PDA

View Full Version : What carbide dies work best for reloading 45 ACP?

Galvin_Ground
10-06-2020, 08:18 PM
I am brand new to reloading, let alone reloading automatic pistol ammo. I am a buddy of Variable Recall who lead me here, and he said you guys could help! I have access to a Lee hand press (don't laugh) and removable dies to attach to it. I also got access to Recall's other equipment too. What are the steps to reload 45 ACP? Any pitfalls for the process, or automatic ammo in general?

StuBach
10-06-2020, 08:24 PM
Get yourself a copy of Lyman (or other brand) loading manual and read the beginning section for lots of good info on reloading in general. Back section will have technical documentation by round including starting and max loads for each bullet and powder (most common bullets represented).

As for good dies, I’m personally partial to the Dillon ones cause I like their decapping assembly and their flipable seating stems but RCBS makes good ones too from my experience.

Single stage is the best way to learn the basics. Learn from small mistakes that are easy to catch before stepping to a progressive where mistakes are harder to catch cause your focus is on multiple operations all at once. Enjoy, I’ve been reloading 30 years (most of my life since I started when I was 6-7) and it’s amazingly satisfying to produce your own perfect load for your particular gun. Glad to welcome you to the addiction.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-06-2020, 08:32 PM
Hello Galvin Ground, welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks here, and lots of information for casters and reloaders.

Which .45 ACP carbide dies are the best? I would say all of them. I have Lee and RCBS, with no preference. I think as long as they do the job they're all equal-- except maybe in price.

Pitfalls? .45 ACP is a pretty easy cartridge to reload. Most folks that shoot them use a 1911 semi-auto pistol or one of it's clones. Because of the slam/bang of the action a firm crimp of the case is needed on the bullet. Some use a roll crimp, built into 95% of all .45 seating dies, and some prefer a taper crimp.

You would do well to invest in a couple of reloading manuals. Many of them give a tutorial on reloading in the first half of the book, often with photos.

Please bring all of your questions here, and you will no doubt receive numerous answers with lots of advice. :D

375supermag
10-06-2020, 09:00 PM
Hi...
I load a lot of .45ACP on my RockChucker and Hornady LnL.
I use RCBS carbide dies and a Hornady taper crimp die.
The combination works well for me.

Txcowboy52
10-06-2020, 09:19 PM
Welcome aboard ! I have loaded tens of thousands of 45ACP , if I can help in any way , just let me know.

wv109323
10-06-2020, 09:27 PM
Any on the major brands will work. RCBS, Lee Lyman ,Dillon.
If you are going to load lead boolits, many die makers size the neck expanders undersize. Neck expanders will around .448" for jacketed .seating 451" bullets. This is ok for harder copper jacketed bullets but when .452" lead bulluts are seated they can ne reduced in diameter.
Taper crimp is the way to go on pistol calbers that head spce on the case mouth.

Galvin_Ground
10-06-2020, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the advice! I am going to look into getting myself a manual.

dverna
10-06-2020, 09:35 PM
Agree with taper crimp

I prefer Dillon dies. If loading lubed bullets, the seating die has a clip that makes cleaning crud buildup simple without resetting the die. All my pistol dies are Dillon

Even with carbide, a bit of Hornady One Shot makes sizing easier.

samari46
10-07-2020, 12:32 AM
Dillon without question. Helps if you have a 550B but can use the dies in a regular press. Frank

Bazoo
10-07-2020, 01:00 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I like RCBS dies personally but any brand will suffice.

http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manuals/Bullet%20Casting/Lyman%20Cast%20Bullet%20Handbook%20-%203rd%20Edition%20-%201980%20-%20Reduce.pdf

You need to read this.

2A-Jay
10-07-2020, 01:01 AM
If you are starting on a budget Lee Carbide dies are a good choice. RCBS Carbide and Hornady Carbide are good dies though considerably more expensive.as with Dillon dies. As stated Buy A current issue Reloading Manual or more. Straight Wall Handgun ammo is very easy to reload.

reddog81
10-07-2020, 01:30 AM
Steps to reload 45 ACP? The first step is definitely reading a manual.

