PDA

View Full Version : WTB Luger Dis-assembly tools

beezapilot
10-07-2020, 04:40 PM
Tricky post this one.

My brother finally found a Luger and is in the market for a take-down tool. This is outside my field of expertise, but I'm guessing that many of the members here are well acquainted with them. He would love an original period (WWII Vintage) tool, but there are a great many counterfeits out there. He is OK with a counterfeit, but doesn't want to pay the price for an original. A re-pop is fine too- priced accordingly. In short, as long as he gets what he pays for he'll be happy. SO, let me know what you have via post or PM.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-07-2020, 06:10 PM
I don't specifically know of any for sale right now (because I haven't been looking for one) but both SARCO and Gun Parts Co. have offered replicas in the past at reasonable prices. I'd start by checking there. An original will definitely cost more that a repro, but as to appearance and utility there isn't much difference. The tool came standard in the holster, usually with a cleaning rod and extra magazine. If he's looking to complete his Luger with a holster you can often find a holster that comes with the tool inside of it.

GOPHER SLAYER
10-07-2020, 06:27 PM
It is easy to field strip. Just turn the lever on the side plate. That is the plate that transfers the trigger motion the the sear, outside the frame. After you have turned the lever, the barrel and breach block and toggle assembly will slide forward. I never found need for further disassembly.

rmcc
10-07-2020, 07:26 PM
I think the tool you are talking about is to load the mags. You definitely NEED one to get the last few rounds in unless you have pain free thumbs. As GOPHERSLAYER said, you don't need any tools to field strip unless you want to take grips off. Aside from some feeding issues they are a great pistol!

Der Gebirgsjager
10-07-2020, 08:45 PM
It is easy to field strip. Just turn the lever on the side plate. That is the plate that transfers the trigger motion the the sear, outside the frame. After you have turned the lever, the barrel and breach block and toggle assembly will slide forward. I never found need for further disassembly.

This is true, but before you can get the lever to turn downward you need to press the muzzle against a hard flat surface and push forward, which will push the barrel and toggle assembly backward about 1/4-1/2 inch. Turn the lever downward while maintaining the pressure, or it will never turn. Many Lugers have nicks and scratches around the lever from people who did not know that the lever won't move without following this procedure.

DCP
10-07-2020, 08:55 PM
https://www.amazon.com/German-Takedown-Tool-Luger-Marked/dp/B0761SGSQ3

rmcc
10-07-2020, 11:35 PM
"This is true, but before you can get the lever to turn downward you need to press the muzzle against a hard flat surface and push forward, which will push the barrel and toggle assembly backward about 1/4-1/2 inch. Turn the lever downward while maintaining the pressure, or it will never turn. Many Lugers have nicks and scratches around the lever from people who did not know that the lever won't move without following this procedure."

Great point!!

farrell
10-08-2020, 01:41 PM
Tricky post this one.

My brother finally found a Luger and is in the market for a take-down tool. This is outside my field of expertise, but I'm guessing that many of the members here are well acquainted with them. He would love an original period (WWII Vintage) tool, but there are a great many counterfeits out there. He is OK with a counterfeit, but doesn't want to pay the price for an original. A re-pop is fine too- priced accordingly. In short, as long as he gets what he pays for he'll be happy. SO, let me know what you have via post or PM.

call bob simpson in gailsburg ill he hashem

beezapilot
10-08-2020, 07:33 PM
Thank you gentlemen! As a member of the geezer squad I never thought of Amazon-