PDA

View Full Version : How do I slug a muzzleloader

eka
12-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Seems like I knew this at one time, but can't recall how it's done. Did a search for it with no luck. Slap me on the back of the head guys. I'm thinking of paper patching my Renegade in .50 with a 500 S&W mold.

Thanks in advance for a shot of the CRS antidote. :-D

Keith

madcaster
12-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Just be sure to use a soft lead slug if you do that.
Why not just see how easy or hard they are to load with the different patch/ball sizes?
Or you could holler at ole Bob....:coffee:[smilie=w:

eka
12-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Hey Jeff

Speaking of Ole Bob, I need to go see that rascal. I've been rather busy lately and haven't been by there. We had planned on fishing the Nolichucky for spawning trout earlier this month, but ....

I know he's figuring on me bringing him a bottle of spirits as a measure of good will in celebration of the season anyway.

I was guessing .501 might do the trick on the size of the patched boolit, but I don't want to buy a sizer just to figure out I was wrong as usual.

Take care,

Keith

mooman76
12-08-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure this would work but I have thought about it and just not tried it yet. When I was out with the group and someone forgot to load the powder we would remove the nipple and put a few grains in the whole, which is about all you could get in there anyway and then replace the nipple and fire. It wouldn't come out with allot of force but would come out. If you shot that into a pile of blankets or a trashcan of water, I think that would work.

Underclocked
12-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Got any REAL or Maxi bullets? Just run one of those down the bore then back out. Put the calipers on the boolit's upper band at two opposing indents from the lands (hope it has an even number of lands/grooves). Sounds like you want land-to-land measure so that's a quick and pretty accurate way to get it. Do two or three and see if they all jive.

Springfield
12-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Can't ya just blow it out with one of those co2 things?

Mumblypeg
12-08-2008, 12:33 AM
I've used the air compresser many times. it doesn't take 100lbs to seat the boolit so 100 or so lbs will push it back out. Get the nossal to fit on the nipple and blow away, catch in a box with rags ought to do it then mic the projectile.

Bullshop
12-08-2008, 02:21 AM
I would fade right,give a quick left jab then come arround with a hay maker right hook.
That aughta slug him.
BIC/BS

missionary5155
12-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Good morning Does not this rifle have a breachplug ? Remove it and tap the soft lead slug on through.

WickedGoodOutdoors
12-08-2008, 09:50 AM
The Air Compresser comment just gave me a thought.

How Many PSI are generated with 150 grains of Black Powder going off in a .50 cal muzzleoder?

Im sure someone out there has a strain gage and can measure this.

OK What am I getting at?

Taking a cheap .50 cal inline and making a hunting air rifle out of it by using a scott pack small scuba tank.

Pretty Much SILENT as long as I keep it sub-sonic

madcaster
12-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Mumblypeg has the best ideal it seems,but they are ALL good ideals...

eka
12-08-2008, 11:13 AM
OK, seems as like there is more than one way to skin this cat. I like Mumblypeg's idea too.

I made a couple of calls and got some other ideas that I'll share with you.

First is to use a large fishing sinker, but first drill a pilot hole to allow a bullet puller to thread in easily if needed. Then put a short length of brass rod in the barrel before proceeding. Drive the fishing sinker in just enough to get an imprint of the rifling. Then by tipping the barrel back and forth, the slug is knocked back out by the brass rod as it acts as a slide hammer in the barrel. As your safety measure you can employ the bullet puller if necessary, but rarely needed unless you get happy with the hammer.

This was not my idea and I haven't tried it yet, but it is supposedly a tried and true method. I just wanted to share it in case there is another fool like me out there wading in over his boots :mrgreen:.

Keith

Underclocked
12-08-2008, 12:11 PM
I guess I left out the part about how to get it back out. ;) Drill a hole through the bullet/sinker vertically centered, long 10-32 screw with a small washer up through the base and screw into a range rod at the top. I would add a nut on the upper threads to tighten and lock to the rod.

Or just take Dan's advice. ;)

Digital Dan
12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
It would be easier to just seat a bullet sans powder then use a ball pulling screw to remove it. Worked on my ol' Renegade, probably work on yours too. Why you want to paper patch it?

Jim
12-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Cut a piece of brass rod about a foot long, smaller in diameter than the barrel. Hold the gun horizontally, place the rod in the barrel and tip the barrel up just enough to make the rod slide down the barrel. Patch the ball and start it or start the bullet you intend to use. With the rod in the bottom of the barrel, QUICKLY tip the barrel down, causing the rod to ram on the back of the bullet. It may take several times, but it will come out. I've done it dozens of times checking fit between different size RBs and thicknesses of patches.

defib
01-10-2009, 03:21 AM
you can try cerrosafe.