PDA

View Full Version : .44 magnum snubnose

Ohio Rusty
10-10-2020, 11:27 PM
Anyone had experience with these short barrel magnum revolvers?. With all the coyote issues we have near me, seems like this would make a great side arms to carry with me in the woods. I've started to look what is available for purchase, but I thought I'd ask some questions about cast boolit loads, grips, etc. I shoot a .44 magnum for deer and I have alot of reloading components for this cartridge.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Drm50
10-10-2020, 11:53 PM
44mg is a little stiff for Ohio woods. Shortest S&W I’ve had is 4”. I had a Bubba job Ruger SBH some idiot made a “store keeper” out of. It had a barrel about 2.5”. Rear sight was removed , no front. It would burn you eyebrows and bust your ear drums. Coyotes are fairly easy to kill. I’ve shot most of mine with 22s while squirrel hunting. A good 38sp would be good as any. Dead is Dead.

winelover
10-11-2020, 06:30 AM
Around my acreage, I usually have a 642 (38Spl) in my pocket. When I bow hunt, I'm toting a 357 LCR or a CA Bulldog in 44 Special. Light guns are nice to carry but you pay for it with added recoil. The Bulldog is a handful in 44 Special. I can't even begin to imagine a light weight 44 Magnum. You'll, more than likely, end up using 44 Special loads in it.

Short barreled revolvers are harder to shoot, accurately............due to abbreviated sight radius and less than adequate sights. My preference are CT laser grips. They excel in low light and are a boon to accuracy. You can literally, shoot from the hip, with a little practice.

Winelover

Tatume
10-11-2020, 07:26 AM
After my brother was bitten I decided to carry a revolver for defense against rabid animals. Any cartridge will kill, but the objective is to stop the attack before being bitten or scratched. I concluded that the 357 magnum cartridge with 110 gr hollow point bullets would probably give the quickest response. Hits on a rapidly approaching target are difficult. My choice for a 4" barrel was based on my ability to shoot this length gun effectively.

Cosmic_Charlie
10-11-2020, 07:37 AM
I got a 3" Model 60 that I tote in a shoulder holster. 125 gr. XTP over Titegroup makes a nice snobby load.

Don Purcell
10-11-2020, 09:35 AM
Around the country place a 4 inch Model 29 with 280 gr. WFN and 20.5 grs 296. No problem.

Ohio Rusty
10-11-2020, 10:08 AM
Here is a huge coyote track that was behind my house. That track is as big as the whole palm of my hand if not bigger. I estimate that coyote between 70 and 100 pounds in size. I want a serious .44 cast boolit for animals like this. When I hit them ...I want them to go down .... now !!
Ohio Rusty ><>

Drm50
10-11-2020, 10:31 AM
I believe you are looking at a dog track unless a Timber Wolf came south for the winter. I have shot several coyotes and only ones I shot with center fire handgun was with a 9mm Hi power. This is because I was carrying it fishing a creek that ran along a state highway. There were a lot of deer hit and that drew the coyotes. Didn’t happen to me but guys were backed into creek by coyotes guarding deer. I did get to shoot a coyote with a 455 Eley, Colt. Along same creek. 272gr lead HP going about 575fps hammered him hard. Range about 20ft.

megasupermagnum
10-11-2020, 10:37 AM
I hate to break it to you, but that is probably a domestic dog. The largest coyote recorded was 75 pounds... In 1937.

They make the perfect coyote handgun cartridge. It is the 327 Federal. That in an Sp101 with 4.2" barrel is a sweet shooting combo. 44 magnum is bad enough in a big frame. A lightweight and short barrel would not be ideal.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-11-2020, 11:12 AM
Anyone had experience with these short barrel magnum revolvers?. With all the coyote issues we have near me, seems like this would make a great side arms to carry with me in the woods. I've started to look what is available for purchase, but I thought I'd ask some questions about cast boolit loads, grips, etc. I shoot a .44 magnum for deer and I have alot of reloading components for this cartridge.
Ohio Rusty ><>

