PDA

View Full Version : Creating a nail nick?

Naphtali
10-07-2020, 12:50 PM
I have a useful two-bladed double-locking folding knife with a slightly more than annoying problem. I am left-handed. The knife's most used blade (both blades pivot on one pivot pin) blade has a right-hander's thumb stud for opening it. This stud interferes with about 3/8 inch of blade when slicing or penetrating deeply. I have tried to open the blade when my hands are wet or greasy without switching hands. Opening is very difficult for my arthritic fingers, but opening a dry blade with dry fingers is easy.

The secondary blade has a nail nick and operates easily regardless of conditions. Unfastening thumb stud and creating a nail nick or other method of opening the blade should remedy this irritating issue. And were the nail nick to be poorly done, or the nick to not do what I want it to do, no big deal. I just reattach the stud, and I am no worse off than I am now.

I have no Dremel tool or other power grinder/cutter. No file I own can do the job. Neither twist drill nor drill bits can notch blade. I live in Missoula County, Montana. Anyone in the area available for the job? While it appears to me to be a five-minute job, I am more than willing to pay for the work.

Scrounge
10-07-2020, 02:07 PM
Get a set of riffler files, and you can do it yourself. You can find them on Amazon for over $300 for Swiss or American-made files, or under $20 if you don't mind Chinese tools. I have a set of the latter that my mom gave me about 40 years ago. Don't need them often, but when I do nothing else will work. If you might get into gunsmithing, you can also get riffler rasps for working on gunstocks and such things.

Or you could buy a set of cheap needle files, heat the end of one red hot, and bend it into a short curve, and dunk it in used motor oil. Harbor Freight has a set of needle files for under $3.

4rdwhln
10-07-2020, 02:09 PM
Hey there, I also live in Missoula. I can try to notch the blade for you. if you are interested PM me and we will go from there. One of the knives I carry daily is a 20+ year old Benchmade. It has a disc on the blade spine that makes either hand opening a breeze. It may be an option for you as well.

Naphtali
10-07-2020, 02:52 PM
PM sent.