PDA

View Full Version : Marlin bulls-eye?

mainiac
12-07-2008, 07:25 PM
What do you folks glue new bulls-eyes back in with? I have 2 336 that need new bulls-eyes. Also, my 1965 model 39a has a bullseye made of dark walnut, and was finished in the stock. Ever seen this? All the bullseyes ive ever seen were white plastic, except for this one. thanks,

DJWright
12-23-2008, 11:03 AM
I doubt anyone glues them back in personaly. Most would rather get rid of them. I take them out, and drill a hole there and screw in a sling swivel stud. Thats the only hokey thing on Marlins is that plastic bullseye plug.

S.R.Custom
12-23-2008, 12:14 PM
What do you folks glue new bulls-eyes back in with?

Acraglas. Failing that, any clear, two-part epoxy works well. Just take a rag with mineral spirits to the excess before it sets up.

kingstrider
12-23-2008, 02:17 PM
I doubt anyone glues them back in personaly. Most would rather get rid of them. I take them out, and drill a hole there and screw in a sling swivel stud. Thats the only hokey thing on Marlins is that plastic bullseye plug.

I would disagree. Marlin has been putting the bullseye on its walnut stock models since the 1920s and it is a unique if quirky feature. As far as I can tell the bullseye has no purpose but it is as American as apple pie or baseball. Glue that sucker back in and enjoy!

PatMarlin
12-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Acra-glass -

Love the Marlin trademark "Bullseye". Specially when they get old and yellowed with age. Very cool.. :Fire:

I'd even go a step futher as a Marlin collector, there is no way I would buy a Marlin with the bullseye replaced with a sling swivel unless the bullseye could be replaced without evidence of having done so.

Just will not buy a Marlin without that bullseye.

6pt-sika
12-23-2008, 09:26 PM
As far as I can tell the bullseye has no purpose but it is as American as apple pie or baseball !

You are quite correct !

It's nothing more then a trademark !

To a person like myself who accumulates and or collects Marlin's it's not something I would want to drill out !

6pt-sika
12-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Just will not buy a Marlin without that bullseye.

If you start collecting the pre 1920 rifle's you'll have to do without !

Cause they ain't gottum [smilie=1:

I have a pair of Marlin 1892's , five 1893's , three 1894's and four 1895's all made before 1916 and NONE of them have Bullseyes . And it is my understanding that they didn't start with the Bullseye until about the same time the model name changed from 1893 to 93 which was I think somewhere 1920-1922 .

jnovotny
12-23-2008, 11:01 PM
I love my marlins little bullseyes!!!

PatMarlin
12-23-2008, 11:17 PM
I know the old ones don't got em Craig. To bad, cause that would be real cool to have some 1800 bulleyes. I think the bullseye was a stroke of genious by someone. Whoever thought of it.

Chuck 100 yd
12-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I agree with kingstrider and those who have the same thought.When I build a custom stock for a Marlin it has the bullseye just like god intended.
I use epoxy.