PDA

View Full Version : Rossi R92 .45 Colt arrived - first experience

Seth_AZ
10-07-2020, 12:19 PM
So I received the Rossi R92.

Having read of the issues with bore diameter from others, I tried some Hi-Tek coated, unsized bullets cast from the Lee 255gr FN mould. I brought 16 rounds with me to pick up the gun (it was at the range) and just fired it to try it out.

I got some pretty ferocious leading. The unsized raw bullets size out to around .454", so with the Hi-Tek they're a couple thousandths over.

I've borescoped and slugged the bore. I was getting measurements of around .454" (some measurements showed .4535" but my calipers probably aren't accurate enough for that to be authoritative).

Borescoping showed tons of horizontal tool marks all the way up the lands and grooves. At least when I slugged at the muzzle end and at the chamber end the measurements came out identical within the accuracy limitations of my caliper.

I think I'm going to roll some firelapping bullets using the LBT firelapping compound, then follow those up with some bullets rolled onto some JB Bore Compound as a finish polisher. I don't want to raise the bore diameter, but just knock down the toolmarks a bit and smooth it up. No jacketed rounds have been fired in the bore, so whatever burnishing effects jacketed bullets would have on the surface roughness of the bore have not been done. I'm thinking 10 firelapping bullets and maybe another 15 of the bullets with JB Bore Compound grit embedded in them. I'll clean it every 2 or 3 shots with the firelapping bullets, then do a final cleaning after I'm done firing all of these and slug and borescope it again and see what difference it makes.

As far as moulds go, the ones I use for .45 ACP drop around .452" or so, but I'm thinking if I cast these, then apply 2 or 3 coats of Hi-Tek, size using a .454" sizing die, then apply one more coat of Hi-Tek to the sized bullets, that should leave the bullets at around .455", which should be good. The Lee 255gr bullets I'll do the same to, but they'll be sized a bit more since the Hi-Tek on top of a .454" bullet will build up enough thickness to be sized down a lot in that die.

I'm still searching for info on what weight of bullets will be well stabilized by the slow 1:30" twist of the barrel. I haven't found anything definitve yet, but seeing reports of others showing 280-300+ grain bullets with adequate accuracy is encouring. I'd really like to shoot some lighter (200-215gr) bullets that I cast for my .45 ACP for general plinking, but I'd like to have the option to go with something heavier than 255gr if I decide to take this hunting. That said, anything I'd conceivably hunt (I'm not really a hunter) would probably be dropped authoritatively with a 255gr bullet, so I may not need to go any heavier.

Seth_AZ
10-07-2020, 12:28 PM
Btw the load I used for those 16 rounds just to try the gun out were 8.0gr of Clean Shot powder (essentially AA#2) with these 255gr Lee bullets, using a Federal large pistol magnum primer. This load should have been right around max for the low pressure .45 Colt loads, and just around minimum for the Ruger Only loads in .45 Colt. Since this carbine is strong enough for Ruger Only type .45 Colt loads, I figured this would be around middle of the road on pressure.

They shot really pleasantly. There was recoil, but it was really mild, not sharp or painful. It was a load I could shoot all day.

My R92 has the 16" barrel. With the buckhorn sights that came on it, and that 16" barrel reducing the sight radius compared to a 20" version, I found it a little irksome trying to get a good, clean, consistent sight picture on some targets I had set up at 25 yards. I didn't do any formal accuracy testing, so no comment there. I need to get used to the sights and improve the trigger pull a bit and then actually establish how this thing shoots.

Froogal
10-07-2020, 01:50 PM
My Rossi R92 .45 Colt LIKES .452 diameter, 200 grain round nose flat point. SPG lube in the lube groove. 8.5 grains of Unique. Consistently accurate out to 80 yards or so, and NO leading.

Harter66
10-08-2020, 09:58 PM
I shot one a lot . I worked up several loads . Mostly from the BlackHawk loads at 1050 there . 452-255 RF Lee , 454424 round groove and the NOE version and the Lee 452-252 SWC . 1230-1250 fps out of the 16" M92' . The 252 was a failure past 40 yd . The other 3 were great until I really started "wringing it out" . They were down to transonic between 78-82 yd at which point they departed line of flight at 10:00 about 30° up . Same loads whacked softballs regular at 70 yd . Your loads will need to be either supersonic to your terminal range or be kept subsonic .

To answer your question I have a custom Mountain Molds .453-350 that is 350 gr and did well at 1000 fps and with H322 1280 fps . 100 yd was still just out of reach super .
I believe the 1-30" is just too slow and the bullets lacked sufficient rotation to beat the buffeting . I have a rebarrel pending with a 1-16 and a closer to spec chamber . The . 484 mouth and .492 body is hard on brass . My grooves were .450 with a dip under the front sight dovetail .

CTI1USNRET
10-09-2020, 04:03 PM
20" Rossi 45 Colt El Jefe
Ruger level load, based (conservatively) on 225 gr and 240 gr jacketed bullets with H110 on Hodgdon's site:

45 Colt
230 gr .4515 Moly RN (45 ACP bullet from Precision Bullets)
23.5 gr H110
#350 CCI magnum large pistol primer
1.600" OAL
½ turn Lee factory crimp die
Starline brass

I ring this metal silhouette at 200 yards consistently with that load. Muzzle velocity averaged 1715. No leading. This thing is COOKIN'!

I use a Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper for all rifle loads. I get very low extreme spreads in velocity. My last batch of the above load had a spread of only 16 fps for 5 shots.

Cargo
10-10-2020, 06:29 PM
How's the action? Any loading gate issues? I'm in the market and Rossi is about the only thing close to my budget right now.

CTI1USNRET
10-10-2020, 10:22 PM
The action is smooth and easy. No problems with the loading gate at all. This gun is FUN !

Any of their centerfire lever actions would be good deer rifles.

Cargo
10-10-2020, 10:28 PM
The action is smooth and easy. No problems with the loading gate at all. This gun is FUN !

Any of their centerfire lever actions would be good deer rifles.
That's great to hear, I have really been wanting a pistol caliber lever gun lately. I think I'm hooked on straight walls and carbide lol.