PDA

View Full Version : Another shortage- lantern mantles

metricmonkeywrench
10-11-2020, 10:29 PM
In preparation of an upcoming trip with our 5th wheel I decided to pull my old Coleman lantern off the shelf, clean it up and get it back into working order (a model dual mantle 288 for those who need the details) The cleanup went well, the 10+ year old fuel poured out, but now it was time for the consumables. The local Wally World had a couple of cans of fuel on hand but no mantles. The nice worker who happened to be in the isle knew exactly what I was looking for said she hadn’t seen any on the shelf in months. In general except for a propane lantern or two most of that isle was cleaned out. As we talked further she said most of the stoves and lanterns have been flying off the shelf since the “pandemic” started.

The closest sporting goods store, Dicks, won’t get my money and the usual others are too far away. So I wandered over to the local “A” named hardware store which usually is my source for the obscure and odd items and sure enough they had 2 two packs left on the shelf. I grabbed both and merely went on my way. I guess I’ll have to start grabbing them when I see them to build up a stash.

Some of my better memory’s are of camping and hunting trips and the distinctive hiss of a Coleman lantern lighting up the area.

pcolapaddler
10-11-2020, 11:03 PM
Last time I bought them, I used Amazon.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

bakerjw
10-12-2020, 05:38 AM
I love those lanterns. I haven't fired mine up in a while but will do so for our next backyard fire.

Anything survival related seems to be in short supply.
Canning jars and lids. Try finding them.

marlin39a
10-12-2020, 06:40 AM
https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/home.php?cat=34&page=1

I buy all my parts from this place. Click on “just mantles”.

redhawk0
10-12-2020, 07:47 AM
I agree with marling39a....oldcolemanparts has had items to fix my Northstar lantern where no one else has the parts. And they are honest people. They have flat rate shipping on their online order page...but if the shipping is less...they will refund you the difference. Hard to find honesty these days with an online retailer.

redhawk

gbrown
10-12-2020, 08:00 AM
Call the Coleman place in Wichita, Kansas. They will help you. BTW, if you are ever up there, or close, go to the Coleman museum there. If you ever used their stuff, camping as a kid, you will enjoy it.

bedbugbilly
10-12-2020, 10:06 AM
Check Amazon - quite a few listed

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=coleman+lantern+mantels&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

metricmonkeywrench
10-12-2020, 12:03 PM
Thanks all, already had Old Coleman Parts bookmarked for parts for my M1950 squad stove.

In this case the online sources wouldn’t have been much help as we’re leaving today, so I was at least glad to find what I did.

MaryB
10-12-2020, 01:07 PM
I have 2 of the propane models for power outages in winter. Will keep the bathroom above 50 degrees when it is -20 and windy! Other one goes in the kitchen to add some extra heat there.Living room has the 12 volt pellet stove so it stays nice and warm.

I have some Aladdin pressure lamps too, kerosene. Use them wherever I want bright light. Mantles for those are really hard to find right now!

Mk42gunner
10-12-2020, 01:57 PM
There's nothing quite like the hiss and bright light of a two mantle Coleman lantern burning white gas.

I haven't used one for years, but just reading about them brings back memories.

I do have a GI single mantle gas lantern that is supposed to run fine on either MoGas or white gas, doesn't put out quite as much light as the two mantle though.

Robert

Winger Ed.
10-12-2020, 02:03 PM
Repair parts like generators for these lanterns is drying up.
I had a heck of a time finding repair parts for a couple of mine that were made in the 80's.
When I did find them, it was old stock, new production items are discontinued and gone.

I'd encourage getting a couple of spare generators and whatever other odds & ends you may need in the future.
And when you store them, dump out the fuel, pump 'em up and let them blow themselves out to purge the generator & needle valve.

I put mine away with fuel in them for a couple of years, and it trashed them.