To answer your question....I've got a 3" S&W 629 .44 Mag. that is magnaported. I bought it maybe 20 years ago because a neighbor reported twice seeing a mountain lion on our property near the mailbox. Seemed like the way to go, instead of carrying a rifle up the lane every day to get the mail. Long story short, when I got around to shooting it with a couple of friends at a backwoods shootin' session, I loaded it up with 6 factory JHPs. I fired 2 rounds and it was like being near a detonating artillery shell. :shock: One of the other guys fired it once, and the third guy passed on his turn. At the time it seemed like the way to go, but although I've still got it, I wish I didn't. Much different than my 629 6". I can't even imagine how awful a 2" would be.
If I was you and wanted to carry a snub I'd go with maybe a .357 mag. :Fire:

HATCH
10-11-2020, 11:39 AM
44 mag out of a snub isn't gonna be a lot of fun.
Unless your shooting a very large dangerous animal I would look at something a little smaller in caliber.
I have a mint 24 snub (44 sp) that I shot once and just isn't my cup of tea.
On the other hand, I have 3 inch snubs in 41 mag and 45 acp. I really love my 41 mag (657) 3 inch. It has magna-ports.
Been thinking of selling the mod 24 but just haven't gotten around to it as it is a lew horton special and I do have a thing for 3 inch snub N-frames.

Norske
10-11-2020, 11:46 AM
Coyotes can be big. A USDA depredation controller shot one that weighed 80# on a friend's property. But if that track is as wide as the length of a disposable lighter, it's a wolf. My 85+# lab doesn't have feet that big, 2" across, but certainly not close to 3".

koyote
10-11-2020, 12:14 PM
re: coyotes. at this point, coyotes have interbred with wovles to the point where in some eastern locales, "coyote" is 90% wolf genetics.

you might very well see some 90 pounders.

out here they tend to be a bit smaller, but they haven't replaced a missing, decimated, wolf population.

For cougar, coyote, or pig, I'm happy carrying a .357 SP101, or a bulldog .44 special....or a sig 365XL for that matter. (135gr RNFP)

Honestly, I've SHOT more coyotes with a .22 magnum than any other caliber, and there's no issues.

I won't argue you out of a .44 magnum snubbie, but I'd suggest loading it up with a moderate velocity heavy Keith style in a .44 special case. (If I ever find a charter .44 special with a longer barrel, I'll maybe, maybe, go back to using it as a preference over the sp101)

lar45
10-11-2020, 12:14 PM
What about a Coy-dog?
My son has seen a huge one going past his house several times and it's not afraid of him at all. I keep telling him to call me, so I can shoot it. The last time he saw it it was just off his front porch. He ran at it with a sword and it stood it's ground.

If you are going with a very short barrel, then I'd suggest lighter loads for it to reduce muzzle blast.
How about a GP100 in 44 spl?

44MAG#1
10-11-2020, 12:33 PM
A S&W M69 2.75 inch is a great revolver. I have two of them and a 3 inch M629. Most of the horror stories are just that, stories. I have nothing but good to say about them

Outpost75
10-11-2020, 12:58 PM
A S&W M69 2.75 inch is a great revolver. I have two of them and a 3 inch M629. Most of the horror stories are just that, stories. I have nothing but good to say about them

Are you shooting full-charge loads or backing them down?

44MAG#1
10-11-2020, 01:40 PM
Both. Of course I am not a stranger to recoil. Having handguns that recoil considerably more than 44 Magnums. That may make a difference in my outlook. I still stand by what I say though.
Also used to play with a 4.2 inch Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt with 415 grain bullets at 1150. Shot pretty well too.
Also have 3.75 inch SBH and a 4 inch M629 MG.

Paul105
10-11-2020, 02:58 PM

Plus one - one of my favorite revolver platforms. Load it to match the threat level in your area or whatever you desire. I've shot over 3,000 rnds of full on .44 mag loads thru the three I have.

Paul

Walks
10-11-2020, 03:16 PM
As A Kid I shot many a coyote or feral dog in the LA foothills, usually a a Rifle in .22LR. Or a Colt OP 6" with .38-44 loads.
I have a 3" M624, busted my last coyote with it. A 215gr WC over 7.0grs Unique. Knocked him right of his feet, dead as the proverbial duck at 40 long paces.

