PDA

View Full Version : rcbs paint

porthos
10-09-2020, 12:19 PM
anyone ever find a paint that will duplicate the rcbs factory wrinkle finish. i have a A2 that i want to start to use; and it would be nice to have it look new.

Pressman
10-09-2020, 12:45 PM
A real wrinkle finish requires very specific baking in an oven. There are some others around that sort of simulate a wrinkle finish. Getting the correct color will be a challenging labor of love.
Where to look, I don't know. If my memory is still working there was a length thread about press painting a couple of years ago, if you can find it.
Ken

GregLaROCHE
10-09-2020, 12:59 PM
The ones that simulate wrinkle paint work well, but I only had them on surfaces that weren’t subject to abrasion. Finding the same color may not be easy I’ve only had experience with black.

Have you considered powder coating. I only have experience with shake n bake, but have PCed small objects other than boolits. You probably will need a spray application. You could mix a color close to original, but not wrinkled.

If you don’t want to invest in in the equipment, maybe you can rent it. A kitchen oven will probably work to bake it.

psychodad
10-09-2020, 01:26 PM
Found this a while back. I have no idea how close it is to the real thing. Test on some scrap metal.

Rustoleum "Hammered Green" over Rustoleum hi build primer. Two primer coats laid on heavy and sanded after each. One very thin coat and then one heavy coat of the hammered green. The color is a pretty darn good match, the texture is just slightly off.

porthos
10-09-2020, 02:09 PM
there is a rattle can product , VHT wrinkle paint. i used it on a C&H press. color matches great and it is wrinkled. if i remember right you have to put it on heavy to get the wrinkle effect. (follow the directions). however, there is no green color. i like my equiptment to look "clean". i'll buy a can of the rusteolum hammered finish and experiment. or paint it red wrinlke and say that it is a early production C&H press

GregLaROCHE
10-09-2020, 02:15 PM
That hammered paint is great, but takes time to cure, especially if you put it on thick. It’s more like a plastic than a paint.

Elroy
10-09-2020, 02:19 PM
You could possibly buy a different color of the wrinkle texture paint, and then apply the closest color to RCBS green over top of it, and still have the wrinkle affect if you don't apply it too heavily.

GregLaROCHE
10-09-2020, 04:59 PM
That hammered paint is great, but takes time to cure, especially if you put it on thick. It’s more like a plastic than a paint.

Actually I made a mistake. The paint I used was Hammerite, not Hammered.

jimkim
10-10-2020, 11:25 AM
Try this on several pieces until you get the wrinkle and colour you want. Then, you can be the RCBS restoring expert.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102653

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk