PDA

View Full Version : Lost my House, boat, all reloading and casting gear in Alemeda Fire in S. Or

FishinTodd
10-11-2020, 04:05 PM
I did managed to recover a ton of melted lead off the garage floor. I was wondering if Anyone on here is in Southern Oregon or knows someone in Southern Or. The lead needs to be melted down and made into ingots. I'm in an apt until my house can be rebuilt so I have no place to set up let alone go buy a big pot to handle that much lead. I got most of my guns out but that is all the time I had, I lost 3 and all my hunting, fishing, ammo and reloading gear. Fire was so hot it melted my 18' customweld Viper River boat that was in the driveway.269199

FishinTodd
10-11-2020, 04:18 PM
I did recover some molds in the ashes, I need to clean them up and see if they are still use able

frkelly74
10-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Unimaginable! God bless you and help you toward better days.

osteodoc08
10-11-2020, 04:59 PM
Dang brother. Hate it happened. Become a Phoenix.

Bazoo
10-11-2020, 05:03 PM
I feel for you. I was living in an apartment above a small business I worked at and lost everything in 2015. Still ain't recovered. Will keep you in thought and prayer.

Winger Ed.
10-11-2020, 05:55 PM
I hate to hear that bro.
I've had losses a couple times, but nothing like that.

We see such events on the news, and can only think how lucky and blessed we are not to have to live it.
I hope your rebuild goes well and quickly.

I'd just leave the melted lead on the lot somewhere.
It's getting harder and harder to find, and really shouldn't be a high theft kind of item.
And it'll still be there when ya get back to it.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-11-2020, 06:14 PM
I feel for you. I was living in an apartment above a small business I worked at and lost everything in 2015. Still ain't recovered. Will keep you in thought and prayer.

I feel for you too we lost our house and Dogs in a house fire 13 years ago we rebuilt we were out of our house for just about 8 month
it sucks but we move on

adcoch1
10-11-2020, 06:27 PM
+1 on just keeping the lead on the lot, it'll weather just fine. Go get it when you're ready. Had a house fire myself 8 yrs ago, it sucked! Let us know if you need any stuff to get back on your feet.... That boat loss musta hurt. Sorry man.

adcoch1
10-11-2020, 06:42 PM
+1 on just keeping the lead on the lot, it'll weather just fine. Go get it when you're ready. Had a house fire myself 8 yrs ago, it sucked! Let us know if you need any stuff to get back on your feet.... That boat loss musta hurt. Sorry man.

Bazoo
10-11-2020, 06:50 PM
I feel for you too we lost our house and Dogs in a house fire 13 years ago we rebuilt we were out of our house for just about 8 month
it sucks but we move on

Thanks. We saved our dogs and the cat. Lost the pet snake, ball python. Wife went out and down the stairs, while I started throwing pooches out the door. I'm told my boxer slid off the landing and fell from the second story on her head, got up happy as always. Wife still has PTSD from it.

FishinTodd
10-11-2020, 07:46 PM
I got lead peeled up off the floor using a giant crow bar, its in 3'x3' sections. Joe504 I tried to message you back, but your folder is full and I cant send a message to you.

FishinTodd
10-11-2020, 07:55 PM
the towns of Talent where I lived and the next town of Phoenix both burned about 1/2 of each town is gone, just leveled.

FishinTodd
10-11-2020, 08:00 PM
Thank you guys for the kind words, I survived cancer in 2012 testicular that spread to lymph system and lungs, that wasn't as emotionally draining as losing everything. I had no notice to evacuate until it was a few blocks away. I never thought the fire would cross I-5, Hwy 99 and a dozen streets. But the kind words of support really help. Thanks

William Yanda
10-11-2020, 08:02 PM
Wish I were less than 2k mi. away. I would like to help.

Bazoo
10-11-2020, 08:10 PM
Glad you saved most of your guns. You think any of the moulds are salvageable? Warped, rusty, just need sprayed off with remoil or what? What about dies?

When our apartment burnt they found an aluminum framing square almost undamaged. They. Gave it to me and I still have it.

dverna
10-11-2020, 08:27 PM
What a terrible story

Hope you recover quickly

P Flados
10-11-2020, 11:35 PM
If there is anyone in driving distance and capable of the following, consider the opportunity to lend a helping hand.

It seems that it would be nice if:

A fellow caster could drive to the OPs location and take possession of the lead
Said caster would then convert the lead into ingots
Said caster would then keep a fair (small) portion and post the rest for sale on this site for say $2.50 (or more) per lb. plus postage.
This site would pay the extra price knowing that the money from the sales would go directly to a fellow caster that could really use some help, Fishin Todd.

I know there are other things that Fishin could do, but the above would both make things easy on him, and give him some cash to replenish his supply some day in the future when he is in a position to use it.

gbrown
10-12-2020, 12:17 AM
It's terrible to hear of the tragedies that happen to people everywhere. I'm sorry for your losses. I hope you can recover quickly. I would love to be able to help, but am down on the Gulf Coast. May God bless and keep you.