Ohio Rusty
10-11-2020, 04:20 PM
The Smith and Wesson Model Model 69 Combat Magnum with the 2.75 inch barrel is a great revolver. A little lighter than a full size gun and easier to carry. I found one of those on Armslist but it was really more expensive that I want to spend...... I can reload the rounds down a bit from full power and still have an effective boolit for 4 legged varmints. The quest continues ...
Ohio Rusty ><>

lawdog941
10-11-2020, 04:44 PM
re: coyotes. at this point, coyotes have interbred with wovles to the point where in some eastern locales, "coyote" is 90% wolf genetics.

you might very well see some 90 pounders.

out here they tend to be a bit smaller, but they haven't replaced a missing, decimated, wolf population.

For cougar, coyote, or pig, I'm happy carrying a .357 SP101, or a bulldog .44 special....or a sig 365XL for that matter. (135gr RNFP)

Honestly, I've SHOT more coyotes with a .22 magnum than any other caliber, and there's no issues.

I won't argue you out of a .44 magnum snubbie, but I'd suggest loading it up with a moderate velocity heavy Keith style in a .44 special case. (If I ever find a charter .44 special with a longer barrel, I'll maybe, maybe, go back to using it as a preference over the sp101)

Yep, there was a coywolf spotted in Perry County. So the chances of them being in Hocking are good. A little bigger, haven't heard of any packs being spotted though.

GregLaROCHE
10-11-2020, 04:52 PM
I personally think the .44mag is much more gun than you need, but if you already are set up to reload for it, that’s a good reason to get one.

44MAG#1
10-11-2020, 05:16 PM
I personally think the .44mag is much more gun than you need, but if you already are set up to reload for it, that’s a good reason to get one.

If we ONLY bought what we need most of us would have a lot less than what we do. Can I get a concensus on that? I know I wouldn't have 7 Glocks when I carry only 2 of of them. A M27 and a M30 probably 95 percent of the time.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-11-2020, 05:50 PM
I will certainly agree with that statement! Also, some guys like .30-06 rifles, and some go for .500 Nitro Express. Different strokes, as they say. And if we only bought what we really needed most of us wouldn't have to look much past the .22 L.R. :smile:

Outpost75
10-11-2020, 07:12 PM
I have a 3-inch S&W 629 44 Magnum snub, and a 4-inch S&W Model 29, but only load them to .44-40 levels, 230-grain bullet and 7 grains of Bullseye, which I find quite adequate in my AO because most predators here are two-legged and none of our four-legged ones are big enough to eat'cha. Do find the .44 snub with shot loads a great snake gun.

Tripplebeards
10-11-2020, 07:36 PM
Here is a huge coyote track that was behind my house. That track is as big as the whole palm of my hand if not bigger. I estimate that coyote between 70 and 100 pounds in size. I want a serious .44 cast boolit for animals like this. When I hit them ...I want them to go down .... now !!
Ohio Rusty ><>

That’s someone’s dog.

I own a S&W 329NG titanium 44 mag. I’d rather carry a 9mm for coyotes. It will kill them just as fast and dead with the correct ammo along with holding better groups at longer ranges.

boatswainsmate
10-11-2020, 08:17 PM
This is my favorite Scandium revolver. It has a stainless steel cylinder and I replaced the factory grips with Pachmayr's Diamond Pro Grip. I don't find the recoil that bad with bullets 250 grains and below. https://i.ibb.co/tMvY0jN/DSCN4253.jpg (https://ibb.co/991yxKf)

Tripplebeards
10-11-2020, 09:03 PM
Looks just like my 329NG. I tried your same grip but it felt to big and bulky. It’s not bad for a 50 round or more shooting session with full throttle loads as long a you’re wearing gloves. After my rear sight vibrated loose from shooting I shimmed it with four pieces of an aluminum can to get it zeroed at 15 yards. When I first bought it 15 plus years ago I could hit pop cans every shot at 30 yards. After my lazik surgery two years ago my POA shifted high on it. Could be different ammo choices now vs then? I cracked over 250 rounds through it during three shooting sessions and playing with aluminum shims till I had it hitting POA with full throttle 240 grain XTPs. It will will give you the shakes like I get with motion sickness after a 100 rounds.

