PDA

View Full Version : Washing machine repaired with YouTube video

marlin39a
10-06-2020, 01:40 PM
15 yr old LG front loader. Quit pumping out, and threw OE code. Manual says clogged filter. I checked, and it was clear. Entered my model on YouTube, and came up with an excellent video stating my drain pump had quit. Ordered a pump for about $50.00, and replaced using the video. Washing machine is as good as new. Years ago, I would have just replaced the machine. It was an easy repair. Instead of buying a new washing machine, I can buy a new firearm.

Winger Ed.
10-06-2020, 02:14 PM
How did we ever get along without youtube?

I've repaired a couple of refrigerators with their help, and could have fixed a brain dead washer if the part didn't
cost half of what it did new- 4 years ago.

I'm fixing to go out and pull a broken off spark plug in the '06 F-250's 5.4 triton with help from youtube.
Without youtube, it'd be at a mechanic shop, and I'd be about $1,500. lighter in the wallet,
instead of buying a $150 special extractor tool.

skeettx
10-06-2020, 02:50 PM
Yes, youtube is most helpful
Dryer belt replacement was a snap, once
I learned how to open up the machine!
Mike

marlin39a
10-06-2020, 02:56 PM
My refrigerator stopped cooling a few years back. YouTube video showed a cheap, front, part replacement. Got a problem with an appliance? Check there before replacing or calling the service man.

BamaNapper
10-06-2020, 03:49 PM
When our washing machine quit doing its thing, I hit up YouTube looking for guidance. The guy said run the diagnostics to determine the problem. Diagnostics? On a washing machine? Sure enough, the computer built into the washing machine runs a test that takes a few minutes and gave me an error code. The part was under $40 to get it up and running again. So, why doesn't my truck give me an error code instead of just turning on the stupid check engine light? If a computer can put the appliance repairman out of business, can't the computer in my truck do the same thing?

Winger Ed.
10-06-2020, 04:50 PM
If a computer can put the appliance repairman out of business, can't the computer in my truck do the same thing?

It does know what's wrong with it, and will tell you.
Ya just need to get a code reader at the local auto parts store.

I had a miss on the truck.
The code reader told me which fuel injector's wire clip connector wasn't plugged in tight enough.

dragon813gt
10-06-2020, 05:00 PM
A quick YouTube search when you want to fix anything is worth the time and effort. Since no manufacturer produces actual repair manuals it’s the next best thing.

abunaitoo
10-06-2020, 06:41 PM
utube is good, but you have to know what is bs and what is good.
Most of the postings there are just people who are looking for attention.
Plus, if they get enough hits, they can make some money.
But there is a world of good information there.

EDG
10-07-2020, 12:18 AM
Found a posting from an appliance pro when my dryer quit heating.

His trouble shooting guide pointed to a failed coil in the gas valve.
So I OHMED out the coils one was ok the other had no continuity.

So a $7 replacement coil made that problem go away in 15 min.

MrWolf
10-07-2020, 09:48 AM
I have a roku with a supposed longer range wifi coming today for use in my garage. TV will basically be used for YouTube and other how to videos. Had a smaller spare tv so why not.

Thumbcocker
10-07-2020, 09:59 AM
YouTube and Harbour Freight have worked wonders at the Thumbcocker compound.

higgins
10-07-2020, 05:45 PM
I have found Youtube very helpful, but you need to know your limits. I had a garage door opener fall apart before my eyes when I pulled out the wrong retainer. Fortunately, the guy who put up my new garage door put it back together for me.

wildwilly
10-08-2020, 01:13 AM
Youtube is your friend. It's helped me with repairs on my pickup, freezer, dryer, motorcycles, bicycles, etc. Likely the most useful item on the internet.

abunaitoo
10-08-2020, 04:57 AM
I just got done playing with a washer that didn't work.
Two problems.
First was a clacking noise when draining.
Hair pins in the pump. Easy fix.
Second was no wash cycle.
Tested all the components I could, and all seemed to be good.
Went on utube and found a clip about a burnt out capacitor on the control board.
Sure enough, the same one was burned on this one.
Replaced the capacitor, with one I had salvaged, and now it's working fine.
Cheap, fast fix, if I knew about the capacitor before hand.
Good learning experience.
utube did help this time.
Lots of good tips on utube.
Lots of trash also.
I've been told most washers that look like this, are all the same.
As long as it's computer controlled, the repair is the same.

marlin39a
10-09-2020, 08:21 AM
Ereplacementparts.com is a good start. Enter your model #. You can then troubleshoot, and look up the part for your repair. Some videos there too.

fatnhappy
10-09-2020, 06:49 PM
I like to eat. True story guys.
My 6 qt kitchen aide mixer was experiencing sudden speed variations. A YouTube video gave me the information I needed (previous components have changed). No parts replaced, I just detox’d the wiring harness, cleaned the board and speed control sensor and now I’m fatnhappy.