PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Sandwich

gbrown
10-05-2020, 04:54 PM
Sometimes, the simple things in life seem better to me. We always have left-overs in the refrigerator to heat up for lunch or supper, if we don't feel like cooking at night. But sometimes, I'm in a hurry or don't want that for lunch. When I come in and am in a hurry or really hungry, I'll just make a sandwich. I've seen members here talk about a sandwich from time to time, and I was wondering, what's your favorite? I personally don't have a favorite, might be a sub sandwich, a simple one, like meat and cheese or even a peanut butter and jelly--just depends upon my mood. When I want something more complex, its meat, cheese and dressed out with lettuce, tomato, onions and pickles. That's what I had today--Turkey breast, cheese, and all the dressings. Tried to upload a picture, but file was too large, and couldn't find a way to resize it. Oh, well. Strangest sandwich was when I was teaching--was leaving the cafeteria and spoke to one of my students--she answered, and I asked her--"Watcha eating?" She always brought her lunch. She answered, "My favorite sandwich." I said, "What's that?" She showed me--peanut butter, sliced bananas, potato chips, and dill pickles. Having dealt with middle schoolers for a while, I merely said, "That's interesting, that's some different textures and tastes." She again said, "My favorite." Woof! NOT something I would want to try, but, to each their own. I remember Po-boys at the Farmers Market up in Dover, Delaware when we lived up there for a year. Yummy Barbecue Brisket sandwiches at Crosstown barbecue in Elgin, Tx. and a dozen others that I have forgotten. A local eatery makes a Bon-Mon that is a Vietnamese kinda sandwich that is just fantastic. Anyway, as said, what's your favorite?

Froogal
10-05-2020, 05:00 PM
Sometimes you make a sandwich out of stuff that catches your eye when you open the refrigerator door, thus was born the dill pickle and cottage cheese sandwich. Not to imply that is my favorite, but it is quick and easy.

762 shooter
10-05-2020, 05:01 PM
Tomato sandwich. Fresh garden tomato. Dukes mayonnaise.

country gent
10-05-2020, 05:20 PM
For me one of my favorites is a simple one.
Echrich bologna from the deli section slice at 8 or 9. 2 strips of thick cut bacon. In your cast iron pan add a little butter and fry the bologna and bacon to taste I add a little pepper on the bologna. I like the bologna a little darker crispy on each side and the bacon crispy also. when done set on a folded paper towel to drain a few minutes. WHeat bread condiments to taste, and a slice of sharp cheddar cheese. You can also add lettuce tomato pickles.
With the thick number 9 cut bologna this is about a 1/4 lb sandwich. With the thick cut the bologna dosnt bubble up or get hard to fry.
My other is the fried egg sandwich delli ham bacon or a sausage patty and slice of cheese. Here toast makes it even better. I fry the eggs with broken yolks till well done then make the sandwich. My grandsons love these,

redriverhunter
10-05-2020, 05:23 PM
Fried bologna, fried egg, cheese with mayo and musturd.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

redhawk0
10-05-2020, 05:25 PM
Very simple. White bread, American Cheese, a few thick slices of Vidalia Onion, and a thick layer of mayo....that's it. I'm in Hog Heaven.

redhawk

ShooterAZ
10-05-2020, 06:00 PM
Prime Rib Dip, with mushrooms and melted Swiss cheese....Yum.

popper
10-05-2020, 06:17 PM
Good dark pumpernickel rye with peanut butter, apple sauce and chopped almonds on top with some cinnamon.

rockrat
10-05-2020, 06:52 PM
Like a fried bologna sandwich too. Thick on the bologna. Use mongollian fire oil in the skillet to add a little heat and add some ground hot pepper too. Like other bologna sandwiches, but reluctant to tell you what I put on one of them, might ruin your appetite.

Favorite sandwich is a pastrami, turkey and ham sandwich with provolone cheese. On a baguette

Favorite sandwich shop is D'elias, in Riverside, CA, over on University street. Love their roast beef sandwich. Would go by there every time I would go to CA to visit Dad. Usually before I went to the house!!! Dad would always say I went to CA to get a sandwich and just come by and visit since I was already in the area!!!

CastingFool
10-05-2020, 06:55 PM
My go to sandwich is a simple PBJ. Quick and tasty. I have a friend whose favorite is peanut butter and bacon. Gonna have to try that sometime.