WheelgunConvert
10-13-2020, 08:20 PM
Word of caution: when installing the older style mantles you have to light them to finish the installation. Light them outside and Do NOT breathe in the puff of smoke when you light them. The older ones contain Thorium...the smoke is thorium oxide and is a radioactive alpha emitter...really bad stuff to get into your body.

The newer version has a different thermolumenescent material that is safer, but is brittle and easily shattered.

gbrown
10-13-2020, 09:03 PM
Thanks all, already had Old Coleman Parts bookmarked for parts for my M1950 squad stove.

In this case the online sources wouldn’t have been much help as we’re leaving today, so I was at least glad to find what I did.
If you are looking for generators for the old lanterns or parts for stoves, this is the place.
oldcolemanparts.com

alfadan
10-13-2020, 09:14 PM
I have a few liquid fuel colemans. I have found that not preburning them, but actually pressuring and lighting lets the fuel/air to balloon them out while they turn to ash. With preburning, it seems they turn to ash, then when you light it later, they expand to shape and stressed when they are weakest.

GregLaROCHE
10-13-2020, 09:43 PM
Once used, those mantles are sure fragile. Everyone needs backup.

metricmonkeywrench
10-14-2020, 08:59 AM
End result... perfect operation. I forgot about the mantle fireball/seasoning. After the burn in and coming up to operating temp it performed flawlessly. So much so the the boss commented that the campers next door may not be as excited about the bright light as I was.

I may look for a single mantle for a little less output.

David2011
10-15-2020, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the memories. This thread made me think of camping with my grandfathers, both of whom taught me how to generate the fuel in Coleman lanterns.

David2011
10-15-2020, 01:23 AM
End result... perfect operation. I forgot about the mantle fireball/seasoning. After the burn in and coming up to operating temp it performed flawlessly. So much so the the boss commented that the campers next door may not be as excited about the bright light as I was.

I may look for a single mantle for a little less output.

Then they ain’t campers or scouts.

dbosman
10-18-2020, 09:08 PM
The non-radioactive mantles are pennies each on:
https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/lantern-mantles-.html?d=y&origin=y&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20201018170112&SearchText=lantern%20mantles

The NOS I have seem to be more stable, but since the new ones aren't, I just ordered 50 from China. They arrived in about a month.

elmacgyver0
10-18-2020, 09:13 PM
The non-radioactive mantles are pennies each on:
https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/lantern-mantles-.html?d=y&origin=y&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20201018170112&SearchText=lantern%20mantles

The NOS I have seem to be more stable, but since the new ones aren't, I just ordered 50 from China. They arrived in about a month.

If you are lucky.

fcvan
10-18-2020, 09:39 PM
Back in the mid 1960s, my folks bought a cab over camper. The lights were mantle type and the windows were louver type, never had to worry about fresh air as those windows were not made to seal well. Mom always had more mantles in the drawer, Dad had more in the truck. He used the old Coleman on the job site when finishing concrete and the sun was fading. Memories, good times, Dad will be 81 this month, Mom turned 81 last spring, have to go see them this week.

dbosman
10-18-2020, 09:42 PM
In response to the "if you're lucky" comment.

I've actually had better shipping, tracking, and quality with Chinese manufacturers than American resellers.
Over a the last decade of doing business with the original manufacturers of too many items, only one shipment didn't arrive.
That was placed the week before China shut Wuhan due to Covid.

marlin39a
10-19-2020, 04:34 PM
This time of year, I sit out with my dog after our sunset walk. I always light a Coleman lantern. I burn white gas (naphtha). Expensive, but I can put the lantern away for years without gumming it up. Dog loves the lantern hiss, as I. It’s a relaxing time for us both.

