PDA

View Full Version : MP525 slug “Wad” vs “Fullbore”

ChuckJaxFL
10-07-2020, 01:23 PM
I’ll get one or the other. Which one did you pick, and why?

It will be used in both a smooth and a fully rifled barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longbow
10-07-2020, 07:07 PM
Just my opinion but I would prefer full bore slug. The wad slug introduces a variable in wad type and petal thickness. A full bore slug is full bore for any normal bore size so will fit regardless.

Wad slug makes for easier loading in that you use a standard trap wad and just drop in the slug but wads do differ from manufacturer to manufacturer and lot to lot. If the petals are not consistent thickness and concentric accuracy will suffer in rifled gun.

As an example, many years ago Greg Sappington (aka 12bore) asked me to make him a mould for a wad slug be was developing for a custom bolt action rifled 12 ga. The slug performed as he wanted but he could not get the accuracy he wanted using commercial wads so went a different route and had wads machined from Delrin. For most of us that isn't practical.

My experience is primarily with smoothbore and even there I generally find it easier to get good consistent accuracy using a bore diameter slug... but it has to be at least bore diameter to larger than bore diameter. Even just a couple thou under results in poor accuracy.

You will likely get varying opinions but that's mine.

Something I think everyone will agree on though is that MP moulds are top notch! They have been described as so nicely made that they are "jewelry".

Longbow

rancher1913
10-07-2020, 10:19 PM
get both, you will thank me later.

longbow
10-08-2020, 08:31 PM
Now there's a better answer from a guy who is thinking!