Elroy
10-05-2020, 06:56 PM
This is my secret recipe that has been in the family for generations, so keep it under your hats. Take some cheese, and place it between two slices of bread, and then butter the outside of the bread, and place in a hot skillet ,and brown both sides well till the cheese melts, and enjoy. .It's good with all kinds of soups, or just by it's self. We call it a "fried cheese " sandwich. LOL

elmacgyver0
10-05-2020, 06:57 PM
I like Spam sandwiches, 2 pieces wheat bread and a half inch of Spam, raw, just the way it comes from the can.

CastingFool
10-05-2020, 07:28 PM
As a change of pace, I would make what I cal a "TNT" sandwich. All it was tuna, thin sliced tomato and mayo.

jimlj
10-05-2020, 08:08 PM
BLT with fresh from the garden tomato.

GregLaROCHE
10-05-2020, 08:12 PM
Cornered beef and coleslaw with a slice of Swiss on rye bread and don’t forget the Russian dressing.

elmacgyver0
10-05-2020, 08:20 PM
Cornered beef and coleslaw with a slice of Swiss on rye bread and don’t forget the Russian dressing.

"Cornered beef" is that anything like corned beef? Corned beef, Rye bread, Swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing makes a fine Ruben sandwich.
Course I like to substitute pastrami for the corned beef. Don't forget it has to be brushed with melted butter and grilled.

Oh! almost forgot the sauerkraut!

WebMonkey
10-05-2020, 08:28 PM
i make a lot of venison bologna each year.

so my favorite sandwich is venison jalapeno bologna, slice of cheese i made from goat milk (most like mozzarella), home canned dill pickles, onion slices (never got the hang of growing/preserving those) and a little home made mayo.

sometimes fried up, most times straight from the fridge.

most times on leftover home made yeast rolls.

;)

Minerat
10-05-2020, 08:43 PM
A Schlotzsky’s original.

nueces5
10-05-2020, 08:49 PM
Here in Argentina, the classic is called "lomito" is tenderloin meat. It is made on French bread, with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. It can be added, if one is not a stickler for tenderloin, cheese, ham and fried egg. although I prefer it with cheese and tomato.
If the meat is good and cooked properly, there should be a little red juice left on the plate and it doesn't take much effort to cut the meat with your teeth.

I can eat "lomito" every day, all the rest of my life.

metricmonkeywrench
10-05-2020, 08:56 PM
The go-to is of course the classic PBJ. When mamas not looking I “accidentally” get the chunky PB by mistake to put in the cart.

To be on the odd side a nice peanut butter and sweet onion sandwich hits the spot when the materials are available.

But the top of the chart is the classic BLT on Rye...

SciFiJim
10-05-2020, 09:26 PM

My favorite as well. It is an infrequent thing, but oh so good. Getting the tomatoes when they are the perfect degree of ripeness is key.

jdfoxinc
10-05-2020, 09:31 PM
Snarf's Italian on whole wheat roll with added bacon. Some shops called pot belly.

gbrown
10-05-2020, 10:17 PM
Oh, yeah, just remembered, thanks to a couple of posts, the Reubens sandwich! One of my all time favorites.

Pinger87
10-06-2020, 02:24 AM
I love a great Italian hoagie with cherry pepper relish. Almost like a Jersey Mike's sub...

Lloyd Smale
10-06-2020, 05:23 AM
take a chunk of meat off a deer thats clean. Doesnt matter much which cut you use because your going to cut it so thin any will be tender. I like to have the meat still half froze when i cut it and i cut it with a break off blade box cutter as thin as possible. Cut up about a pound and a half of venison sprinkle on some garlic powder and montreal steak seasoning. Let it sit a couple hours. Then cut up a large onion and fry the meat and onion together in a pan with real butter. You want to cook the venison until it has some slight crispy spots or fry marks or whatever you want to call it because it adds flavor. If you want peppers you can add them too but i think they overpower the taste of the sandwich so i dont use them. When its just about done. The meat has some crispy edges and the onions are cooked add a can of mushrooms and stir them in and cook a few more minutes on high. Then take a loaf of french bread cut it lengthwise like a sub. i then put a laver of pepperoni on each side. Just lay them side by side till the bread is covered and put cheddar cheese on one side and mozzeralla on the other over the pepperoni and put it in the microwave till the cheese is just starting to melt. Take it out and ladle the meat mixture on it and im here to tell you you wont find a better sub anywhere on the planet. Ive tried it with beef steak and its just not the same. Vension just gives it more flavor. Its one of my favorite ways to eat venison plus the added advantage is like i said you dont have to use your choice back straps to make it. When i was a member of a local gun club we had a wild game feed/wild game recipe competition two years in a row and that sandwich won first place both years. Its simple to make and even your kids will lick it up.

smithnframe
10-06-2020, 06:45 AM
A Philly cheesesteak!

