PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 32 H&R Mag cylinder problem?

curiousgeorge
10-10-2020, 09:44 AM
I picked up a Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R magnum. It appeats to have a problem with the cylinder that I have never encountered before. When I try to chamber a round, the rims on the shells are hitting the center section of the cylinder with the notches cut in it. They will chamber if you push fairly hard, but it creates a burr or cut on the case rim and really becomes a problem when trying to eject fired cases. I have tried multiple brands of 32 S&W Long cases and Starline & Federal 32 H&R magnum cases. Almost every case hits when bein chambered.

Has anyone ever seen this or even heard about it? I'm sure that the cylinder could be turned in a lathe and just a touch of metal taken off because once the case gets by the leading edge, it chambers ok, but not something I want to try.

I guess a trip back to Ruger us in it's future but this an odd one.

contender1
10-10-2020, 10:22 AM
Some of the earlier 32's did have various issues similar to that.
Contact Ruger & politely tell them of the issue.

Larry Gibson
10-10-2020, 10:36 AM
I had that problem with my original run SS 32 H&R (bought used....probably why it was for sale). Could have returned it to Ruger but for the cost of shipping I had a good machinist slightly open the rim recess in the center section cut outs for the rims. Took a very little cut and mostly what I paid for ($30) was setup time of the extractor on the mill for each cut.

curiousgeorge
10-10-2020, 11:08 AM
Larry- if I understand correctly you had him make 6 semi-circle cuts next to each cylinder. I was thinking turn the entire center notched area down.

Steve

Outpost75
10-10-2020, 11:31 AM
Larry- if I understand correctly you had him make 6 semi-circle cuts next to each cylinder. I was thinking turn the entire center notched area down.

Steve

Larry's fix is the correct one.

Green Frog
10-10-2020, 11:42 AM
Since this is a known problem with Ruger, I would first contact them and see what they have to say about fixing it. After all, they built it, so who would know better what to do with it? My suggestion would be a phone call to their customer service and pose the question, suggesting that you might like to speak with a gunsmith or technician. You might get lucky.

Froggie

Larry Gibson
10-10-2020, 11:58 AM

Steve

The complete arc that mates to the curve of the rim must be enlarged....not much though.

As to returning to Ruger; I had considered that but at the time Ruger wanted it shipped Fed-X and that had already cost me $45 for another revolver shipped to them. It also would have been a 2 week +/- turnaround. And then Ruger would have "fixed" the trigger job I had done...... So for $30 I got the job done in about an hour (included a lot of gun talk with the machinist) and was on my way to the range to shoot it. The Ruger SS 32 H&R is a favorite "trail gun" of mine, especially when hunting with rifle or shotgun, and I shoot it often.