PDA

View Full Version : anyone else think Super Blackhawks aren't great

bmortell
10-13-2020, 11:10 AM
was cleaning our 2006 super blackhawk 44mag and got reminded how many things are finicky with it. the loading gate likes to close leaning slightly and catches a ledge not fully seating and sometimes pops back out to that spot when shooting. the hammer pull makes the transfer bar run into the bottom of the firing pin so you almost have to point the gun in the air to cock it so gravity hold the transfer bar away from the firing pin. the trigger dont reset until you take pressure off the hammer since its holding the transfer bar which needs to move for the trigger reset. ive had to shim the mainspring and keep it clean and oiled to reliably set off rounds, bit of dust on the hammer and it falls too soft.

really wouldn't trust it to save me if a bear wanted to eat me. my SRH is great function wise ive never doubted one of its functions. but SBH im confused how everyone has high opinions of them cause most of these seem like design problems.

ShooterAZ
10-13-2020, 11:22 AM
I've not had any of the problems you mentioned with mine. Over the years the only things I needed to do was replace the hammer spring, and I replaced the base pin with a Belt Mountain pin. The original base pin would start slide to out under recoil. Other than that, it has been extremely reliable.

Drm50
10-13-2020, 11:28 AM
I’ve had one for about 60yrs, still got it and it has never failed. Carried it twice for bear protection and it worked perfect. No bears came around. Just the sight of the SBH scared them off!:mrgreen:269334

Cosmic_Charlie
10-13-2020, 11:29 AM
Your situation is why I prefer to buy minty older revolvers. Got a SBH a couple months back that was all but new. Made in 1987. Cost $570 all up and it has zero issues. Ditto with a 1983 24-3 and a 1956 K-38.

megasupermagnum
10-13-2020, 12:10 PM
I've seen a lot of blackhawk, and super blackhawks, and lots more of Rugers with transfer bars. Of what you list, the only problem I have seen was the sticking transfer bar. It is simply too thick. The blackhawk design has stood the test of time, it is a great design. None of those are design problems.

I think it baffling that you would keep such a revolver in that state. You could send it to Ruger, and they would completely fix it free of charge. On a gun that old you would likely have to pay $25 shipping there, but they pay it on the way back.

pworley1
10-13-2020, 12:16 PM
In 50 years of super blackhawks I have never had an issue.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-13-2020, 12:22 PM
I had a SB back in the late '80s. Problem free, and extremely accurate. I let a best friend talk me into selling it to him, with the promise that he'd never let it go. Next time I saw him he had traded it to his son-in-law for an older SB that he had originally gifted him. Haven't owned one since, but I do have a Seville which is almost the same thing.

GOPHER SLAYER
10-13-2020, 01:57 PM
I bought a SBH many decades ago. I never had any of the issues you had but I just did not like the pistol. For my small hands it is too large and too heavy. I know it is built that way for a reason but it is not far me. It should have been called the Ruger Dragoon. A coworker offered to trade me an early three screw Black Hawk 357 and give me some money to boot. I made the trade and I still have the Black Hawk. I like to be able to carry a pistol in a holster on my hip. The SBH is just too big for that. I have a S&W mode 29 that is more comfortable to shoot than the SBH.

DougGuy
10-13-2020, 02:38 PM
Have you contacted Ruger customer support about these issues? They tout themselves as being the BEST in the business, and if you butter them up on the phone and list ALL of what you just listed here, they may nicely send you an RMA, especially if the gun does not cock, that's on them and they know it, so that alone would get it sent back in, and most often they will send the brown truck by with a pre printed label to pick it up from your residence.

They have fixed several over the years for me, and nevre charged me a DIME, not even for shipping both ways! One of my Vaqueros they transformed into a birdshead for nothing!

Win94ae
10-13-2020, 04:32 PM
The original base pin would start slide to out under recoil.

That is why I got rid of mine, then found the aftermarket fix too late.

It was one of my worst shooting handguns.

