PDA

View Full Version : TAC-XP load for non +P brass?

guy_with_boolits
10-09-2020, 01:42 PM
I'm trying to come up with a starting load for Barnes TAC-XP (lead free copper hollow point) in 45 ACP. I will be reloading range pickup brass so I have to assume non +P brass. However, all the load data I can find specifies +P.

Is there a logic I can use to figure out a load for non +P brass based on that?

My powder choices are:

cfe pistol
hs-6
IMR red
hp-38
bullseye

I have to use these bullets instead of my cast boolits because of legal reasons! Believe me I would much rather use my cast boolits.

Cargo
10-09-2020, 01:56 PM
I could be wrong but everything I've read has stated the "+P" head stamp is for ID purposes only and internal case structure and capacity is the same. If you're using a specific bullet for that load you'll already know it's +P.

guy_with_boolits
10-09-2020, 02:18 PM
I could be wrong but everything I've read has stated the "+P" head stamp is for ID purposes only and internal case structure and capacity is the same. If you're using a specific bullet for that load you'll already know it's +P.

I've seen some contradictory info on this, I'm pretty sure starline +P brass is definitely different than normal brass for 45ACP (might not be true for other calibers). (I am using random range picksup not starline)

I found some non +P load data for TAC-XP, its pretty clear because it has two separate tables for 45 ACP and 45 ACP +P

So now I think the problem is converting this data to a powder I actually have..since I have none of these powders...sigh..

Can I just lookup how these powders compare to one I do have, for a different bullet? Like this:

The load data below shows 160 gn TAC-XP at 6.7gn ram silhouette

(I do not have ram silhouette)

My lee die load chart shows 160 gn barnes solid at 6.7gn ram silhouette

My lee die load chart also shows 160 gn barnes solid at 6.7gn CFE pistol

I do have CFE pistol

So can I infer that I can load the TAC-XP 160gn at 6.7gn CFE pistol?

https://i.postimg.cc/SxH72XcX/image-2020-10-09-111312.png

Cargo
10-09-2020, 02:56 PM
My powder choices are:

cfe pistol
hs-6
IMR red
hp-38
bullseye

2nd Edition Lee Modern Reloading has data for the Barnes X Solid 160gr 45acp with all of your on hand powders EXCEPT Bullseye.

For CFE Pistol LMR states the starting charge at 6.7gr @ 1034fps and a MAX charge of 7.6gr @ 1154fps.

guy_with_boolits
10-09-2020, 03:05 PM
2nd Edition Lee Modern Reloading has data for the Barnes X Solid 160gr 45acp with all of your on hand powders EXCEPT Bullseye.

For CFE Pistol LMR states the starting charge at 6.7gr @ 1034fps and a MAX charge of 7.6gr @ 1154fps.

So its okay to say barnes "X" solid bullet = TAC-XP?

I mean that seems reasonable..they are both solid copper and I think even both hollow points.

But what about the 185gn TAC-XP (I have both).

The lee data only shows 4 powders for it, and I don't have any of them.

However, if we look at the 160gn, and how the load changes from silhouette to say cfe pistol, its the same load, but a different min OAL.

Could I do the same for the 185gn? Take the Lee solid X 185gn load, and just adjust the min OAL?

I wouldn't load any of this at min OAL actually. For 160gn it says 1.200". I'd load at 1.235" to start.

Cargo
10-09-2020, 03:10 PM
So its okay to say barnes "X" solid bullet = TAC-XP?

I mean that seems reasonable..they are both solid copper and I think even both hollow points.
I would ASSUME that to be accurate since that is the only Barnes 160gr solid they have listed but I would confirm before I started seating bullets.

guy_with_boolits
10-09-2020, 03:22 PM
from hodgdon website

the starting loads seem to be below +P so normal brass

three questions

what does "winchester" case mean
and how important is trim length 0.893"
is the COL the actual COL for the load or the min COL? Lee data calls 1.200" the min OAL.

https://i.postimg.cc/MKWP0rXy/image-2020-10-09-122149.png

guy_with_boolits
10-09-2020, 11:05 PM
welp I went with:

7gn CFE pistol
random range pickup brass
OAL 1.235
TAC-XP 160gn

Seems to shoot okay. Only fired about 6 shots though. Wasnt able to do very accurate testing. But it shoots! Forgot to inspect ejected brass for pressure signs. Will do that next time. At some point I'll get the chrono out for it.

Cargo
10-10-2020, 07:59 PM
welp I went with:

7gn CFE pistol
random range pickup brass
OAL 1.235
TAC-XP 160gn

Seems to shoot okay. Only fired about 6 shots though. Wasnt able to do very accurate testing. But it shoots! Forgot to inspect ejected brass for pressure signs. Will do that next time. At some point I'll get the chrono out for it.
How was POI vs POA? Extraction, Ejection and Recoil about normal?

guy_with_boolits
10-10-2020, 08:35 PM
How was POI vs POA? Extraction, Ejection and Recoil about normal?

I've only shot a few types of ammo in this gun so my observations about ejection and recoil probably aren't worth much. They felt different than my other ammo, but this is the first 160gn I've shot and first solid copper, and first time with this powder lol!

The kind of shooting I did couldnt give me a good idea of POI vs POA, I will try to narrow that down next time. These are expensive bullets so a little tricky in my situation.

So in other words I have nothing useful to report but hopefully by the time I go through all these I will

LinotypeIngot
10-11-2020, 02:49 AM
I've loaded and fired over a thousand rounds of .45 Super in regular .45acp brass so I wouldn't worry about +P. YMMV of course. Always be careful and work up, etc etc.

jonp
10-11-2020, 04:50 AM
Make sure you load to the velocity that the TAC requires for proper expansion.