PDA

View Full Version : Zinc question???

Deacon Stone
10-12-2020, 05:16 PM
I have come into 2 5gal buckets of zinc ingots. Is there any purpose for this material or should I just scrape it?

Thanks

MT Chambers
10-12-2020, 05:57 PM
I'd scrape them.

badbob454
10-12-2020, 06:01 PM
sell em on e bay

Conditor22
10-12-2020, 06:33 PM
I heard they use for sacrificial diodes

bangerjim
10-12-2020, 07:23 PM
That is "SACRIFICIAL ANODES" and yes pure Zn is used in several commercial applications to prevent corrosion in industrial HVAC and other systems. Your best bet is to take it to a local scrap recycler and sell it for whatever you can get. You will not be able to get much, but anything today so better than ZERO. There is definite market for PURE Zn, if that is what you have.

There are those I have read about that are successfully casting boolits from pure Zn. You would have to totally re-calculate your load data for the reduced weights. You may be able to start a new fad on here casting pure Zn boolits that are PC'd!!!!!! [smilie=w:

banger

GregLaROCHE
10-12-2020, 08:14 PM
Zinc has a salvage value. You might be able to trade it with a scrap dealer for pure lead. Of course the deal will probably be in the favor of the scrap dealer. That’s just the way it always is, but you will be ending up with usable lead. Some casters are starting to experiment casting zinc boolits, but I would only start using it as a last resort.

turtlezx
10-12-2020, 08:17 PM
last time i looked zinc was as much as lead $$ per lb

poppy42
10-12-2020, 09:01 PM
I heard they use for sacrificial diodes

You would be correct except it’s an anode, a sacrificial anode not diode. Use the stop electrolysis on boats. When I was younger I had a buddy that lived on a steel houseboat. you’d be amazed at how fast electrolysis will eat up that zinc. Better than eating up the boat hull though!

Scrounge
10-12-2020, 11:45 PM
I have come into 2 5gal buckets of zinc ingots. Is there any purpose for this material or should I just scrape it?

Thanks
"Copper" pennies are really copper coated zinc, and they're worth more as metal than the face value of the coin. That's one of the reasons you are no longer allowed to melt pennies for the metal. You can mix zinc with aluminum to make several alloys that are nearly as strong as cast iron, and about a 3rd lower in weight. The famous Atlas and Craftsman lathes had many parts made of ZAMAK. ZA is another class of such alloys. Some are also used to make machine bearings. So scrap them, or find someone nearby who does metal casting for a hobby. If you were nearby, I'd be interested in having them.

Bill

Deacon Stone
10-13-2020, 08:28 AM
I live 20 min north of Topeka Kansas.

LinotypeIngot
10-13-2020, 11:01 PM
I've actually heard of people making bullets out of zinc before. I have no idea how they perform though.

Rcmaveric
10-14-2020, 04:03 AM
There are lots of uses for Zinc. Some people in lead stingy or strict states have turned to casting bullets with it. If you decide to pursue that route research it heavily. It isn't easy and its different and has some unique cautions. But good bullets cant be made and the information is hard to find. You can use it to add copper to lead in neat science project if you are willing to sacrifice some lead. But it doesn't take that much if you do that.

Hmmm, now i think about it, i wonder if Zink shot will make a good home defense round. I am always afraid of shooting through my apartment walls. Zink is lighter than lead.