https://i.imgur.com/EOJ5QNB.jpg

Paul105
10-11-2020, 09:49 PM
This is my favorite Scandium revolver. It has a stainless steel cylinder and I replaced the factory grips with Pachmayr's Diamond Pro Grip. I don't find the recoil that bad with bullets 250 grains and below. https://i.ibb.co/tMvY0jN/DSCN4253.jpg (https://ibb.co/991yxKf)

Neat little guns and more tractable recoil wise that one would imagine. Not real common and probably more expensive than the OP would prefer.

https://photos.imageevent.com/paul105/hobby/large/Alaskan%20Backpacker%20with%20RB%20Hogue.jpg

Paul

Texas by God
10-11-2020, 11:29 PM
Those .44 mag snubnose revolvers look like fun with Special level loads. But living right in the middle of coyote central all my life I’ve never needed more than a .22 rifle to kill the very rare song dog that didn’t run away at top speed when it saw me. I’ve killed well over a hundred in my lifetime here on the farm- we used to hang them on the fence way back when. When actively hunting them, my gun of choice is the 22-250. I just wish the coyotes would kill the feral hogs!

root
10-12-2020, 07:15 AM
I've got a few 44 mags.

My grail gun is my 44 S&W. 4 inch mountain gun.
I also have a 44 spcl in 1 7/8 barrel 5 shot.
My longest is a SBH in 5.5
Also a marling 336 in 44

The mnt gun is considerably lighter then a standard 44 S&W 4 inch gun.

If you are recoil sesitive at all a 44 probably isn't for you.

I got my 1st 44 mag at the age of 17 and it was my 1st handgun.

I also shoot a lot of 10 mm zouped up in a MC sp100
Again not really for re oil sesitive people.

Tripplebeards
10-12-2020, 07:15 AM
Yep their fun, and ridiculous expensive. Mine is not made any more. They retailed for $1259.00 back in the day so I am sure they are fetching a lot more for them now since my 329NG aren’t produced anymore. I saw a few retailing used for close to $2G. I’d rather have my Browning 5.5” 22lr target pistol with a red dot. I can hit bowling ball pins with it at 100 yards every time. That’s not going to happen at less than half the distance with the 44 mag snuby. All the average person is going to do will be scaring away a coyote with a complete miss 99% of the time using my hand cannon unless you are shooting your target within arms length. It takes some talent to get used to shooting this pistol consistently accurate enough to hit POA past 30 yards. If your going to download it buy another caliber because your defeating the purpose and also your POA will be quite a few inches to a half a foot off vs normal powered loads. I tried this experiment as you can see the $19.99 trailboss powder in my pic. It still belts your wrist with trailboss BTW. It’s recoil with minimum trail boss loads is similar to normal loads in a my 45 colt New Vaquero. I see the trail guns have adjustable rear sights! My same length 329NG has a fixed rear sight. I need to replace it with adjustables! I’m on the lookout for one now. I normally don’t use a holster and just put right in my front pocket when I’m out in AZ calling coyotes ...just in case a mountain lion sneaks up and grabs me from behind. I can tell you the finish is not durable on these. I can scratch it to bare metal with my fingernail if I tried. Big fail in my book on S&W’s part.

Tatume
10-12-2020, 08:14 AM
I agree, they're fun.

labradigger1
10-12-2020, 09:15 AM
If already set up for and want a short 44 magnum just get a super redhawk Alaskan.

Ed K
10-12-2020, 09:54 AM
This is the cast boolit forum. Who is shooting factory 44 mag ammo for this sort of purpose?

S&W 44 mag mountain gun here with 1100fps cast slug.

44MAG#1
10-12-2020, 10:45 AM
This is the cast boolit forum. Who is shooting factory 44 mag ammo for this sort of purpose?