Texas by God
10-13-2020, 05:37 PM
I have owned exactly two. They were 100% reliable and quite accurate. I don’t like the unfluted cylinder, the grip shape, or the long barrel only option. I switched to the .41 Magnum Blackhawk and never looked back - even when they came out with a 4-5/8” SBH. My 2018 made .41 Blackhawk is as well made as any of my old ones, ( and better finished than some) so if I had one like the OP has, it would already be on its way to Ruger for fixing.

Cargo
10-13-2020, 05:45 PM
I miss my SBH. I bought mine used at a pawnshop for $299 and shot it as often as I could afford to. It was the first revolver my girlfriend, now wife, ever fired. I ended up trading it along with a holster and six boxes of ammo for a puppy for my future in-laws. The only thing that softened that was how much joy it gave my father inlaw.

My SBH was 100% and the only issue I ever had with it was keeping it fed.

Bazoo
10-13-2020, 05:47 PM
I've experienced the loading gate issue with a 357 blackhawk. There is a little tab inside the gate that had a burr in it. I slightly rounded it's edge and the problems went away.

Having the base pin plunger stick will cause the transfer bar to not clear the firing pin.

I certainly would call Ruger on it. Most Ruger new model single actions function perfectly. The only other issue I've ever experienced is a stuck hammer plunger. Not sure the correct name, but it unlatches the lock. Gun will lock up if that sticks. The fix is to remove it and clean the plunger and hole and polish the hole some.

megasupermagnum
10-13-2020, 06:27 PM
I'm a little confused. Is the base pin plunger the button you push to pull the pin out? If so, how does that effect the transfer bar? Also related, how could the base pin's walk out on these under recoil? I've shot some strong loads, and I've never had it happen to me.

Bazoo
10-13-2020, 06:48 PM
The base pin plunger is on the transfer bar end. It's a spring loaded teat that pushed the transfer bar away from the frame a bit so it doesn't catch on the firing pin.

jeffugreene
10-13-2020, 07:22 PM
Bought my first and only SBH 31 years ago, I still have it. It was stolen from me and used in two robbery’s and I got it back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockrat
10-13-2020, 11:13 PM
Only problem I had with my 74 gun was had to replace the hammer. Of course, this was after about 15,000+ rounds thru it.

lar45
10-13-2020, 11:59 PM
If you are firing Heavy bullets at max+ velocities, then the base pin can walk out. It just cams the horizontal latch out of the way and wonders on out. The fix is a Belt Mtn base pin that has a screw to lock it inplace. The only thing that I don't like about dealing with Belt Mountain is that you have to mail in your order. Other than that they are great people with a great product.
If you look at the new 5 shot Bisleys in 454 and 480, they have a screw on the base pin to lock it in place.

I agree that it might be best to send it back to Ruger to have them fix everything on the list.
Then when it gets back, install the Belt Mtn base pin.

koyote
10-14-2020, 12:55 AM
My 71 SBH is great....except I sorta wish it was a .41, or a .327.... or something. my 77 Old Army is just about as good. OTOH, my brand spanking new sp101 is a hot mess. maybe there's just "bad years"

nicholst55
10-14-2020, 06:37 AM
I have owned exactly two. They were 100% reliable and quite accurate. I don’t like the unfluted cylinder, the grip shape, or the long barrel only option. I switched to the .41 Magnum Blackhawk and never looked back - even when they came out with a 4-5/8” SBH. My 2018 made .41 Blackhawk is as well made as any of my old ones, ( and better finished than some) so if I had one like the OP has, it would already be on its way to Ruger for fixing.

Um, the Super is available with a 4-5/8" and 5-1/2" barrel also; the latter also has a fluted cylinder. Both have the standard 'plowhandle' round trigger guard grip frame. You can also easily install a Bisley grip frame.

