PDA

View Full Version : M&P 25-20 Mold

Rick B
10-13-2020, 01:13 PM
About 10 days ago Miha of M&P Molds completed the production run of this group buy. Ordered the 257-640 mold on Sunday Was on the doorstep midday Wednesday. DHL shipping is really fast. This mold is a three cavity hollow point, at 73 grains. This will probably turn out to cast the ultimate 25-20 bullet. He generally makes extra's, which would be available on his webstore.
Rick

jwhite
10-15-2020, 07:45 AM
Thanks for posting! I went and ordered one right away, woke up to email stating it had been shipped. First mold from Miha and looking forward to receiving and trying it out.
Should be fun for both the 25-20wcf and the 25-45 sharps.

Rick B
10-15-2020, 01:41 PM
Hope you enjoy your first M&P mold. Search this site for tips on casting with HP molds. It will save a lot of time. Cleaning the cavities well, heat cycling the mold about 4 times before initial use. Not tightening the guide pins completely, leaving them a 1/4 turn loose. And most important really hot metal.Start with the pot set at 850 degrees. These brass Cramer style molds will then rain boolits.

We now live in the Golden Age of bullet casting. Never before has a boolit caster, had the options and availability to custom molds. Been at this a while, prior to the current generation of custom mold producers; custom molds were hard to come by and lead time were often a year plus. Current makers such as Accurate, M&P, Mountain and NOE did not exist. Quality of the product has been taken to a whole new level, mainly due to CNC machining.

In regards to these group buys that initiate these current offerings, I would like to Thank the Boolit Designers, The Honcho's and the Producers. In this case Two Dogs and M&P.
Rick

FISH4BUGS
10-16-2020, 01:40 PM
I am just getting into 25-20.
I was gifted a pristine 1924 born Savage Sporter in 25-20 and have assembled all the moulds, dies and brass.
Any reloading data out there?
I use 231 and 296 for pistol powders.

Rick B
10-16-2020, 03:00 PM
Marlin Forum has a very long running thread on 25-20. Numerous posts regarding cast loads. Thread is 78 pages. https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/25-20-reloaders.26002/
Rick

Chris S
10-16-2020, 06:43 PM
Fish4bugs:
Get a pound of 1680 and start with 11-ish grains. Work up a tenth of a grain or so at a time till you get the groups you like. I do not know the mould you mention but the 257420 is pretty much the "standard" for the cartridge.

I have that same rifle and this loading works well.
Chris