Buffalo Bore and Underwood has FACTORY cast bullet loads in 255 grain SWC in BOTH 44 Magnum and 44 Special. Why not ?

Dale53
10-12-2020, 02:57 PM
I have done a LOT of woods rambling over a very active and long life in the field. I have done a good bit of hiking in black bear country. I have even been "treed" a couple of times. However, I have never had to shoot a bear with a handgun. They just never pressed as close as I needed to fire. I HAVE been in on the "autopsy" of 30-35 black bears (in Canada) but those were shot with rifles (it WAS Canada)...

Having said that, coyotes and feral dogs CAN be dangerous and ANY rabid animal is dangerous! One of my favorite field revolvers is my 624 .44 Special with the "Skeeter" load (7.5 grs. of Unique behind a 250 gr. Keith). I consider, along with Taffin, that this is a "Perfect Packing Pistol". Another load in the .44 Special that works especially well under 50 yards is the Group Buy 200 gr. dbl ended W/C ahead of 5.0 grs. of Red Dot for a chronographed velocity of just under 900 fps. That bore wide meplat hits HARD at ranges to 50 yards+.

I personally consider a 4" barrel as short as I want in the field. I can still get good results with iron sights at that sight radius (but these days am happier with a Red Dot sight.

There are other fine choices - a .45 ACP/.45 Auto Rim revolver had done yeoman work for me also. They can have the fastest reload of any revolver with full moon clips and a proper bullet.

Proper loads in a .38 Special/.357 Magnum can be quite effective and useful, also.

Pays your money and takes your choice!

FWIW
Dale53

Ed K
10-12-2020, 04:30 PM
Buffalo Bore and Underwood has FACTORY cast bullet loads in 255 grain SWC in BOTH 44 Magnum and 44 Special. Why not ?
Buffalo Bore
Lower Recoil .44 Magnum Ammo
255 gr. Keith - G.C. @ 1,350 fps/M.E. 1,032 ft lbs
20 Round Box $44.36

At $2.22/shot for reduced power loads I guess if you you really want to then go for it. When I posted I was mainly thinking about how the OP was concerned with coyote issues and how many posts that followed were discussing how the 44 mag in a snubby was abusive to shoot. Don't really even need Buffalo Bore's 1000ft lbs for a coyote - see where I was going?

Petander
10-12-2020, 04:38 PM

This one has been on my Drool list for a while. Recommended for OP.

I've been shooting and repairing a 4" 626 V-Comp (without comp,missing) for two weeks now, shooting it every day at least a box of factory magnums. 4" is just a tad long to be called a "snub" and the gun is heavy,pleasant to shoot full loads though. My wife can/likes to shoot 44 specials all day with it. But it's a range gun,not carry really.

In case that 629 is not going to stay with me I'll save my buying permit and try to find that scandium snub pictured here. I have been shooting a 2,5" M66 for 25 years and 500 S&W:s since they came around 2000. I now have a 3".

It is surprising how one can stretch the effective distance of snubs by practising at longer ranges. I routinely shoot claybirds at berm from 50 meters with my 3" 500.

pmer
10-12-2020, 05:20 PM
I have a 4" model 29 that I like. It's not too short or to long.

rking22
10-12-2020, 06:14 PM
3 inch Gp100 in 44 special or even a 10mm unless the OP is absolute on the 44 mag. I have never had a coyote even wait for me to get a shot off if an unexpected meeting, his reflexes are better than mine! I have killed 8 with 22 lr, and quite a few more with various centerfire rifles, all 100 yards or more. They are way skiddish around here, we shoot them on site!

root
10-13-2020, 06:42 AM

I load the single cavity lee hollow point 240 and I load it hot for all three of the hand guns they all seem to drive it better loaded close to max.

My Marlin JM 336 loves tbe same exact boolit & load with the micro groove barrel.

The 44 spc I load average because it's a total titanium taurus and was discontinued due to hotoads cracking them.
Same cast. Boolit as the mags.
Never a problem I've had it 25+ years and shoot it enough that if it was gonna blow it'd have done it already when i was young and ran it full power.