Mr_Sheesh
10-14-2020, 06:46 AM
koyote, you could just buy another couple, one in .41 & one in 327 :)

My 70's SBH never gave me issues beyond things like the grip screw being too long on the Pachys I put on it, so it needed to be shortened a bit so it didn't chew on my hand.

derek45
10-14-2020, 07:51 AM
shooting heavy 310gr sometimes my base pin would try to walk out. I installed a WOLFF extra power base pin spring and all is well.

I like mine better than a S&W

https://i.imgur.com/LRtE3Si.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RTAqSwd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/25UhqzC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WX4wS3F.jpg

Drm50
10-14-2020, 09:48 AM
When I was in Hi school I had every Ruger SA made, in each barrel length. I kept most of them until about 1972. I sold or traded them all except SBH and S-6. I still have the owners sheets of a pile about 1” thick. Of all these guns I had no mechanical issues. The only problem was sights. I found that front sights weren’t hi enough or adj in rear able to go low enough to sight in at 40yds or less. This was especially PIA with SBH. I bought very few New Model Blackhawks. I will take them on trade but don’t want them personally. The 45 Blackhawk was the most accurate out of the box SA 45 I’ve every come across.

leadhead
10-14-2020, 09:56 AM
Over the 22 years that I shot handgun silhouette, I owned 8 different .44 SBH revolvers.
I shot some pretty stiff loads from them and never had the base pin walk out. They were
fairly accurate but the rear sights sucked. They would not repeat from setting to setting.
I solved the problem by buying a Freedom Arms .357 and never looked back.
Denny

white eagle
10-14-2020, 10:24 AM
was cleaning our 2006 super blackhawk 44mag and got reminded how many things are finicky with it. the loading gate likes to close leaning slightly and catches a ledge not fully seating and sometimes pops back out to that spot when shooting. the hammer pull makes the transfer bar run into the bottom of the firing pin so you almost have to point the gun in the air to cock it so gravity hold the transfer bar away from the firing pin. the trigger dont reset until you take pressure off the hammer since its holding the transfer bar which needs to move for the trigger reset. ive had to shim the mainspring and keep it clean and oiled to reliably set off rounds, bit of dust on the hammer and it falls too soft.

really wouldn't trust it to save me if a bear wanted to eat me. my SRH is great function wise ive never doubted one of its functions. but SBH im confused how everyone has high opinions of them cause most of these seem like design problems.

If I had that many problems I would have sent it back long ago

smithnframe
10-14-2020, 10:40 AM
I own several both old and new models. I have noticed that the latest new models don't exhibit the same quality as the older models, both new and old models.

375supermag
10-14-2020, 02:33 PM
Hi...
I have had my SBH in.44Mag for decades with no issues. It gets shot almost every week.
Also have a stainless SBH Hunter in .45Colt that gets shot just as often. No issues with it either.

MT Gianni
10-16-2020, 01:10 AM
I sold one about 2001 and replaced it with a Redhawk. My problem with one is I would really hesitate before buying a used one as so many have been hot rodded way past max book loads. I have never seen the problems you've described other than a base pin backing off under recoil. Luckily I only live 40 minutes from Belgrade, MT home of the Belt Mt base pin shop.

ioon44
10-16-2020, 08:00 AM
I have my Ruger SBH in.44 Mag that I bought new in 1972, thousands of rounds later and it still shoos great.

bmortell
10-16-2020, 10:13 AM
i said "our" cause its not strictly mine. not up to me what happens to it. i didnt even mention all the minor issues like the blueing wears bad, sight dont adjust enough, grips dont fit cause its its the less common anniversary type, screws come loose from shooting. must be the one in a million option from the factory where you get the whole dumpster fire package.

