PDA

View Full Version : Feasible to find or build a shoulder stock for a Single Six or SBH?

Jalapeno Dan
10-10-2020, 06:22 PM
Hello All,

I’m a retired military guy who’s new to this forum but not new to guns.

I would like to make or buy a stock for a Ruger Single Six and/or SBH. I did some online searching and have not found any existing ideas.

I have all the legalities covered and am only looking for advice on obtaining such a stock. I don’t want to pay the $200 for the stamp only to find out it isn’t possible and end up asking for a refund.

I know they are available for BP revolvers but prefer to stick with cartridge revolvers for this.

Thanks in advance.

elmacgyver0
10-10-2020, 06:34 PM
Never heard of anything like that offered commercially.
Since it would turn the pistol into a NFA item there is probably not enough call for it to warrant a manufacturer to tool up for it.
I would suggest building your own.

skeettx
10-10-2020, 07:12 PM
Hello JD
Welcome on your first posting

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503264

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=117135

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/I_want_to_SBR_my_Ruger_Blackhawk____figured_out_a_ stock_/5-1811492/

Texas by God
10-10-2020, 07:48 PM
Illegality aside, a shoulder stocked revolver is quite unpleasant to shoot due to the cylinder gap being so close to your face; danger to your offhand forearm; and the rear sight notch seems a mile wide. There are reasons that "revolving rifles" were never popular.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

country gent
10-10-2020, 09:08 PM
Im not sure a BP revolvers stock couldnt be modified to work, But this modification / addition would require some machine work. Most detachable stocks used a double headed hammer screw for the upper mount ( similar to the old hartford style belt carry but on both sides) SO a new screw would need to be made then the latch cut in the bottom of the grip frame.

I would recommend the first step to be a call to the BATF to check on laws, regulations, paper work and costs. then keep in mind there are fewer smiths willing to do this type of work

A way around some of this may be a cap and ball revolver with the shoulder stock there and a cartridge conversion cylinder added

deltaenterprizes
10-16-2020, 08:30 PM
Im not sure a BP revolvers stock couldnt be modified to work, But this modification / addition would require some machine work. Most detachable stocks used a double headed hammer screw for the upper mount ( similar to the old hartford style belt carry but on both sides) SO a new screw would need to be made then the latch cut in the bottom of the grip frame.

I would recommend the first step to be a call to the BATF to check on laws, regulations, paper work and costs. then keep in mind there are fewer smiths willing to do this type of work

A way around some of this may be a cap and ball revolver with the shoulder stock there and a cartridge conversion cylinder added

Possession of the shoulder stock, black powder gunand conversion cylinder would be a violation !

Just like having all of the parts of a suppressor but not assembled!

Drm50
10-16-2020, 10:27 PM
I saw stock made for S-6 and K22. The guy that made them didn’t want to do any mods to the guns. He bought a set of beater grips to modify to accept stock. Stocks were cut from 1” walnut plank. The attachment for these was a Pin that went into the right grip panel from rear. There was a formed brass strap that ran under gun butt. It had a 90 degree turned up. D&Ted for thumb screw that pushed duel 1/8” pins into holes in front of grip. These were both 22s and recoil was no problem. They shot like rifles. If guy had time he could further develope this

Mr_Sheesh
10-17-2020, 08:18 AM
A stock that is held to the handgun by hand pressure is another possibility; At least at one time these were OK legally since they were not permanently attached to the firearm. You could use something like JB Weld and a good mold release to get a really close fit to the grip for pretty decent 'lockup'. Saw these sold for 1911s, in the 70s or so? Sold with BATF approval letters.

Jalapeno Dan
10-18-2020, 05:13 PM
Thanks everyone. I found a gunsmith who is willing to accept the challenge and fabricate the stock for me. Once I have the SBR stamp and the stock I’ll post pictures of the results to help the next person.

I am good with the Form 1 process and making an ATF-approved short barreled rifle using a real stock attached to the revolver.