropping wet boolits into the lead...

MT Chambers
10-14-2020, 01:12 AM
You think you're sceered, we're all sceered.....

Mr_Sheesh
10-14-2020, 07:07 AM
Tinsel Fairy visits are no fun, I hear.

GregLaROCHE
10-14-2020, 07:25 AM
There are videos of people casting in the rain and even pouring water on top of molten lead. What brings the tinsel fairy out is when there is water trapped underneath and it is rapidly turned into superheated steam and explodes.

redhawk0
10-14-2020, 08:16 AM
I've gotten spatter from humidity on my skimming ladle...I can't imagine a full blast from the tinsel fairy....this guy is just asking for it.

redhawk

trapper9260
10-14-2020, 08:24 AM
I did not watch much of it and after seeing the set up it looks like he have no ventilation. that is not good .

reloader28
10-14-2020, 09:32 AM
I didnt watch the video but i always put the sprue and junk boolits back in the pot. It works perfectly fine

edited....I did go watch it and I do things WAY different than that guy. He should not be doing an instructional video

bedbugbilly
10-14-2020, 12:04 PM
video camera + youtube = "expert"

I know, 'cause "I saw it on the 'net".

fredj338
10-14-2020, 01:39 PM
Why Boobtube vids should always be approached with caution. You have to know enough to know crap from caviar.

JoeJames
10-14-2020, 02:09 PM
Well, it would be worthwhile, if there was a covering video on what not to do. I did not notice that part 2 was not available, and that's the one where he allegedly was casting. Some of them wet boolits he said to throw into the melt probably messed it up.

BTW: "I didnt watch the video but i always put the sprue and junk boolits back in the pot. It works perfectly fine"

I do the same thing after the level in the pot has gotten kind of low. That's when I add all the stuff and then let it heat back up again, and flux again.

dannyd
10-14-2020, 03:04 PM
If you want to Learn to Cast there are some real good books about it. And wear protective gear because you are going to get Burned. But your goal is to limit it to a 1st Degree and a 3rd Degree. ;)