MT Gianni
10-16-2020, 12:25 PM
Some of that is just known maintenance. Blackhawk screws get checked before an extended range session, Bill Ruger wasn't a fan of heavy bullets and didn't put enough front sight on many models. S&W ejector rods get checked before any long range session too. CZ pistols see very little time in leather due to bluing wear. It is just owning handguns. Some guys check the oil every time they fill up, after 40 + years of marriage I know my wife never will.

dogdoc
10-16-2020, 01:47 PM
Looks like most of us think they are great! Add me to the list as I own four of them! No problems

Art in Colorado
10-16-2020, 06:44 PM
I’ve had one for about 60yrs, still got it and it has never failed. Carried it twice for bear protection and it worked perfect. No bears came around. Just the sight of the SBH scared them off!:mrgreen:269334
That is probably the best example of a Ruger single action that there is. A three screw. No need to have an action job and no warning label on it. Just look at that blueing. Wonderfull six gun!!

rockrat
10-17-2020, 12:11 AM
Think it was my 44 sbh, but might have been my 357 bh, but I had the base pin coming out and just took a dremel tool and a chain saw sharpening bit and deepened the notch in the pin a tiny bit. Never had problems after that.

Blueing on my '74 gun is still nice and deep blue, even after 46 years.

Walks
10-17-2020, 01:07 AM
Have 2, a blue 7 1/2" that I started to shoot silhouette with in 1975.
And the 1st stainless 10 1/2" I ever saw. Just a bit later.
Cut down the STS 10 1/2" to ejector housing length. Which is 5 1/2", ticked off my Buddy how bought a 4 5/8" with the small grips. He never polished his chambers or cleaned his SBH very often.
I had easy perfect case ejection, he had to pull every case out with his fingers.
Have 40,000rds of full power loads thru the 7 1/2" SBH. Only replaced bolt & bolt spring.
Smooth as a babies bottom.

Never had a problem.
Only things ever replaced on a Ruger SA are springs and bolts.
Result of many thousands of rounds of wear and tear.

Same with Vaquero's, both old & new. And Single Sixes both OM & NM.

Send it back to Ruger.

Lloyd Smale
10-18-2020, 07:00 AM
ive had ejector housings go flying and some that were on the loose side. But most were good guns. To me there kind of a canvas. First thing thats done to any of them is a trigger job because ive yet to see one that was even remotely good out of the box. Add a belt mounting locking base pin to keep the pin from walking and keep a screwdriver real handy because screws back out and all the screws need tightening about every 50 rounds. Not bad guns but not a gun equal to a FA by a long shot but then you arent paying FA prices for them. Lets call a super a silverado and a FA a porche. What the silverado will do is get you to work every day and not guilt you into spit polishing it every time you use it. It isnt a precision high performance machine. More of a work horse.

DHDeal
10-18-2020, 08:41 AM
I've got more than a few FA's and my 83 in 44 Magnum was a PITA about the frame screws loosening. This wasn't from ridiculous loads either. I called FA and talked to their head gunsmith (can't remember his name right now but he's been there for a minute or two) and he told me to try a trick and it's never lossened again. The 454/45 Colt never has loosened. I always keep propper screwdrivers on hand in my shooting kit just in case.

Lots of folks love the Belt Mountain locking pin it seems. I have one for each RBH myself, but on 2 BH's I had to deepen the notch due to jumping and one of those was a 4 5/8" SS Super. In this case, I had not drilled a divot for the allen screw. That taught me to make sure the pin will remain in place without the allen screw tightened first. In effect this makes the "locking" feature redundant, but some extra redundancy ain't a bad thing in my OCD mind. This issue isn't an problem with a Belt Mountain pin IMO, it's an issue with variances in tolerances in the revolvers themselves.

Calling a RBH a canvas is a good analogy. I never just buy a BH with the thought of leaving it alone.

MT Chambers
10-18-2020, 09:13 AM
The only thing better than the Ruger blackhawk is the Freedom Arms revolvers, I have them both and wouldn't want anything else.