RoyEllis
10-19-2020, 06:09 PM
Thanks for this thread! Reminded me to check mantle supply for my Coleman kerosene lanterns...I was down to only a few & deer camp comes up next month. They aren't quite as "bright white light" as propane or white gas lanterns but I like being able to get 5 gal K-1 for $29.99 and run lights for the whole camp & still have some left over after 2 weeks.

metricmonkeywrench
10-19-2020, 06:53 PM
Part 3. After returning home I fired it off again and set it out in the yard while I worked on the trailer (that’s a different story). After a spell I looked over and had fire coming out the side and a bit of raw fuel at the collar on the base. I turned it off and it went out relatively quick. Once it cooled down I pulled it apart and tightened up the generator base nut a quarter of a turn. Either I didn’t tighten down enough to begin with or the heat/cool cycle loosened it up a bit. After relighting it went for a half an hour with no further problems.

I’m glad this is bringing back memories for everyone...

Winger Ed.
10-20-2020, 12:49 AM
I looked over and had fire coming out the side and a bit of raw fuel at the collar on the base. ...

They usually only do that when little kids are around.

10-x
10-20-2020, 07:37 AM
Anyone have a Petromax lantern? Sort of complicated but super bright.

Ron in PA
10-21-2020, 05:42 PM
269881I got one!

Petrol & Powder
10-21-2020, 07:12 PM
I have a strong connection with pressurized kerosene stoves & lanterns. They are great devices.

As for the alleged shortage of mantles due to the, I guess ...pandemic? I'm not sure one employee at one Wally World has her finger on the pulse of the U.S.A. mantle supply chain and trends.
Pressurized lanterns in general are not exactly mainstream anymore; I'm almost surprised when I find parts for them in retail stores. Fortunately there are plenty of sources for lantern parts.

For the wick type Aladdin mantle lamps, I had one store that still carried a few parts for them but I think I was their only customer. Even that source has dried up but I don't think the current political climate had anything to do with that.

10-x
10-22-2020, 07:46 AM
Ron, compared to other lanterns, think Petromax is worth the cost? Have one and kind of hard to use vs coleman or just plain old kerosene ones...

Remmy4477
10-22-2020, 08:07 AM
On some of the oil lamp blogs, folks are in a panick to find Aladdin mantles and wicks for the old Rayo lamp. Not a big fan of Aladdins but have plenty of the Rayo type center drafts and ample stock of original wicks. Will not be without light and heat when they decide to turn off the electricity.....

trebor44
10-22-2020, 08:41 AM
One of many sources for Aladdin lanterns etc. : https://www.lehmans.com/product/aladdin-lox-on-mantle?shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhfTJxJvI7AIVkxx9Ch3zqAiEEAQYAiAB EgJf2_D_BwE#
Gotta love those 'used' stores in non-tourest areas. Yard sales are good hunting grounds for all kinds of 'liquid fuel' devices since many don't like the 'stinky'!

Petrol & Powder
10-22-2020, 02:18 PM
I love the old gear.
It takes time to learn the techniques to run the old stuff and a lot of people just don't want to invest that time.
It doesn't surprise me in the least that the parts are disappearing from retail establishments but I doubt that is due to the current situation. The sales of those parts wasn't exactly "robust" before all of this madness started.

pete501
10-22-2020, 08:03 PM
No Mantles Needed Here.

This was wired by a friend. It hangs in my garage.

I used to have a problem with collecting everything coleman, including mantles.

At one time I had over 80 lanterns hanging from the barn's rafters.

abunaitoo
10-23-2020, 04:51 AM
Need to order some.
Also need to order the pump rebuild kit.
I have four lanterns.
Three unused surplus from civil defense tunnels.
Two gas stoves.

Ron in PA
10-23-2020, 09:48 AM
10X. I got one at a antique Mall for $50.00 but it was gum up from old lamp oil. If you use plain kerosene, you must pre heat longer. I use a mix of 75% K1 and 25% mineral spirits. Ron.

Winger Ed.
10-23-2020, 03:05 PM
Something that's still out there is the wick type kerosene lamps.
I've got a couple 'pretty' ones for when the power goes out, and use the scented lamp oil for them.

