PDA

View Full Version : Checking the accuracy of a digital thermometer with thermocouple

slide
10-05-2020, 07:38 PM
Seems like the digital thermometer and thermocouple is catching on. I have had three people pm me and ask how they can check the accuracy of their setup. The main thing is make sure your batteries are good. If you start getting crazy readings it could be batteries. To check the thermocouple fill a glass with crushed ice and then just enough water to cover it. Swirl it for a little bit and let the water get cold. Insert your probe or thermocouple. It should read around 32F. Most of us know that water boils at around 212F
in most places. Let the water come to a boil and insert your probe or thermocouple. If your batteries are good and you get crazy readings your thermocouple could be bad. Replace it and check again. If you still get crazy reading the thermometer could have gone bad. Keep backups. Very easy to do!

Conditor22
10-05-2020, 09:47 PM
Good advice. Where do you get yours at now (so we don't have to waste time looking) :bigsmyl2:

slide
10-06-2020, 03:15 AM
Amazon is the best place. You can buy themometers with one,two,four thermocouples. You could probably get a set up for around twenty bucks. There are all kinds,so take your pick. I would recommend getting some extra thermocouples. When I started this deal I used a multi meter that was setting on my work bench. Some of them come with a thermocouple and measure high enough to do what we need.

OS OK
10-06-2020, 05:08 AM
You can also check your thermocouples with a DVM on the millivolt scale...

Reference one of the charts here that match your thermocouple...

https://instrumentationtools.com/how-to-calculate-thermocouple-temperature-by-measuring-the-output-millivoltage/