Tripplebeards
10-18-2020, 10:15 AM
I like my new vaquero but for hunting I’d rather use my anaconda...or buy a Redhawk over a blackhawk or super Blackhawk just because imo it’s way easier loading ammo. The one at a time shell shucking isn’t for me when out in the woods. My Ruger wrangler has taught me I’d rather be able to drop my cylinder out for quicker and easier reloading. I’ve been wanting a super Blackhawk for some time now but after a season with my Wrangler my next big bore hunting pistol will be a double action just for ease of reloading it.

jonp
10-18-2020, 10:26 AM
No issues with a BH or SBH and I've had a number both new and used. I've run a number of Linebaugh loads through them with no problems and when trying out new loads my Blackhawks are what I use for testing. There are lemons of everything out there but I think far fewer in the firearms industry than any other. Call Ruger and send it back, they will make the pistol right I've no doubt from my dealings with them.

Targa
10-18-2020, 12:18 PM
I have one in .44mag and .454Casull. Both outstanding revolvers.

Chemoman
10-18-2020, 05:42 PM
a couple of years ago i bought a ruger 45 long colt bisley. it shot horrible groups. the end of the cylinder where the bullets came out was way too small. sent it to doug guy and he did the cylinder right. then it was a tack driver. still didnt like the way it felt in my hand. sold it to a man who loved it and he payed what i had into it. bought a uberti colt and it was and is a tack driver from the first shot. all my uberti colts are tack drivers from the first shot. no more rugers for me. except i have 2 ruger lcr/s and they are the best of the best. i guess i should say no more ruger cowboy guns for me. if i did get one off to doug guy it would go.

elmacgyver0
10-18-2020, 06:15 PM
I own a couple Ruger Vaqueros in 44 mag.
I bought one then like the idiot I am, I made a two gun holster.
Of course I had to buy the second Vaquero.
Now I have a Vaquero I have never even fired, looks nice in the holster though.
I swore I would never own a 45 Colt chambered gun.
A friend came over with a Bond Deringer in 45Colt/.410, well I had to have one.
Now I have a Uberti Cattleman II and dies to reload for it.
How the heck did that happen?

RC46
10-19-2020, 02:13 PM
I have a .41 mag Ruger SBH, pic/story in revolver section. Absolutely flawless performance from day 1, ditto with a year 1 Vaquero in 45 colt. I would agree with comments that you should send it back to the factory. If they don't fix it, trade it off. I went to a gun show recently, and was down right appalled with the quality of some of the Ruger stuff. Old guy's and guns rule!! or should I say vintage.

Cosmic_Charlie
10-20-2020, 07:02 AM
Since obtaining a Smith 24-3 I have not been shooting my SBH much. The ergos and action are better on the Smith. The Smith is easier to shoot well. I have not modified the SBH so some improvement could be gained by reducing the hammer hook. A lighter mainspring would just increase the lock time which is already slower than the Smith's. Ruger's action is rather crude compared to the Smith's. I wonder what Ruger's engineers could come up with if you tasked them with improving the action?

pete501
10-20-2020, 11:11 AM
Another problem with the Super Black Hawk.

I was shooting my stainless 44 mag stainless years ago and noticed it wasn't shooting where I was aiming. Turned out the barrel was beginning to unscrew. It was about 5 degrees off. I purchased it new about 30 years ago. After contacting Ruger, it was sent back at my expense. They fixed it. It hasn't given me any problems since

Forrest r
10-21-2020, 09:31 AM
Haven't bought any sb's in years but I tried 3 different one's starting back in the 80's. Never could get 1 that had all the cylinders even or close to even in diameter (44mags). Too bad I really liked the way the sb rolled in my hands with hot loads.

Ended up wearing out a couple sw's before going with a anaconda.