I'd also gotten a few of the old Dietz ones like you see in Western movies years ago.
They say they still use the 150-odd year old stamping molds for making their new ones.
They're not as bright as a Coleman, but they're handy for camping or fishing, and almost no hassle to use.

I use them outside where the stink isn't an issue.
I'll run them on grocery store charcoal lighter fluid, that anti-mosquito oil stuff for 'tiki' torches,
and in a pinch--- if there is a breeze blowing,,,,,, even Diesel fuel.

10-x
10-23-2020, 03:12 PM
Ron, wow, you got a deal, deal. Have heard of using a mix, no flare ups or funky smell?The pre heat is a major pain and it can soot up in a new york minute. Will be my last resort lantern.

Ron in PA
10-23-2020, 07:53 PM
10X , No flare ups and no smell. It's a outside lamp. I use 91% Isopropyl alcohol for preheating.

abunaitoo
10-24-2020, 02:08 AM
Do they still make wick type lanterns????
Seems those would be much better than the mantel type.

10-x
10-24-2020, 04:56 PM
Ron, Thanks, heard you could use alcohol never got around to using it.

webfoot10
10-25-2020, 08:31 PM
If anyone is looking for wicks for the old kerosene burning lanterns, Look under
Miles Stairs WICK SHOPPE as he has a long list of wicks that he has made for
older lanterns and lamps. I didn't see any mantles listed though.

bakerjw
07-14-2021, 03:32 PM
When I was a kid we went up to Chetek Wisconsin with my sister, her husband and the kids. My brother in law was working on my dad's Coleman lantern and warned me not to touch the mantles. I didn't know that the white things were mantles and I touched one and broke it. He asked why I touched it when he told me not to. I replied "I didn't know that was the mantle" and stayed out of trouble. If he'd have said, don't touch those things, all would have been fine.

I have that lantern and love the noise and glow from them. Good old equipment always stays in fashion.

kfd518
07-14-2021, 03:46 PM
Might also look into peerless mantles in replacement of the Coleman mantles

bakerjw
07-14-2021, 04:02 PM
My son and I are going to Sneads Ferry here in a couple of weeks to fish the New River and the ocean. the place where we are staying doesn't have a kitchen but they will allow us to use a camp stove, so the ole coleman camp stove is making the trek with us.

Bwana John
07-14-2021, 04:11 PM
While I used mantled gas lanterns for most of my life I find solar LED light cubes to be less expensive, more reliable, lighter, cleaner, and safer.

Winger Ed.
07-14-2021, 05:32 PM
The world is going to electric everything.

I needed some Coleman fuel lantern parts a year or two ago, and those parts that used to hang on a rack at the hardware store are gone.
Even digging around on line to find old stock, its getting harder and harder to find the generators & such.

Get whatever spare parts you think you'll ever need as soon as ya can before they're gone too.

gbrown
07-14-2021, 06:01 PM
The world is going to electric everything.

I needed some Coleman fuel lantern parts a year or two ago, and those parts that used to hang on a rack at the hardware store are gone.
Even digging around on line to find old stock, its getting harder and harder to find the generators & such.

Get whatever spare parts you think you'll ever need as soon as ya can before they're gone too.

Call the Coleman store in Witchita, Ks. That's where Coleman started out. They used to have a museum up there, which I visited. Neat place. I believe it was closed a couple of years ago.

https://www.macraesbluebook.com/search/company.cfm?company=754941

Minerat
07-14-2021, 08:24 PM
To be honest, I don't even know what can help you. I can only share my experience. Whenever I come across something sticky, I always try to wipe it down with alcohol. It usually helps.

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the end result of wiping a lit lantern mantel with alcohol! Bet the result would be impressive.

lksmith
07-15-2021, 09:26 AM
Word of caution: when installing the older style mantles you have to light them to finish the installation. Light them outside and Do NOT breathe in the puff of smoke when you light them. The older ones contain Thorium...the smoke is thorium oxide and is a radioactive alpha emitter...really bad stuff to get into your body.