Shawlerbrook
10-06-2020, 06:50 AM
Hard to pick a favorite, but because I have this not to often, probably a Reuben.

gwpercle
10-06-2020, 12:10 PM
Hard to pick a favorite, but because I have this not to often, probably a Reuben.

Yes ... A Good Reuben is a treat ! But ...

The other day I spotted in the deli meat case a big roll of all beef Bologna and it brought back memories of fishing with my Dad . We would stop and buy bait , bottles of root beer , a loaf of fresh bread and thick slices or Bologna that the market man sliced and wrapped in butcher paper.
Come lunch time, sitting in that boat , that Bologna on white bread tasted better than a T-Bone steak ...
So I bought a 1/2 lb. of sliced Bologna and fresh Wonder Bread and it was so good ... I had forgotten how good a simple old fashioned Boloney Sandwich could taste ...
brought back memories of fishing with my Dad too .
I got to do this again ... it was so Nice !
Gary

Shawlerbrook
10-06-2020, 12:29 PM
Yes, bologna on Wonderbread with yellow French’s mustard. Reminds me of lunch when my cousin and I were kids working at my Uncle’s garage.

MaryB
10-06-2020, 12:44 PM
Butter some sourdough on one side and place butter side down in a pan, top each side with swiss then on just one side add reheated shredded leftover roast beef(if it has a little gravy all the better!), tomato slices, thousand island dressing then cook until bread is browned and cheese melted, flip cheese only side on top of the rest. If you have a sandwich press you can completely assemble this and cook it in there. Serve wit a knife and fork because this is messy! Sauerkraut is an option I usually add..

country gent
10-06-2020, 01:23 PM
We would go to the one farm auction on Saturdays with Dad. He would buy a beef stick from one of the venders and a chunk of baby swiss cheese from another. We woud stand and watch the auction and he would occasionally bid on something. But we all stood there watching and cutting slices of beef stick and cheese with our pocket knives while we watched.
To this day I cant go to that auction yard with out first stop being those to vendors. More work for me though since my daughter thinks 7 and 5 year olds are to young for a pocket knife. LOL I get to cut all the slices for me and the grand sons. I dont get near as many now those 3 boys can really put them down fast.

cwlongshot
10-06-2020, 01:29 PM
Ooh some good ones and to pick one would be most difficult...

But a Fresh garden tomato on white with mayo is tops on that list.

A Fried Spam with buttered toast and mayo is right there as well.

But, then there is a meat markey in Essex CT, Cliffs Market, that sells "roast beef" samiches daily. They always sell out. The bake on a rotisserie every AM. Pull them by 11:30 ish and start slicing and selling till gone. They smoke meats and cheeses too. They have there own smoked horse raddish Cheddar on that warm meat with Horseraddish Mayo on fresh daily NY Hard rolls.

Yup Thats my pic!! I get down there at least 7/8 times a year and its my Favorite of all time.

CW

adcoch1
10-06-2020, 01:33 PM
Sourdough bread toasted with deli turkey fried in cast iron with onion and a few medallions of jalapeno. Put that on the toast with quality American or provolone cheese and fresh sliced tomatoes. Mustard and a touch of mayo, it's pretty hard to beat.

Thundarstick
10-06-2020, 02:07 PM
A Don Sol's torta! Yum yum yum!

slim1836
10-06-2020, 02:12 PM
It's hard to beat a grilled cheese sandwich, but I have simple tastes.

Slim

Misery-Whip
10-06-2020, 03:58 PM
This is my secret recipe that has been in the family for generations, so keep it under your hats. Take some cheese, and place it between two slices of bread, and then butter the outside of the bread, and place in a hot skillet ,and brown both sides well till the cheese melts, and enjoy. .It's good with all kinds of soups, or just by it's self. We call it a "fried cheese " sandwich. LOL

This is good, try it with tuna!

bikerbeans
10-07-2020, 07:43 AM

This one!