Every time I see dougguy post I get the urge to buy a new sb in 44mag and send him the cylinder. But I come back to reality, getting older and need to thin the herd not keep adding to it.

yeahbub
10-21-2020, 01:00 PM
I had a new model SBH which was once very accurate and would shoot anything well. Eventually, I had to send it back to Ruger because of inaccuracy due to cylinder looseness (wiggling in the frame window) on the undersize (worn?) base pin. It was also backing out due to recoil from even mild loads. When it came back, they had fixed the base pin issue, but now it had a HUGE forcing cone which would swallow a 240gr bullet heel-first to beyond the cannelure, which meant the bullet would be free of the chamber throat and fly through space unguided before entering the rifling - so there went accuracy. I called and asked about that, but was told the forcing cone was "in spec" and they wouldn't do anything about it. Seriously? A forcing cone on a .44 big enough to easily accommodate a .45 cal bullet is "in spec"? Sounded like code for "I'm not interested in dealing with you." and he seemed in a hurry to get off the phone. If you do send it back to Ruger, make sure to remove any after-market parts you may have installed, like spring kits, base pin, etc. It will be returned to stock condition and your after-market parts will be in a scrap bin somewhere.

Alferd Packer
10-24-2020, 08:31 PM
I blew the shell ejecter housing off mine, the first shot.
The screw snapped.
I had the dealer send it back that was 25 years ago.
I shot thousands of full bore loads and it still shoots fine for me.
The action is very slick.
Stainless steel 7.5 inch barrel.
I love it.
The stainless is a dream to clean.

The_Eccentric
10-26-2020, 07:38 PM
Haven't bought any sb's in years but I tried 3 different one's starting back in the 80's. Never could get 1 that had all the cylinders even or close to even in diameter (44mags). Too bad I really liked the way the sb rolled in my hands with hot loads.

Ended up wearing out a couple sw's before going with a anaconda.

Every time I see dougguy post I get the urge to buy a new sb in 44mag and send him the cylinder. But I come back to reality, getting older and need to thin the herd not keep adding to it.

I should have bought an Anaconda back in the early '90s when they were $700-ish. Now they're scarce, and listed for original series Python money......

Forrest r
10-27-2020, 03:31 AM
Ya those and the dw's were the way to go back then. Have no idea why I never bought a dw in 44mag, just never did. Have 2 dw's in 357, a pure joy to shoot/own.

Shot that colt for years and ended up trading it for a rifle with a pile of $$$ next to it.

DougGuy
10-27-2020, 06:22 AM
I have not modified the SBH so some improvement could be gained by reducing the hammer hook.

I get a lot of hammers sent in with cylinder work, I reduce the height of the hammer pad ala David Bradshaw, works great, maintains a safe sear engagement.

A lighter mainspring would just increase the lock time which is already slower than the Smith's.

I suggest swapping in a Wolff 30oz. trigger return spring with the lower hammer pad, another good solid improvement that can cut groups in half. You can document this easily by dry firing the gun and observing any movement in the sight picture when the hammer falls. After the hammer pad is lowered and the Wolff trigger spring is installed, it becomes VERY easy to hold the sights motionless during this dry fire exercise. THIS is proof beyond question that these two seemingly insignificant changes translate to very real reductions in group size.

Ruger's action is rather crude compared to the Smith's. I wonder what Ruger's engineers could come up with if you tasked them with improving the action?

They would come up with a $959 base price instead of what it is now for the more expensive and time consuming manufacturing changes.

Jedman
10-27-2020, 08:16 AM
I owned one in 44 mag and used it for deer hunting. The previous owned must have soaked that thing in deer repellent because while hunting and carrying it in the woods I never seen a deer. I hunted tree stands and ground blinds in a area that had a lot of deer but that pistol was just bad luck so I sold it.

Jedman

gnappi
10-27-2020, 09:15 AM
The only issue I ever had with any of my blackhawks was my fault by not giving my bullet a good enough crimp and the bullets scooting forward in the cases on recoil.

BamaNapper
10-27-2020, 02:00 PM
Only one SBH in my house, a 7 1/2" 44mag I got back in '75. Like everyone else, I had the base pin backing out with magnum loads. I was lucky. One of the guys I worked with at the time had a tabletop lathe and made me a 2-piece rigid latch to replace the spring version, then hardened it. A couple years ago, almost 40 yrs later, I noticed the pin backing out on me again. The latch was still good but the softer steel of the base pin had deformed. I installed a new base pin and a latch with a heavier spring. The base pin stays put now, but I'm at that age where I'm not loading as many magnum loads as I used to.

frkelly74
10-27-2020, 02:27 PM
I had to take my 41 mag Bisley to see if it was still great. It is. I use it more as a 41 Special and have fun with it. It did best with Hornady jacketed bullets but is still fun with cast.

