PDA

View Full Version : broken scope mount screw in receiver

atr
10-06-2020, 02:24 PM
I was at the range this morning and ran in to an old friend. We got to talking and he mentioned he had a broken screw in his receiver. The screw was holding his scope base and he said it just sheered-off. The question is: How best to remove this screw?
any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
thanks
atr

405grain
10-06-2020, 05:44 PM
A number 6 screw is going to be really small for an easy out. One suggestion is to carefully drill into the broken screw, then lightly hammer a small torx drive bit into the hole such that it kinda swages itself into the hole a little bit. Then try backing the screw out with the torx bit. Some penetrating oil on the screw couldn't hurt. If the torx bit doesn't work, then your still able to try it with an easy out. And if that doesn't work, then gradually drill the hole in the screw larger and larger until there's only a thin shell of the screw left, then try to spin that out. If things totally go off the edge of a cliff you can always re-drill and tap the hole for a #8 screw, but that's last resort stuff.

cub45
10-06-2020, 06:06 PM
Left hand bit

country gent
10-06-2020, 06:43 PM
Pick up a small prick punch and 4 ounce ball peen hammer. Put a small punch mark on the outside edge of the screw just inside the edge. Now angle the punch and lightly tap in the direction to remove it. This should back it out. Works and is quick to do. Ive removed a lot of broken screws over the years like this. If there is screw above you might cut a shallow slot with a sharp chisel and use a screwdriver.

samari46
10-07-2020, 01:04 AM
If all else fails, locate a drill hole using a milling machine. Had this happen on a Marlin 336. Some fool glued in the mounting screws,I managed to get two out breaking a couple screw driver bits. Smith had them out in ten minutes and cleaned up the threads. Money well spent. Frank

Drm50
10-07-2020, 08:49 AM
If not rusted in and head snaps off, screw should come out easy. There should be no need for drilling and screw extractors. The small punch and peck hammer should back it right out. If Bubba has already been at it with Dollar Store screwdrivers it’s a different story. Most of the time it’s from using improper screwdriver and not knowing when to quit. You get the feel on how much pressure screw slot will take. If it’s not breaking then penetrating oil or heat needs applied.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-07-2020, 09:06 AM
You received an abundance of good advice here. I'd start with Post #2 and work my way down.

Gtek
10-07-2020, 09:54 AM
First thought is blind hole or not. Very sharp punch at 45 degrees sometimes gets them moving and then grab with small flush cutters to finish out. I have learned (maybe just me) driving in extractors or splined anything displaces metal and sometimes makes things worse. Center drilling with a 1/3 or less diameter, then increasing to less than external hole diameter using Mill or press at slowest speed and bump bit and sometimes spin right through.

atr
10-07-2020, 10:07 AM
thanks guys, much appreciated.
atr

bigdog454
10-12-2020, 07:06 PM
If all else fails, milling mchn with a ball end mill. last resort, works every time.
BD

John Taylor
10-12-2020, 10:25 PM
I have had to drill out many, usually loctited in. Hardest part is making sure you are centered on the screw. Left hand drill bit will work on some but will not take one out that has red loctite. I usually go through the screw with a 3/32 carbide end mill and then with a #31 drill bit followed by a tap.

ulav8r
10-13-2020, 11:53 PM
John, don't you "dislike" customers who think more than recommended solutions are better? Red loctite should not be used for anything on a gun, except maybe to hold a liner in place.

Geezer in NH
10-14-2020, 07:30 PM
Left hand bit
I agree

country gent
10-14-2020, 09:13 PM
According to Loctite / permatex blue is also permanant on screws under #8 size and can be very hard to break lose on the finer 10s and 1/4". If in doubt of the screws apply a little heat and some light tapping. Even clean screws with out locktite can age bond and be hard to break loose after years of being in place