BB

Elroy
10-07-2020, 05:40 PM

You must think I'm made out of money ! I can barely afford the cheese ,and butter. LOL ,But seriously I will have to give it a try with tuna fish. I would probably really like it, because I always liked the cheesy Tuna Helper.

MT Gianni
10-07-2020, 08:10 PM
I ate a few Lomito's in Argentina and had a few friends that would argue with a Chorizo sandwich being on top too.
For me it is a venison loin near frozen sliced as thin as possible, cooked in butter nearly smoking for 60 seconds. Put it on a good wheat bread with onion and watercress and you're eating good. I have also enjoyed canned mustard sardines with lettuce so what do I know. I have to have good cheese or leave it off. I like Munster, Swiss and a little strong cheddar is OK but leaved the processed stuff far away.

mtnman31
10-07-2020, 08:36 PM
It's hard to beat a grilled cheese sandwich, but I have simple tastes.

Slim

Yes, sir. Grilled cheese is my favorite. Usually use a slice colby jack and a slice of cheap American cheese (the kind that gets runny when it melts). Grilled on sourdough with a slice of ham. Tomato soup is optional. Trick to perfectly grilled bread is to butter it with whatever you use (real butter, fake butter, margarine, etc) and also put a little mayo on there. That combo makes it crispy/crunchy but not dried out.

Lance Boyle
10-07-2020, 09:12 PM
BLT for sure!

Obscure immigrant sandwich? Proscuitto, fresh garden tomato, fresh basil, mozzerella on a crusty torpedo roll or french bread with a schmear of herbed marscapone cheese and dressed with a drizzled balsamic vinegar reductionand some olive oil.

omg

Wheelguns 1961
10-07-2020, 09:33 PM
All of this makes me hungry! While I love a good reuben and a cheese and tomato sandwich, I think my favorite is a carolina bbq on a kaiser roll with cole slaw on top. Carolina bbq, the vinegar kind.

Minerat
10-07-2020, 11:14 PM

Add bacon sometime. Just wow gives a Schlotskys a run for the money.

oldscool
10-08-2020, 01:29 AM
1980 or 81 Kenmare ND - beef fillet cooked rare in a broaster and served as sandwich with lettuce and tomato. Friendliest people I have ever come across in that little town.

Carp sandwich from Joe Tess in Omaha NE. Also Rudy's carp were exceptional, don't know if they are still going though.

Lloyd Smale
10-08-2020, 06:35 AM

i like a tuna melt but better yet when you use canned salmon.

Lloyd Smale
10-08-2020, 06:36 AM
All of this makes me hungry! While I love a good reuben and a cheese and tomato sandwich, I think my favorite is a carolina bbq on a kaiser roll with cole slaw on top. Carolina bbq, the vinegar kind.

pulled pork with cole slaw is one of my favorites for sure. Wont eat cole slaw any other way but a pulled pork isnt a pulled pork without it.

dale2242
10-08-2020, 07:17 AM
Leftover chinook salmon crumbled and mixed with mayo.
Mighty tasty.
I need to try it grilled.

Ole Joe Clarke
10-08-2020, 07:57 AM
Tomato sandwich. Fresh garden tomato. Dukes mayonnaise.

What he said, still picking tomatoes, had a tomato sandwich yesterday, with a little salt and pepper on some nice brown wheat bread.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

gwpercle
10-08-2020, 02:50 PM
BLT... Yes , I had forgotten how wonderful the home grown , vine ripened BLT is ... with lots of Blue Plate Mayo on white Wonder bread ... I planted early but my tomatoes were done in by the high heat and humidity by July ... so those seemed like such a long time ago .
Gary

Lloyd Smale
10-09-2020, 06:57 AM
Leftover chinook salmon crumbled and mixed with mayo.
Mighty tasty.
I need to try it grilled.

i pretty much fry all my fish and one of my favorite things for breakfast is left over fried fish cold right out of the fridge. A little sprinkle of salt and id take that over an omelet

nueces5
10-09-2020, 10:01 AM
I ate a few Lomito's in Argentina and had a few friends that would argue with a Chorizo sandwich being on top too.
For me it is a venison loin near frozen sliced as thin as possible, cooked in butter nearly smoking for 60 seconds. Put it on a good wheat bread with onion and watercress and you're eating good. I have also enjoyed canned mustard sardines with lettuce so what do I know. I have to have good cheese or leave it off. I like Munster, Swiss and a little strong cheddar is OK but leaved the processed stuff far away.