Best dies? How do you define best? Lyman has a pro die pack that runs $180. I’ve never seen one but it’s probably pretty good.

Bazoo
10-07-2020, 02:04 AM
You can get a used RCBS die set for around 25 bucks. If you put a want to buy add on the swapping and selling section, I magine someone will have a set of 45 dies they will sell.

jonp
10-07-2020, 02:27 AM
I've tried a few different carbide dies in 45ACP and don't find one better than the other. It seems to come down to "Ford vs Chevy" as to preference. I use Lee dies mostly. Second all of the remarks on reading the Lyman Manual front to back. Lot's of good information in it as well as the Lee Reloading manual.

bakerjw
10-07-2020, 06:22 AM
I've run then with Lee or RCBS. Very straightforward reloading process. Get and read a book.
Welcome to the site. Many helpful people here.

10-x
10-07-2020, 08:00 AM
Welcome to the forum, you will get correct answers here. Agree, Any one New to Reloading Needs to buy a couple of manuals, read and re read ask any question here or your mentor. I reloaded for 40 some years, countless .45 ACP( favorite round) , got a RCBS taper crimp die as thats what all the Colts wanted. Enjoy.

Moleman-
10-07-2020, 08:24 AM
Loaded well over 100k with a set of lee 45acp dies and still use them. Started out with a Lee Challanger press kit and loaded 44mag and 45acp for several years before getting a progressive. I also have RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Hornady, C&H dies and others. It all comes down to what die features you prefer. I like the decapping stem on the Lee so many of the die sets I have are theirs.

You've been given some good advise. Get a manual, read the front section where all the "how to" information is. On many different sites you'll often see basic questions asked over and over again that the poster should of known had they just read a loading manual. It helps you to get a better overview of the whole process and will let you troubleshoot easier. Another suggestion for those just starting out would be to pick a powder that you physically cannot put a double charge in the case. I used Blue Dot when first loading 45acp. There are better powders out there for 45acp, but 50fps one way or the other isn't going to matter and a double charge of bluedot will fill the case up to the top and be very apparent. I reloaded like that for several years before branching out into progressives. Your biggest cost is going to be the bullet, so if you have a good source of lead you can cast your own and shoot 45acp for the cost of a primer and powder to push it down the barrel.

lightman
10-07-2020, 09:27 AM
Welcome Aboard!

The above suggestions to start by reading is a good idea. The Lyman book is as good as any. After you read some feel free to ask questions.

Many of us reloaders are loyal to one brand of equipment but the truth is that they all work ok. I use mostly RCBS with a few Dillon thrown into the mix. The 45ACP is pretty straight forward to reload. Some pistols feed some types of bullets better than others. Before you load a large quantity I suggest loading a few to make sure that your pistol will feed them. Pistol bullets, being relatively short, are hard to pull so you don't want a bunch of loaded rounds that won't feed.

Froogal
10-07-2020, 09:38 AM
I've reloaded countless 9mm, .38 special, .357 magnum, and .45 Colt using the LEE dies. Placed an order for 3 more LEE die sets just a few minutes ago .45 acp, .40 s&w, and .44-40. I don't need the latest 3 sets yet, but hope to need them in the near future.

DocSavage
10-07-2020, 10:23 AM
I have a mix of carbide dies RCBS,Redding and Dillon,all work well but the Dillon dies have 1 advantage and a minor disadvantage. Advantage you can dismantle Dillon dies by removing a clip without having to reset them disadvantage they don't come with a lockable ring. Dillon's die are meant to be used in their tool heads so a lock ring isn't needed again minor point but a set of lockable ring aren't all that expensive and if you go to swap and sell most likely you could get some from a member for free. I know I have several I keep on hand should I get a die that doesn't have a lock ring.

Cargo
10-07-2020, 12:10 PM
Hello and Welcome. I just began reloading in March. I started in a hurry and on a budget but I will say that since March I've reloaded/loaded several thousand rds on Lee Carbide dies and a Lee Hand Press. Knowing you can go home and load your own takes the sting out of seeing those bare shelves and the higher prices.