One thing I'll say about the lee single cavity HP mold.
If you use straight up WW and water quence they punch a perfect wad cutter hole on paper.

Took a doe with the SBH 5.5 back a few years ago with the lee boolit.

Deer took two steps. One forward and one down
She was out at about 85 yards.

ETA: smart pbone ain't so smart.

Rodfac
10-13-2020, 06:53 AM
Gotta chime in here...for daily carry in the "44 Mode", I'd suggest S&W's excellent Model 69 with the 4-1/4" bbl. At ~38 oz's. & loaded with what's commonly called Skeeter's load (a good 240 gr LSWC backed with 7.5 gr of Unique in .44 Spl brass [or 8.5 gr of Unique in Magnum cases]), it's a easy on the hip and accurate in the half dozen .44's I've tried over the years. At ~950 fps from that ~4" bbl., you'll have a comfortable, accurate load for anything up to deer in your vicinity. Too, that light weight gun (within two oz's of my M66 Smith "K" frame) is an all day belt holster proposition if needed.

For bullets, I like 429421, and 429244GC with Skeeter's load or any of the warmer high velocity Magnum prescriptions. An even lighter recoiling suggestion would be 429215GC, an old Thompson design made by Lyman and superbly accurate in my guns. At ~220 grains from WW alloy, it's equally good for deer and can be alloyed softer by using a 50-50 mix of WW & Pb. I size all my .44's to 0.430" and get good results from both S&W's (two M29's, a 629 and the M69), as well as 5 Ruger's in both Special and Magnum chamberings. Just a suggestion, if you're using GC's, try annealing them before seating for a better fit and sizing...seems to help with accuracy in my guns too.

Powders: Bullseye for target velocities, Unique up the 1000 fps, and #9, 2400, or 296 for the top end work.

90% of my .44 shooting is with Skeeter's load at a bit less than 1000 fps. It's good for a full morning on the range and is my 1st choice for carry in a .44 here on the farm. We've put down some stock here with it, close up head shots, and it's harvested countless scores of thistle tops, dirt clods, and railroad tie plates here over the years.

HTH's & YMMv Rod

44MAG#1
10-13-2020, 07:36 AM
EdK Said.

"Buffalo Bore
Lower Recoil .44 Magnum Ammo
255 gr. Keith - G.C. @ 1,350 fps/M.E. 1,032 ft lbs
20 Round Box $44.36

At $2.22/shot for reduced power loads I guess if you you really want to then go for it. When I posted I was mainly thinking about how the OP was concerned with coyote issues and how many posts that followed were discussing how the 44 mag in a snubby was abusive to sh
oot. Don't really even need Buffalo Bore's 1000ft lbs for a coyote - see where I was going?

I Said

But the key thing is the word "NEED". It isn't what we "need" but what we want. I wouldn't have a problem using "full power" on down to a "target" load on a coyote. May be anything from a jacketed or cast expanding bullet to hard cast to a Lehigh Defense to a Cutting Edge monometal solid.
I guess that is what makes me the the type of person people just scratch and then shake their head as they walk away after having talked with me.

GregLaROCHE
10-13-2020, 06:02 PM
Besides different calibers let’s not forget regular practice. Bullet placement is still an important factor.

Buckeyeguy
10-13-2020, 10:11 PM
I will throw my 2 cents in here... Rodfac hit it perfect with the model 69. I have shot both barrel lengths with the Skeeter load and it very easy to handle, and that load will take care of 90 percent of anything in the US.

Kosh75287
10-13-2020, 10:26 PM
The mere THOUGHT of touching off a 2.5" barrel .44 Mag makes my hand hurt. If you use a mid-range load, like 8.0/Unique/240 LSWC, I guess it might not be too bad. It'd certainly be serious "coyote-killer" on the receiving end. Less punishing on the "launcher" end.

megasupermagnum
10-13-2020, 10:32 PM
The mere THOUGHT of touching off a 2.5" barrel .44 Mag makes my hand hurt. If you use a mid-range load, like 8.0/Unique/240 LSWC, I guess it might not be too bad. It'd certainly be serious "coyote-killer" on the receiving end. Less punishing on the "launcher" end.