Yes sir, here is a matter of taste! I prefer the tenderloin to the chorizo.
The good thing about trying other sandwiches is that you can always be surprised! Too bad the venison loin is not so easy here!
There was a sandwich chain that there's no way I remember the name. I ate here in Argentina in the late 90's. But their sandwiches had the names of the neighborhoods of Manhattan, Soho, Greenwich I think it was another, and so on.
They made their own breads, and it was very good!
I have never seen it again.

mattw
10-09-2020, 10:26 AM
Fried bologna, fried egg, hot pepper cheese and yellow mustard. Fresh bologna, giant slice of onion, hot pepper cheese, tomato and yellow mustard.

My favorite purchased one is the Jimmy Johns #5 (Vito) with extra vinegar and oil, oregano and hot peppers.

4rdwhln
10-09-2020, 02:19 PM
My all time purchased favorite is the firehouse Italian It rocks,The Vito from Jimmy Johns is good also.For home made, Hands down the best is toasted Peanut butter and bacon. With enough peanut butter and butter that it runs out the bottom to be sopped up for the next bite.

RugerFan
10-09-2020, 02:27 PM
Smoked moose tenderloin with cheddar cheese and spicy mayo. Just delicious! Will have to substitute the moose now that we are back in GA though. We'll make do lol.

warren5421
10-22-2020, 01:25 PM
To buy, we have a jewish place here in Indianapolis that has the best Rubin. My big like is 1/4" thick bologna and cheese, on thick white or rye bread covered with real butter toasted till the cheese melts.

umwminer
10-22-2020, 03:15 PM
Canned venison sammich !
Years ago , we didnt have electricity at our rural mountain home which also means we did not have use of a freezer (we did have propane refrigeration with little bitty freezer compartments ). So , a large portion of our game meat was put up in canning jars. In later years when we got full time power and a deep freeze we still liked to can a good bit of our meat as it is so versatile . Rutty old bull elk , muley buck , or whitetail doe , once pressure canned for 90 min at 15 lbs you cant tell one from the other .
Anyways , our favorite sandwich spread is a jar of canned meat , juice poured off , Add mayo , raw sweet onion diced up , sweet pickle relish and some diced raw celery if avail , mash it all up with a fork and spread it on your favorite bread , roll or bun . Hell ,
I just made myself hungry. Down to the cellar for a jar..........

Tripplebeards
10-22-2020, 07:04 PM
Peanut butter...I’m easy.

MT Gianni
10-23-2020, 12:05 PM
Canned venison sammich !
Years ago , we didnt have electricity at our rural mountain home which also means we did not have use of a freezer (we did have propane refrigeration with little bitty freezer compartments ). So , a large portion of our game meat was put up in canning jars. In later years when we got full time power and a deep freeze we still liked to can a good bit of our meat as it is so versatile . Rutty old bull elk , muley buck , or whitetail doe , once pressure canned for 90 min at 15 lbs you cant tell one from the other .
Anyways , our favorite sandwich spread is a jar of canned meat , juice poured off , Add mayo , raw sweet onion diced up , sweet pickle relish and some diced raw celery if avail , mash it all up with a fork and spread it on your favorite bread , roll or bun . Hell ,
I just made myself hungry. Down to the cellar for a jar..........

I totally agree. We put up more than a few pints of venison, preferring it to ground. Also can some of Georgetown's kokannee. Even the early spawners get so you don't even need bread just a fork.

abunaitoo
10-23-2020, 02:36 PM
Many, many years ago, there used to be something called Chip Steak.
Frozen thin sliced steak, with some kind of paper you use to cook it on a skillet.
Haven't seen it around for years.
I've tried different ones I've found, but they're not the same.
Steak um's is junk.
Bread, mayonaise, slice of American cheese, a little pepper.
Sometimes a fried egg on top.
Best sandwich I've ever had.

loveruger
10-24-2020, 10:16 PM
two rye bread 1/4 inch sliced onions lots of salt and pepper. My grandpa made me one when I was 6. 71 now and still love them

Walks
10-24-2020, 11:04 PM
Thanksgiving Turkey Sandwich.
Friday Lunch.

