PDA

View Full Version : Bought a lee auto drum powder dispenser.

BigAlofPa.
10-12-2020, 05:40 PM
I like it. Makes for quicker loading. I was using a perfect powder before on my turret press. I should have ordered the riser too right away. I have to pull 2 dies to change it to the next turret. But now i have a riser on the way. Tried it with fine and coarse powders. No leaks.

ReloaderEd
10-12-2020, 05:57 PM
one of the best products lee makes if set up right.

nhyrum
10-12-2020, 07:57 PM
Yep. With the powder through expander, they're wonderful on the turret press. I had one for every turret head I had. Then had all the extra drums set up for specific loads(verifying the drop before each batch) fed even h110 well

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

kmw1954
10-12-2020, 09:56 PM
I use mine on an old 3 hole turret, Pro1000 and a Pro4000 ABLP. Works well with 380, 9mm, 38/357, 45acp and 223.

VariableRecall
10-20-2020, 04:17 PM
This sounds like an incredibly stupid question, but is it possible to mount one onto a Lee Hand Press? That's the only press I have at the moment. I think, other than gravity, there really should be nothing that can stop me from augmenting my humble little buddy into a cheaper Little Dandy...

BigAlofPa.
10-20-2020, 04:52 PM
My riser came. Im happy with it. On the hand press i guess you could. One thing i don't like about the measure. Is you can't just dump the powder back in as your getting the charge set. Im thinking about drilling a hole in the bottle. That a funnel tip can fit into.

C.F.Plinker
10-20-2020, 05:45 PM
My riser came. Im happy with it. On the hand press i guess you could. One thing i don't like about the measure. Is you can't just dump the powder back in as your getting the charge set. Im thinking about drilling a hole in the bottle. That a funnel tip can fit into.

Lee offers the old plastic hopper with lid as a spare part.

https://leeprecision.com/hopper-cov-round-red.html

Of course some of us would just cut the bottom off of the new style clear hopper and jury rig a lid for it. Hmmmmm.

BigAlofPa.
10-20-2020, 08:32 PM
Ahhh ha thanks. I can take one off one of my perfect powder ones.

Jackpine
10-23-2020, 10:43 AM
I bought one when they first came out and tried it with, as I remember, Red Dot and Clays, in 38 loads. I did not think it was as consistant as the Auto Disc, and went back to the old style.

Liked the concept, but that was my experience. Something may have changed since then.

tomme boy
10-23-2020, 03:15 PM
I have 3 of them and they all leak. with h110/296, 231/hp38, auto pistol, lilgun, hs6. Everything else I have tried is fine. Auto pistol from SW powders is the worst of all the ones I tried.

nhyrum
10-23-2020, 03:21 PM
I have 3 of them and they all leak. with h110/296, 231/hp38, auto pistol, lilgun, hs6. Everything else I have tried is fine. Auto pistol from SW powders is the worst of all the ones I tried.For the leaking, you just have to tighten the nut on the side. Just like with imperial sizing lube, a little goes a long way. With h110 there's a very fine line between tight enough it doesn't leak, and loose enough that the spring pressure returns it to it's resting position. I'm talking a change in 3 to 5 degrees in rotation from where it leaks to the point where it's too tight.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

megasupermagnum
10-23-2020, 07:05 PM
This sounds like an incredibly stupid question, but is it possible to mount one onto a Lee Hand Press? That's the only press I have at the moment. I think, other than gravity, there really should be nothing that can stop me from augmenting my humble little buddy into a cheaper Little Dandy...

It certainly is possible, these will screw onto any Lee expander die. The problems you will run into, besides the real possibility of spilling powder, is that it would be shaking as you use the press. This likely would not help accuracy of metering. The better tool for the job would be to buy the so called perfect powder measure, which can be mounted elsewhere, and is operated by hand.

BigAlofPa.
10-23-2020, 08:14 PM
My old powder hoppers from the perfect powder won't work. So i drilled a hole the size of my funnel tip. I haven't had any leaks yet. Used green dot and sport pistol so far in it. I might have used some tight group too.

Livin_cincy
10-24-2020, 09:32 PM
I have had one for several years.

Virtually every issue I have read on forums or on video had the solution in the the Lee Manual.

Running powder thru the hopper each time you use a New insert is often overlooked.

The tightness of the insert needs to be per the instructions.

For some reason people try to set the flair with the powder measure attached to the die. Don't do this. Set the flair die and then add the powder measure. Just verify a full swing of the drum. Normally it magically seems to have a near perfect throw as far as movement.