PDA

View Full Version : Jack Hinson

abunaitoo
10-10-2020, 07:55 PM
How many know the story of the most wanted sniper of the civil war????
Jack Hinson was just a farmer in Stewart County, Tennessee.
Didn't take sides, as he had friends on both sides.
He just wanted to be left alone.
The yankees wouldn't let him alone.
"Jack Hinson's One Man War" is the story of his revenge.
True story put together by word of mouth and foklore.
Just found a three part utube series about his life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSjSBWzo-6A
Check this site about his story.
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/american-civil-war/jack-ninson-civil-war-sniper-hell.html
Good reading as another civil war looms in the future.

Don Purcell
10-10-2020, 08:53 PM
Got the book but haven't started it yet.

Cargo
10-10-2020, 09:28 PM
Thanks for sharing the info and links.

Thundarstick
10-11-2020, 05:31 AM
The uncivil war made monsters out of many good people, just like the next one will! Pray to God it never happens! To this day I can never understand anyone calling for civil war, looking for it, or glorifying it, while forgetting the murder, robbing, looting, raping, and destruction that goes with it!

bedbugbilly
10-11-2020, 10:49 AM
I have the book - it's an interesting story that not too many have ever heard about.

As far as not understanding how anyone would "want" a civil war - I don't believe that anyone wants war - as they always say - "rich man's war, poor man's fight" - but sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in. If you can't understand how it can occur - the Civil War occurred in a time that we have a hard time relating to - always easy to "look back" and judge at a later date. If you can't understand the "why' of it - just take a look at what is going on in this country right now - that will explain a lot of it - a different time but not unlike the prelude to the War Between The States.

Thunderstick - not disagreeing with you or being critical in anyway. What goes though my mind everyday is how "The Greatest Generation" is now all but a memory - our parents, aunts, uncles, etc. who served and sacrificed not only in battle but on the homefront as well and the young ones who are burning, looting and those that are trying to tear this country down don't have a clue as to what they sacrificed for us all in order to have the great country we have. Shameful.

Thundarstick
10-11-2020, 04:04 PM
I just sometimes get the feeling we have people who are looking forward to another civil war. When you personally walk over the very places of past bloodshed and pass road side markers of battles and raids, and know these landmarks, forts, and battlegrounds from childhood it gives me pause to reflect on the price paid by the South. When you are raised in the South under the proud memories of the Civil War, then visit Northern states your in for a shock at how differently it is viewed there. As I stated the Civil War made monsters out of many good men (probably all war)! Did the rite side win? Remember this, one man's freedom fighter is another's terrorists!
Long live the memory of Champ Ferguson!

Duckiller
10-11-2020, 04:30 PM
My great grandfather was wounded at Chattanooga. He eventually died of his wounds. I don't believe that the young people who may want a civil war have any idea of the valor that both sides displayed during the civil war. This will keep the young (17-30) people from doing anything stupid or if they do try to start a war hopefully the next 2-3 generations (over 30) will stop them.

3leggedturtle
10-11-2020, 11:35 PM
I read that book twice, 1st time in 2016, second time in 2017. Found it in the Ocean Springs library during my winter hiatus.