BamaNapper
10-07-2020, 03:49 PM
If it has to be carbide I can't help, but I use Hornady Titanium Nitride dies in 45. I like them, they're more than Lee but don't break the bank, and a spent case slides through the sizing die easy enough without lube. Any carbide or titanium die should be fine in the hand press if your quantity of brass is small enough or your shoulders are young enough. They say no lube needed, but a little on a case now and then doesn't seem to hurt. I can tell a difference with a little lube, and I'm not using a hand press.

You picked an enjoyable hobby, have fun.

higgins
10-07-2020, 05:41 PM
I'm partial to Lyman pistol die sets because you get the M-die for cast bullet loading.

Winger Ed.
10-07-2020, 05:58 PM
Welcome aboard.

I'm glad you found this place to ask such questions rather than trusting the random wisdom
of an old wino in the alley behind the biker bar/tattoo parlor.

In your situation, I'd get Lee dies & stuff.
After a few hundred thousand rounds, you may want to get others, but the Lee dies will do a good job for ya.

flyingmonkey35
10-07-2020, 06:29 PM
Welocme

1s ditch the handpress if you can buy a lee single stage. If you can.

2nd regarldes of what press you get even with carbide sizing dies a littile imprial sizing wax will help go a long way.

Dies get diryty and the wax will just help it glide.

You dont need much at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gwpercle
10-07-2020, 07:49 PM
Nothing wrong with the Lee Hand press ... don't ditch it .
I have 5 bench mounted presses but reload all my handgun and 30-30 on two Lee Hand Presses .
The bench mounted are good for extra leverage but straight wall handgun cases don't need it .
45 acp is one of the easier rounds to load . Nothing wrong with Lee Carbide dies , they even come with a shell holder and powder scoop to get you started .
A little Lee case lube even with the carbide dies makes sizing easier.
The Lee hand press will come in handy even when you upgrade to a bigger press ...there is always some little odd job that needs doing and you don't wont to reset your big press dies .
One of Lee's better idea's ...it has the whack-a-mole loader beat seven ways to Sunday !
Gary

reloader28
10-07-2020, 10:15 PM
I've never understood why someone would spend the extra money on carbide dies then lube the brass. No sense at all to me.
Clean your brass at the start and any brand carbide die will work fine without an extra polishing step after sizing

Rich/WIS
10-08-2020, 08:34 AM
Have used Lyman, RCBS, LEE and Hornady for 45 and all worked as designed. Current set is Hornady 3 die plus a taper crimp die. The 45 ACP is one of the easiest loading cartridges and there is a wealth of info and bullet molds available.

jimlj
10-08-2020, 03:51 PM
If you are still looking for a set of dies I have a set of Bonanza .45acp dies I'd be happy to give you. I bought them used at a gun show 30 or more years ago and have loaded hundreds of rounds with them. These have an extra sizer die that I think is carbide, I have used it without lube with no problems. PM me if you need them.

David2011
10-09-2020, 07:33 PM
As said, any of the major brands of dies will load .45 ACP and they will all give you ammunition that is as good as the care you put into making it. Also as said, the Dillons have features that put them above the rest, especially if you load lubed lead boolits. They're easy to clean without disturbing the adjustment. The decapper is spring loaded and positively ejects the primer so it doesn't get sucked back up into the primer pocket. They do come with locking nuts so you don't have to buy third party locking rings. They are higher priced than most but I have never regretted buying them. All of my high volume handgun dies are Dillon.

DocSavage
10-09-2020, 08:21 PM
Dillon dies do have locking nuts but as I said earlier they are designed for toolhead use in their550,650/750 and 1050 presses. You'd have to reset them everytime you use them.

fatnhappy
10-09-2020, 09:17 PM
May I humbly suggest you head to your local library, check out a reloading manual, read it cover to cover, then repeat until you’ve read all the copies in your local library system.

It’s an excellent free resource of which you may avail without needing to distill internet advice.

I usually prefer hornady dies because the seater is easy to disassemble and clean while in use.

Ymmv

MT Chambers
10-10-2020, 04:23 PM
Redding makes the best dies, carbide or otherwise, not the cheapest but I'll take quality over cheapness anytime.