Cosmic_Charlie
10-29-2020, 09:17 AM
I get a lot of hammers sent in with cylinder work, I reduce the height of the hammer pad ala David Bradshaw, works great.

Doug, if I understand correctly there is less hammer travel after this modification? That sounds like a worthwhile change. Funny how subtle changes on a handgun can pay big dividends.

Petander
10-30-2020, 04:05 PM
I had a nice 10" SBH for several years but I kept changing grips for full load comfort. And I never found that comfort. One hand with a glove,sort of ok but not quite.

I couldn't "roll" it, I've seen people drop their revolvers doing that. I need a strong steady grip that holds steady.

I then got my first long 500 S&W in 2003 and found it much more pleasant to shoot,it didn't hurt my large hands even with lots of more power,no gloves necessary. So I sold my SBH.

Had I grown up with single actions,my preferences might be different. My SBH was a well made revolver but SA:s with all that torque are not for my big hands. "Roll" looks good on TV. :)

DougGuy
10-31-2020, 08:24 AM
Doug, if I understand correctly there is less hammer travel after this modification? That sounds like a worthwhile change. Funny how subtle changes on a handgun can pay big dividends.

No sir, the hammer travel is un-affected by this. It reduces the amount of rearward travel the trigger must travel before it comes out from under the hammer hook and the hammer falls. It is a VERY worthwhile change and well worth the rather small investment to have this done.

It also does not affect the rearward travel of the trigger when the hammer falls either, since the trigger travel is what elevates the transfer bar high enough to strike the firing pin when the hammer strikes the transfer bar.

Cosmic_Charlie
10-31-2020, 09:20 AM
Had my SBH out yesterday. Tried a few 240 xtp over 20.3 grains of 2400. No discomfort and gave good off hand accuracy. I never seemed to have an issue with that dragoon style trigger guard busting my knuckles. Thinking hard about scoping this gun which is something I have seldom done with handguns. But since these can reach way out there, further than my eyes can now, why not? Will look at some drill and tap style mounts because the no drill ones are big and ugly. And that hammer mod sounds good Doug.

cp1969
10-31-2020, 10:15 AM
Have you contacted Ruger customer support about these issues? They tout themselves as being the BEST in the business, and if you butter them up on the phone and list ALL of what you just listed here, they may nicely send you an RMA, especially if the gun does not cock, that's on them and they know it, so that alone would get it sent back in, and most often they will send the brown truck by with a pre printed label to pick it up from your residence.

They have fixed several over the years for me, and nevre charged me a DIME, not even for shipping both ways! One of my Vaqueros they transformed into a birdshead for nothing!

It didn't work that way for me. My first-year New Model Blackhawk .45 Colt had horribly mis-matched cylinder throats and barrel. I sent it back with a note saying if you have to replace the barrel, replace it with a 5 1/2" barrel (it was 7 1/2" when new).

I got a bill for $125, which was what I paid for it in the first place. They also kept my original box and counterbored cylinder. It still doesn't shoot well. I thought if it wants to be a scattergun, so be it--it's now relegated to shot capsule duty. It works fine for that.

Hickok
10-31-2020, 10:50 AM
I have had a number of Blackhawk, Vaqueros, NM Vaqueros and Super Blackhawks. I always considered them "Kit Guns", as they make a good starting point to make a single action that "Suited" me. Others may differ on opinion.

On Supers, I had to address the base pin coming out on recoil. And that Dragoon trigger guard was pure torture for my middle finger when shooting stiff loads, (7.5 barrel revolver). On a Stainless Steel Super I had, the buffing and mating of grip-to-frame was pitiful, so I smoothed and polished these areas. As usual, new trigger and hammer springs added to get a better trigger pull, but that is a normal thing for me with most firearms.

