PDA

View Full Version : Picked up some solder

BK7saum
10-09-2020, 05:51 PM
I stopped by the scrap yard today to look for some lead and ended up buying a little bit of solder.

Hated to do it, as I'd rather have tin or pewter than solder. But it had to be done.

60/40 bar solder, 37 lbs worth.

Winger Ed.
10-09-2020, 05:57 PM
Check out the antique car forums.
That's what was used to do body work on cars before 'Bondo' came along in the late 1950's.

You may be able to get way more than scrap price on sticks of it.

Nobody hardly uses it any more, but guys will buy that old stuff like bar solder and metal 1 qt. oil cans just to hang on the wall.
Like some of us do with full length brass shotgun shells, and even the old paper ones.

BK7saum
10-09-2020, 07:58 PM
Thanks, I don't frequent the antique car forums, wouldn't know where to start. Not really interested in selling. Only paid $1/lb. I'll put it back as a tin stash. I have some 95% Sn solder, pewter, and solder drippings from a radiator shop already. Just couldn't pass it up when they told me the price.

The Dar
10-09-2020, 10:03 PM
That's one I wouldn't walk away from either, nice score.

kevin c
10-10-2020, 02:25 AM
So you can't call it pure tin. What you CAN call it is cheap tin.

Good find!

smithnframe
10-10-2020, 05:22 AM
Check out the antique car forums.
That's what was used to do body work on cars before 'Bondo' came along in the late 1950's.

You may be able to get way more than scrap price on sticks of it.

Nobody hardly uses it any more, but guys will buy that old stuff like bar solder and metal 1 qt. oil cans just to hang on the wall.
Like some of us do with full length brass shotgun shells, and even the old paper ones.
Hence the name "Lead sleds"

lightman
10-10-2020, 05:12 PM
Thats a good score! I would not have passed that up either.

BK7saum
10-10-2020, 07:18 PM
Thanks. I occasionally come across a good/great deal, but they are rare. Been looking at wheel weights at $20/bucket, but I have some yet to be melted and about 800-1000 lbs of range scrap to be melted. Just gotta find the time to hook up the pot and melt some lead.

Vinne
10-13-2020, 07:23 PM
Thanks. I occasionally come across a good/great deal, but they are rare. Been looking at wheel weights at $20/bucket, but I have some yet to be melted and about 800-1000 lbs of range scrap to be melted. Just gotta find the time to hook up the pot and melt some lead.

Never stop looking. One day, not too long from now, $20 a bucket will seem like a steal when it is so hard to find the cost will go up to $20 a lb. The supply dried up in my area and is as hard to find as hundred dollar bills in the street!!