The newer version has a different thermolumenescent material that is safer, but is brittle and easily shattered.

thorium mantles are more durable and put off brighter light, but yeah, not something you want to breathe in.
You can get them on ebay as Geiger counter test sources. Also might be overlooked by the masses that don't know

lksmith
07-15-2021, 09:29 AM
Ron, Thanks, heard you could use alcohol never got around to using it.

for the coleman lanterns you CAN use alcohol, but you'll need a different generator. At a minimum you'll have to change the orifice. If memory serves correctly alcohol needs a larger orifice than gas or camp fuel

Mr_Sheesh
07-15-2021, 12:29 PM
Alcohol has less energy per unit volume so a larger orifice makes sense. I hadn't heard you could do that though. Interesting!

lksmith
07-15-2021, 05:16 PM
Alcohol has less energy per unit volume so a larger orifice makes sense. I hadn't heard you could do that though. Interesting!

not sure if it's published, but I have done it when I was working at a place that I could get all the 99% Isopropyl I wanted for free. More of a "can I do it" type thing. Also note the little cleaner wire won't work with a newer orifice. Wasn't quite as bright, but worked

bakerjw
07-15-2021, 09:28 PM
What a day for Coleman products.

Many years ago in the late 90s we would make a trek to Bushnell Illinois for the Cornerstone Music festival. It was a Christian music festival put on by Jesus People USA. After a couple of years of going and suffering through cold food, we picked up a Coleman gas stove, a George Foreman grill and took my dad's old Coleman lantern. The last time that these were used was 2001 or 2002.

Once again, thanks to the people here at CB, I decided to dig out some old stuff.

The Coleman stove. Fuel from perhaps 2002. Fired right up. Beautiful blue and hot glow.

The Coleman lantern... Stuttered and fussed a bit but eventually hit a happy balance and hot bright warm light was aplenty.

A wonderful day of reliving good memories. Thanks CB!

jaysouth
07-15-2021, 10:49 PM
In preparation of an upcoming trip with our 5th wheel I decided to pull my old Coleman lantern off the shelf, clean it up and get it back into working order (a model dual mantle 288 for those who need the details) The cleanup went well, the 10+ year old fuel poured out, but now it was time for the consumables. The local Wally World had a couple of cans of fuel on hand but no mantles. The nice worker who happened to be in the isle knew exactly what I was looking for said she hadn’t seen any on the shelf in months. In general except for a propane lantern or two most of that isle was cleaned out. As we talked further she said most of the stoves and lanterns have been flying off the shelf since the “pandemic” started.

The closest sporting goods store, Dicks, won’t get my money and the usual others are too far away. So I wandered over to the local “A” named hardware store which usually is my source for the obscure and odd items and sure enough they had 2 two packs left on the shelf. I grabbed both and merely went on my way. I guess I’ll have to start grabbing them when I see them to build up a stash.

Some of my better memory’s are of camping and hunting trips and the distinctive hiss of a Coleman lantern lighting up the area.

I have memories of working midnights in a Battalion tactical operations bunker in VN. Our lighting was lanterns. I remember the hiss and heat they gave off.

lksmith
07-15-2021, 11:33 PM
What a day for Coleman products.

Many years ago in the late 90s we would make a trek to Bushnell Illinois for the Cornerstone Music festival. It was a Christian music festival put on by Jesus People USA. After a couple of years of going and suffering through cold food, we picked up a Coleman gas stove, a George Foreman grill and took my dad's old Coleman lantern. The last time that these were used was 2001 or 2002.

Once again, thanks to the people here at CB, I decided to dig out some old stuff.

The Coleman stove. Fuel from perhaps 2002. Fired right up. Beautiful blue and hot glow.

The Coleman lantern... Stuttered and fussed a bit but eventually hit a happy balance and hot bright warm light was aplenty.

A wonderful day of reliving good memories. Thanks CB!

As much heat as the lanterns put off you don't need a stove!