Joe504
10-12-2020, 07:50 AM
I got lead peeled up off the floor using a giant crow bar, its in 3'x3' sections. Joe504 I tried to message you back, but your folder is full and I cant send a message to you.I got space now :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fivegunner
10-12-2020, 07:59 AM
Wish I lived closer , I could help you .

toot
10-12-2020, 09:19 AM
just remember OUT OF THE ASHES ROSE THE PHOENEX!! you will make it.

lightman
10-12-2020, 12:22 PM
Thats sad to hear. You will be in our prayers as you try to get back on your feet. When you only have minutes how do you choose what to grab? Guns, wedding and family pictures, titles, deeds, receipts, other important papers, ect? I can't imagine?

Let us know how you are making it.

Bazoo
10-12-2020, 05:05 PM
Thats sad to hear. You will be in our prayers as you try to get back on your feet. When you only have minutes how do you choose what to grab? Guns, wedding and family pictures, titles, deeds, receipts, other important papers, ect? I can't imagine?

Let us know how you are making it.

When mine burnt, I turned and looked across the room at my guns and guitar, I needed to take a breath though and couldn't because of the smoke. I ran down the stares, flames coming up behind me. Looking back, I could/should have dropped to the floor and caught just enough of a breath to grab the guns.

Elmer Fudd
10-12-2020, 06:29 PM
I lost all I had in a house fire when I was but a budding gun nut. I won't bore you with the specifics, but I can intensely remember it now, 27 years on. I have replaced clothing, all of which I have grown out of, and one of the guns. I sent that one back to the mfg with a letter about what happened and would they give me a deal on a replacement. They offered back that it appeared to have been in a fire (duh) and did provide me a killer deal which I took. I love that gun dearly as it is my Phoenix. And my friend John worked it over to my likings.
You will live through this, even all the pains of looking for something only to realize it burned up years ago. I am grateful for all that came in my life from my experience; I hope the same for you.

Rapier
08-20-2021, 09:20 AM
Learning to ask for help, is difficult for a lot of folks. However, when overwhelmed, we all need help. Any disaster can crush anyone. Best to ask for help and survive, physically and mentally.

r80rt
08-20-2021, 10:12 AM
It sucks big time. I've been through burnouts, lost everything I had both times, You will revover.

Markopolo
08-20-2021, 10:38 AM
i am soooo sorry

dale2242
08-21-2021, 06:35 AM
I am in Cave Junction.
Let me know if there is anything I can do.
I have an old powder measure, some spare dies and assorted brass.

richhodg66
08-21-2021, 07:27 AM
That is terrible to hear. So glad that you and your family are safe, though.

namsag
08-21-2021, 03:33 PM
I am sorry to hear about it sir, thankfully the good thing is, you are allright. May I ask a question? Were you evacuated when the fire happened? Were there any firefighting efforts or did they just have to let it all go?

I am just wondering, about any powder/primers if they were in the house, was anyone around when they went, and did it affect any firefighting effort.

I have a RCBS scale I am happy to contribute if you can use it, if you will pm me your address.

Best wishes, namsag

toot
08-22-2021, 07:12 AM
so sad it can only get better! all the best to you!

slam45
08-22-2021, 05:32 PM
"I am just wondering, about any powder/primers if they were in the house, was anyone around when they went, and did it affect any firefighting effort."

That weekend nearly all of Talent, OR was burned to the ground by a wind driven wildfire that was of most likely arson...

Mr_Sheesh
08-23-2021, 11:11 PM
Friend by here was listening in on a police scanner as they tried to catch a guy who had an offroad quad and was driving on trails, pulling out road flares and tossing them into heavier brush by him. Definitely arson. He started getting ready to evacuate right away, and warned neighbors, was ready to drive off when the police showed up; Fire didn't get to his place at least. Truly sorry for your losses, FishinTodd.

MT Gianni
08-24-2021, 12:03 AM
OP was last on 1/11/2021.

Tazman1602
12-28-2021, 07:43 PM
Glad you are OK, we had a house fire in 1965 and I lost my little sister so it could have been worse. Prayers for all of your reloading stuff to be covered!

Art

Wag
12-29-2021, 12:35 PM
One of my greatest fears.

I was raised poor trailer trash. When I was 15-ish, the neighbors trailer caught on fire and burned to the ground within a very few minutes. We were all just getting ready to go to bed when one of my sister's shouted, "Bob's house is on fire!"

We were lucky the wind was blowing the fire, smoke and embers away from our home or we and three other homes would have also gone up.

I still have nightmares about it.

Very glad you're okay. My heart goes out to you and your wife and pets.

--Wag--

Baltimoreed
12-29-2021, 12:49 PM
Sad to hear it. Fires are terrible. Hope your insurance is good to go. I’ve done the flood thing which was bad enough but fire or tornado destruction is worse. Have a better new year.

FishinTodd
12-31-2021, 08:07 PM
Sorry everyone that I haven't been on here to reply been a crazy busy year, and didn't want to get internet when I was in a temp housing situation. I have my house rebuilt, got another fishing boat with insurance money and making progress. Merry Christmas, Happy Newyears and Happy holidays to all of you for the support.

Wag
01-01-2022, 10:36 AM
Great news, Todd!

--Wag--

skeettx
01-01-2022, 07:15 PM
Thank you for the update.
Mike