Carefully sliced by hand from the Breast meat after it's been in the fridge over night. Piled thick on fresh Roman Meal wheat bread, smeared with Best Foods Mayo. Crisp iceberg lettuce, big Beautiful slices of ripe tomato.

Oh, darn it Webers went belly up. Guess it'll have to be Home Pride.

The other 363 days a year;

Wonder White;
Jif smooth Peanut Butter, thick, real thick.
Knotts Boysenberry PRESERVES, thick.
Sliced on the Bias.
An Ice Cold Glass of Whole Milk to wash it down.
A bit of Heaven and remembrances of my youth.

Texas by God
10-24-2020, 11:34 PM
French bread toasted with real butter and garlic salt, thick bacon, home grown tomato slices, fried egg, sliced avacado and jalapeño slivers with just a touch of olive oil mayo. Close behind comes fried baloney, cheese and mustard and the protein special- peanut butter and bacon!

samari46
10-24-2020, 11:43 PM
Chopped spam with eggs made into an omlette and served on Italian hero bread.
Johnsonville Italian sausage fried up in whole links then split down the middle again on Italian bread.
PBJ with a very thick layer of PB and strawberry preserves on Italian bread.
And since we have a Rouses here,Dietz & Watson hot dogs or weiners drenched in Bush's baked maple flavored baked beans and you guessed it Italian bread.
Being a type 2 diabetic so cannot eat all of the above all the time, but it's a treat when I do. Frank

Tracy
10-25-2020, 12:12 AM
Pulled pork BBQ.

Also something that has not even been mentioned, probably because they are ubiquitous and most people don't call them sandwiches: a hamburger. Good quality ground chuck, charred on the outside and slightly pink in the middle, with mustard and onions on the bottom and black pepper, hot sauce, ketchup and pickles on top. Maybe also a slice of sharp cheddar.

For something more spur of the moment than those two, I like fried bologna. Preferably a thick slice of chub bologna. Sometimes on toast with mustard and onions; other times untoasted and with lots of mayo. And perhaps a slice of sharp cheddar.
Recently I tried fried bologna on toast with mustard and sauerkraut. That was really good too.

bullseye67
10-25-2020, 12:50 AM
Good evening,

My favourite hot sandwich has already been mentioned....
Thick slice fried bologna, Velveta cheese, fried medium-hard egg, mayo and mustard....so yummy!
My cold favourite is mashed Spam with mayo and green relish. We called them funeral sandwiches because every funeral they had piles of them. I make them now just for myself....as a special treat.

MaryB
10-25-2020, 02:53 PM
Fried summer sausage on buttered cheap white bread, a deer camp favorite for a quick lunch. Hot to warm you up and frying the deer sausage changes the flavor/add complexity to the spices used in it.

skeettx
10-25-2020, 03:00 PM
Meatloaf sandwich with onions and mustard, YUM!!

Walks
10-25-2020, 08:58 PM
WHAT !!!???

No one likes sprouts on their sandwich ? No bean curd spread ??

Where are all the healthy eating Bullet Casters ?

Blkpwdrbuff
10-25-2020, 09:16 PM
Grove's Deli in Salt Lake City. Their Big John is the best sandwich I have ever had.
If I knew how to post a picture I would have included it.

Tracy
10-25-2020, 09:47 PM
I also like a hot Kitchen Sink from Stanleo's.

Mal Paso
10-25-2020, 10:02 PM
If Tortillas count:

Safeway Select Chili Verde simmer sauce for killer instant Chili Verde.

Break up and brown a 20 oz package of Costco Carnitas (pork) in a large fry pan, dump in the sauce and simmer while stirring 5 minutes. Wrap in warm corn tortillas and eat.

Got pulled pork too for variety. LOL

fatnhappy
10-25-2020, 10:11 PM
BLT or a Rüben

I can be swayed either way.

Eddie Southgate
10-25-2020, 10:21 PM
BLT or Meatloaf on white with thin sliced onion and Helmonds Mayo . Lacking meatloaf just substitute roast beef cooked with carrots , taters and onion on white with the onion and Helmonds . Dipped in the gravy made from the roast grease of course .

Eddie Southgate
10-25-2020, 10:23 PM
WHAT !!!???

No one likes sprouts on their sandwich ? No bean curd spread ??

Where are all the healthy eating Bullet Casters ?

All died of stomach disorders .

