PDA

View Full Version : Is This a Hensley & Gibbs?

Bent Ramrod
12-08-2008, 01:21 AM
After seeing the illustration in Mikenbarb's post on his .22 caliber H&G mould, I thought I'd post this.

I came across this mould a pretty long while back. It has no markings, other than "M-311-910" on one side and "XX-XXX-XXX(X?)" on the other. It has the long straight handles that are illustrated in the H&G catalogs, and the cam-shaped sprue plate. (One of the handle screws is missing, and there is a makeshift replacement.) However, I can't find a cavity like it in the H&G photos, nor is there a number 910 listed. The line of X's don't seem to overlay any other letters, except maybe more X's.

The cavities are .311 caliber, with a tiny forward lube groove ahead of two crimp grooves and a bevel base which also has a gas check shank. It looks almost like there is another crimp groove ahead of the bevel base band as well. The boolits shoot pretty well out of my rebarreled Krag and my .30 Remington, as I recall, they're about 150 grains or so in weight.

Anybody seen anything like this before?

Glen
12-08-2008, 03:04 AM
That is a Modern-Bond mould for the .30-40 Krag.

Bent Ramrod
12-10-2008, 02:34 AM
Thanks, Glen.

TAWILDCATT
12-10-2008, 09:08 PM
that is M&B mold but my cat calls it a bullet for 30/06 -1 to 10 lead+154 gr.
the handels are not showing.the handles have a large black grip.I have three molds.bought new at $5.00 in 1945.:coffee: [smilie=1:

Bent Ramrod
12-11-2008, 12:29 AM
TAWildcatt,

The handles threw me off, too. These are straight and kind of thin, not like the heavy Modern Bond ones at all.

The separation from the original handles probably explains the missing screw as well.