On the cylinders of .44's, the individual throats always varied on a cylinder, and needed to be reamed to match each other.

On ALL the 45 Colt Rugers I have owned,i.e. BlackHawks, Older Vaqueros and NM vaqueros, I had to ream out the cylinder throats, as they were always too small. I bought a set of reamers for this, as it was cheaper than sending them away, (Having 4-5 different 45 Colt Rugers over the years).

Just my experience, but the .357 mag. Blackhawks were always less work and less fuss as to Cylinder/throat/barrel demensions for cast shooting. Just my experience, other may disagree, and that is fine too.

The Rugers Single Actions are super tough, but I always had to do some work to get them shooting cast boolits to my satisfaction.:)

Jtarm
10-31-2020, 01:33 PM

Love them three-screws. My first CF handgun, a three-screw .357.

I have owned 3 SBHs, if you count 1 Bisley,

Only problem was a a barrel coming unscrewed on an S45N.

The_Eccentric
10-31-2020, 04:11 PM
I should have bought an Anaconda back in the early '90s when they were $700-ish. Now they're scarce, and listed for original series Python money......

Ya those and the dw's were the way to go back then. Have no idea why I never bought a dw in 44mag, just never did. Have 2 dw's in 357, a pure joy to shoot/own.

Shot that colt for years and ended up trading it for a rifle with a pile of $$$ next to it.

I agree completely. I also was eyeing the DW .44mag revolvers back then. They were more expensive than the Anacondas, and my local FFLs were having a hard time getting them through their distributors. This was of course long before the internet existed.

I ended up instead buying a new 7.5" Super Redhawk for $440 (in 1994). That was significantly below msrp, and too good to pass up. The SRH was #3 on my list behind the DW and the Anaconda (and ahead of the 629 and the SBH).

I was making something like $7/hr back then, so price and availability trumped #1 and #2. By the time I was making significantly more money, the Anaconda and DW .44mag were both discontinued. My SRH has served me well and never let me down. Still, I wish I'd been able to get an Anaconda and a DW as well. :D

For on-topic content, I am probably going to pick up a .45 Colt Blackhawk Bisley soon. Been going back and forth between buying a .454 Casull Magnum Research BFR (and mostly handloading high end .45 Colt loads for it), or instead buying a .45 Colt Blackhawk and then spending the time and $ to go through it and make it what I want.

Cosmic_Charlie
11-01-2020, 01:15 PM
I lucked out on the cylinder throats on mine. A .431 boolit is a good fit in all six. Never slugged the barrel because it shot good right away. Going to try a load out of the Lyman manual today. 250K boolit over 17.4 2400. Should be pleasant.

Lonegun1894
11-03-2020, 01:16 AM
I thought my BHs were good, and still do, but sending the cylinders to DougGuy has shrunk my groups. So started out good, and got better.

chunkin lead
11-18-2020, 01:46 PM
Purchased my SBH about 30 years ago, not one issue out of this beast.

Cosmic_Charlie
11-23-2020, 03:43 PM
Shot this group today with mine.

snowwolfe
11-24-2020, 11:53 AM
Am down to two SA Rugers. I might buy another USED. But buy new again? No way, I returned the last 4 or 5 new purchases to Ruger for stuff that should of never got past quality control.
If I want a particular caliber I’ll buy a BFR instead of I can.

444ttd
11-24-2020, 05:29 PM
i bought my ruger sbh(44 mag/ 4 5/8" barrel) about 4 - 5 years ago and killed 3 - 4 deer with it. the only thing that i should complain about is that it should have a 44 special.

Cosmic_Charlie
11-27-2020, 12:14 PM
Just dropped a Wolffe trigger return spring in mine this morning. Put on a Pachmayr grip as well even though they are ugly. That HS 6 load is stout and that is what it will be digesting hence forth.