Pinger87
11-03-2020, 12:16 AM
BLT or Meatloaf on white with thin sliced onion and Helmonds Mayo . Lacking meatloaf just substitute roast beef cooked with carrots , taters and onion on white with the onion and Helmonds . Dipped in the gravy made from the roast grease of course .

Man... I need to make meatloaf just for sandwiches now. I like grilled cheese meatloaf sandwiches... It's just a grilled cheese stuffed with it. Give it a shot next time if you're feeling froggy

Old School Big Bore
11-03-2020, 01:44 AM
I have several favorites from a schmancy two-cheese griller or open-face cheese-toast to the classic PB & banana or PBJ to the turkey BLT or club, turkey & ham, chicken/tuna/egg salad, or pimento cheese, to the beloved fried spam and egg, or a well-constructed Reuben or other corned beef. I consider the cheeseburger or brisket or pulled pork or po'boy to be of a different genre than just 'sandwich', as I do a shawarma or gyro. One of my favorite mini-sandwiches is the Bohunk HorsD'oerve that is saltines or Ritz with cold summer sausage and rat cheese. My Dad and I would always take that along when we went on a field job when I worked in his Industrial Engine Service. That always went well sitting on the edge of a drilling rig substructure or under the shade of a gas compressor station's roof. I have a big beef stick and moon of cheese in the cold cut drawer right now!
But my favorite 'sandwich' that I'll spend parts of two days to produce is a big honkin thick slice of cold, veggie-loaded meatloaf with thickened catsup or tomato sauce, horseradish sauce and pickles on a good dense whole grain bread that can stand up to the weight of the innards. In fact that's my favorite range lunch, with a nice tasty soda and good crackly chips. My meatloaf has minced carrot, onion, garlic, celery, tomato, mushroom etc mixed all through it and cooked to a nice soft doneness that just goes well with the meat, usually two or three different ground meats blended together with the eggs and oats or breadcrumbs and worcestershire.
Great, now I'm hungry. Guess I'll go make a grilled Havarti and Swiss...Ed <><

abunaitoo
11-03-2020, 02:17 AM
Other favorites.........
BLT
Grilled cheese
Spam cooked on the grill, with American cheese, mayo, on white bread.
Can't eat ham anymore, gout, but canned ham, easy over egg, celery salt and pepper, American cheese, mayo, on a big round croissant.
costco used to have round croissant.
Great for sandwiches.
They don't make them round anymore.
One more reason to not go there.

wch
11-03-2020, 03:25 AM
A Reuben made here in my kitchen, with lots of corned beef, kraut, and dressing, on homemade seeded rye bread.

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2020, 06:19 AM
Fried summer sausage on buttered cheap white bread, a deer camp favorite for a quick lunch. Hot to warm you up and frying the deer sausage changes the flavor/add complexity to the spices used in it.

i like fried summer sausage with eggs. A fried summer sausage egg and cheese sandwich is great. Make mine on an english muffin toasted though thank you. Frying it as mary said does change the taste. Im sure it varies because summer sausage can be made so many different ways but mine tastes like a spicy smoked ham when fried. My wife isnt crazy about summer sausage but loves it fried.

Tatume
11-03-2020, 08:07 AM
Pork sausage and eggs on fried bread.

No_1
11-03-2020, 09:01 AM
I love a good sandwich! I have no particular best (maybe all of them!) as long as it’s made with fresh products then almost any meat on good bread with some type of cheese, lettuce, tomato, Mayo / mustard as appropriate with salt and pepper. Finish it off with a pickle, a couple of chips then chase it down with either a ice cold glass of milk or Diet Coke and I’m happy.

gwpercle
11-03-2020, 02:10 PM
I discovered a new favorite sandwich !

In local meat market known for prepping good things for the grill and discovered a nice Pork Loin , stuffed with a large link of their Boudin and Seasoned and double wrapped in Bacon ..Looked Good !

We brought it home and slow smoked it . It was great fresh off the smoker ... But , the next day I took a sharp knife and sliced the Smoked Bacon - Pork Loin- Boudin into thin slices and them piled high on a Wonder Bread Hamburger Bun with a smear of mayo ... topped meat on the bun with smoked Gouda Cheese , placed sandwich on hot flatiron grill to toast both sides and warm the cheese .

Holey Moley ... that was one of the best tasting sandwiches I ever ate ... Think of it ... Crispy Smokey Bacon , smoke flavored Pork Loin, smokey Boudin and Gouda Cheese all combined to hit a flavor home run out de park ...We will be doing this one again ... and again ... and again !!!
Gary

gbrown
11-03-2020, 06:29 PM
WOW! Talk about some flavors.

