PDA

View Full Version : Help with RCBS benchtop auto priming tool

LouB
10-05-2020, 10:17 PM
I switch to the tube feed bench priming tool earlier this year. Anybody come up with a way to lift the primer tube out of the tool, MID-USE before it's empty and NOT spill primers all over the bench (like if you want to switch primer size?)?

THX
LouB

M-Tecs
10-05-2020, 10:25 PM
I have mine mounted on an aluminum plate so it's easy to unscrew and turn the complete unit over.

JimB..
10-06-2020, 12:15 AM
LouB, I’ve just gotten better at only putting in as many primers as I plan to use. Worst case I try to move faster than gravity to spill as few as possible. I suppose that you could measure and drill for a small pin so spillage could be limited to about 5 primers, but it hasn’t been enough of an issue for me to make it worth the trouble.

Winger Ed.
10-06-2020, 12:25 AM
Wiggle the clip back in.

Some will still spill, but it'll hold the ones above the clip.

Conditor22
10-06-2020, 02:30 AM
stick a straight pin through the clip hole and remove the tub, flip the tube ovwer and put the clip back in a few cases before your done. You can always feed 1 or 2 by hand.

dale2242
10-06-2020, 07:26 AM
I only put in as many as I KNOW I will need.
It doesn`t take that much time.

jaguarxk120
10-06-2020, 09:26 AM
Dale has it right, just count how many you need.
Then 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5, you remember when you were in grade school, just count.

ioon44
10-06-2020, 09:31 AM
Yes to what Dale has said.

dverna
10-06-2020, 10:09 AM
I have two scenarios.

If making up hunting loads (20 per session) or test loads (normally less than 50) I know how many cases I will prime and count the number of primers needed.

If I am making loads for the .223 for varmint hunting and plinking, I load the tube full and run it empty. I have a lot of brass prepped so running another few dozen rounds is not big deal and the stuff gets used up quickly.

Static line
10-06-2020, 10:50 AM
I usually count out the amount of primers I am going to load with but there were a few occasions where I decided to quit and change over to something else so all I did was run a needle up through the bottom of the tube to push the remaining primers up and out of the way of the pin hole and then worked my pin trough the hole to retain the primers without spilling any. That always worked well for me.

Land Owner
10-06-2020, 11:43 AM
Winger Ed. and Conditor22 have it.

I use a Safety Pin, which come in many sizes. The one I use is ~2X thicker than a straight pin. Its very pointed end goes through the pin hole and holds those primers still up the tube from spilling out.

Tip it up, replace the clip in the pin hole, and reload those primers (3 or 4 maybe) that are still in the auto prime receiver and can be fished out.

No Big Deal. Get 'er Done!

ozonebob
10-06-2020, 12:06 PM
Depends on how much trouble you want to go through. You could unscrew the priming unit from its base and tip it so the primer tube is horizontal. That way the primers won't spill. Seems to be more trouble than just counting out how many primers go into the tube in the first place.

Shawlerbrook
10-06-2020, 12:31 PM
Same here usually load in groups of tens and fill the tube in groups of tens.

foesgth
10-06-2020, 12:55 PM
I just straighten a paper clip and use it to lift the primers back into the tube. The clip will go in around the paper clip. Any thin wire will work.

HP9MM
10-06-2020, 07:47 PM
I use T-nuts and eye bolts to attach the primer base to my bench. Then you can remove the base and turn the it all upside down to remove the tube. Also, I use T-nuts to mount my bullet sizer and a small board which I can pivot over the edge of the bench to mount my Lyman 55 measure on.

LouB
10-07-2020, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the ideas. A few seem adaptable to my situation. I guess I should have said in my original post that I am mostly a pistol shooter, so when I prime, it'll be for minimumof 50, and probably 100's of cases (till I decide I'm tired of doing it for that particular caliber/size primer.

I DO have the unit mounted to a board and "c" clamped to my loading bench. Never considered turning the entire unit upside down.
Thanks again.
LouB

GWS
10-07-2020, 09:50 AM
Guess I feel lucky not having that problem.......I use the APS version.;) strips go in 25 at a time...and daisy chain as needed. The handle also has a spring that holds it up....the additional bonus improvement.

I add this just to let people know about the "other" RCBS bench primer choice if they haven't bought one yet. Using the APS strip loader is as fast as pecking and you can preload a thousand in strips in 30 minutes, and load 25 at a time or a thousand...and you can store them safely ready to load....

https://i.postimg.cc/x8gcy9Th/IMG-2830.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Vs48kSBc/713545.jpg

Land Owner
10-07-2020, 11:14 AM
I have mine mounted to one of the Pat Marlin "Rock Dock" system plates allowing me to turn it over with ease.

Mal Paso
10-07-2020, 11:22 AM
Another APS owner here. A friend loaned me the one (brand new) with the tubes. I had to be careful toward end or it would spit a few primers. I liked the bench mount but not the tubes so I bought the APS version.

David2011
10-15-2020, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the ideas. A few seem adaptable to my situation. I guess I should have said in my original post that I am mostly a pistol shooter, so when I prime, it'll be for minimumof 50, and probably 100's of cases (till I decide I'm tired of doing it for that particular caliber/size primer.

I DO have the unit mounted to a board and "c" clamped to my loading bench. Never considered turning the entire unit upside down.
Thanks again.
LouB

Maybe it’s time for a faster press, if they interest you.

LouB
10-16-2020, 10:50 PM
OK David2011. Clue me in. What will a faster press do for this problem? I don't follow.
THX
LouB