It isn't the short barrel alone why I don't think it would be an ideal choice. It is also the fact that this would likely be in a light frame gun. If we were talking a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, then I don't think the recoil would be as horrendous as you would imagine. Actually, a lot of the time I find the longer barrels recoil MORE, possibly due to the increased velocity.

In my previous post I didn't recommend a short barrel 44 magnum for the intent on shooting coyotes. I based that on the assumption of a light frame gun, which does recoil significantly. Also the short barrels are not as easy to shoot accurately, but that isn't the whole story. I just can't imagine someone being able to pull out a model 69 and hitting a coyote at any real range with it. It's not because it is not accurate, but because such a gun is hard to shoot accurately. Many are apparently better at it than me with recoil (no surprise there), as it has taken me years of regularly shooting my Redhawk to finally feel comfortable enough to hunt with it.

Petander
10-14-2020, 04:17 AM
Local vendor has one of these. Want,not need...

But shooting full power 44 mag loads from a light gun may not be fun. If going with specials, what's the whole magnum point then? Carrying magnums I'd anticipate the recoil and miss right away, I need to practise with the same ammo I actually use. With any gun.

Recent S&W quality also may be a preventative factor.

But this looks good and interesting,I may need... no, WANT to check it out anyway...

https://i.postimg.cc/rFNBw9Zh/IMG-20201014-110211-479.jpg

I wonder how the finish / engravings hold?

JohnRoc65
10-15-2020, 10:00 AM
My Ruger Redhawk Kodiak Backpacker with a 2.75" barrel is very manageable with full house loads. 10 grains of Unique under a 240 gr bullet is not uncomfortable at all. Doesn't feel much different than a 9mm +p load out of a semi-auto.

fatelk
10-15-2020, 12:47 PM
I bought a really nice 3" Model 29 about 20 years ago. I thought it would be a great hiking gun. I still have it and do shoot it once in a while, but it's not terribly fun to shoot, and heavy for a "small" gun. A few years later I found an old Model 66, 4" K-frame .357 Magnum. To me it seems to be such a well balanced gun, a much better hiking gun.

Recoil is subjective. I've shot heavy recoiling guns, including thousands of rounds of .44 magnum. I'm not glutton for punishment anymore; I just don't enjoy the pain. I was shooting with a friend recently, and he was happily shooting the heaviest kicking guns I have. I'd warn him a certain gun would kick pretty bad, and after a few shots he'd just smirk, "Whatta ya mean? That wasn't bad at all!" He's younger than me, and a Marine. Oohrah, tough guy.

I once shot two shots through a friend's Model 329, full power .44 mags. I have absolutely no interest in ever looking at one of those things again, as long as I live. I would equate it to laying my hand on a table and having someone smash it with a baseball bat. If you can shoot full loads through one of those and enjoy it, you're a tougher man than I am. Either that or a masochist.

beagle
10-15-2020, 03:54 PM
Man, that's a lot of gun for a little old "yote". But if you want tp pack that around, fine with me. The old standby Blackhawk .357 4 5/8" fits in my back levi pocket here on the place and I feel quite at home with it. RCBS 38-162-SWC with GC shank removed and HP'd with one of Pat Matlin's PB gas checks and a load of Herco does well in all local applications./beagle

44MAG#1
10-15-2020, 04:01 PM
I shot some 320 JDJ bullets backed by 21.5 W296 awhile ago in a Ruger Redhawk with a 2.75 inch barrel and had no trouble with it. Did it recoil more than a 250 "Keith" and 8.5 of Unique, yes it did. But if you hold as still as you can, hold your sight alignment and operate the trigger in such a way as to not disturb either, the hit will be there.
It is a mind thing.

okietwolf
10-23-2020, 04:12 PM
I carry my 45 Colt Interarms Dragoon in a cross draw holster with a good cant. It stays out of the way but is still easy to get to. I'm not worried about hiding it on the farm, or most of the woods I stomp.