DougGuy
11-03-2020, 07:20 PM
This week I made a Grobel's Corned Beef. I use the packet that comes with it, and I add 1/3 jar of McCormick Pickling Spice to the water.

When it gets fork tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, I take it out and plop it in a baking dish where I slather it with a glaze I made from brown sugar, whatever kinds of mustard I can quickly lay my hands on in the fridge, and some Korean hot sauce. The hot sauce is made with fermented soy paste and fermented chili paste, it has a distinct flavor that marries well with the extra pickling spice used in the corned beef.

This is all leading up to the sandwich part I swear! :bigsmyl2:

So you serve the corned beef with boiled taters or whatever you like, and the 2nd day you slice it thin and warm it up on a cast iron griddle. On another cast iron griddle you toast some buttered Jewish rye/pumpernickel swirl bread, you cover one of them with whavever kind of stinky cheese you like, cover this with some heated up sauerkraut to melt the cheese, pile the corned beef on the other piece of bread, and cover with home made Russian dressing (google russian dressing, use the bon appetit recipe its great). Put the sandwich together and dig in.

This is a hot gooey messy sandwich that will securely claim it's place in your house every time you have corned beef leftovers, this sandwich will FORCE you to re-create it, it is irresistibly good!

gwpercle
11-03-2020, 07:31 PM
I must agree with DG ... a good messy Corned Beef is mighty hard to beat !

I'm hitting our Like Button ... LIKE LIKE LIKE ...three times !
Gary

Shiloh
11-03-2020, 10:01 PM
Grilled ham and either Swiss or Provolone.

Shiloh

swheeler
11-03-2020, 10:58 PM
Ruben made with pastrami on dark rye, good layer of horsy, and a cold beer, yum!

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2020, 07:22 AM
does a hamburger count? Make mine venision burger fried in bacon grease the put on rye swirl bread and toasted with real butter. Some fried onion and the bacon you got the grease from and some swiss cheese. Best burger ever! No ketsup mustard or veggies to cover taste.

RU shooter
11-04-2020, 01:50 PM
Ruben made with pastrami on dark rye, good layer of horsy, and a cold beer, yum!
Yep a good Ruben is one of my favorites . But my number one was a sandwich a little deli made when I first started working at the mill , was fried salami with provalone on lightly toasted Syrian bread . The owners were an older Syrian couple . Man oh man can still taste it along with a big milkshake at lunch break

gwpercle
11-04-2020, 03:28 PM
New Orleans Louisiana , Parkway Bakery and Tavern , 538 Hagan Ave ( Katrina destroyed their Parkway Blvd building so they rebuilt on Hagan Ave) , slow cooked Roast Beef Debris with extra gravy on freshly baked Leidenheimer French po-boy bread dressed with Blue Plate Mayo .

If you ever go there ...the Roast Beef Debris is one of the best things you will ever put in your mouth ...trust me . I've driven to New Orleans just to eat one ... honestly , they are that good !
Gary

Lloyd Smale
11-05-2020, 05:08 AM
New Orleans Louisiana , Parkway Bakery and Tavern , 538 Hagan Ave ( Katrina destroyed their Parkway Blvd building so they rebuilt on Hagan Ave) , slow cooked Roast Beef Debris with extra gravy on freshly baked Leidenheimer French po-boy bread dressed with Blue Plate Mayo .

If you ever go there ...the Roast Beef Debris is one of the best things you will ever put in your mouth ...trust me . I've driven to New Orleans just to eat one ... honestly , they are that good !
Gary

any idea how its made? No good unless you can make one. Im pretty far from New Orleans.

wch
11-05-2020, 09:22 AM
I grew up eating the occasional po boy and this recipe is as close as I have come to having a rost beef with debris version.
(I must admit that I like the shrimp po boy the best of all of them!)
See the recipe at <blueplatemayo.com/recipes/new-orleans-style-debris-poboy/>

farmbif
11-05-2020, 11:14 AM
a monte Cristo done properly

Lloyd Smale
11-05-2020, 01:47 PM
I grew up eating the occasional po boy and this recipe is as close as I have come to having a rost beef with debris version.
(I must admit that I like the shrimp po boy the best of all of them!)
See the recipe at <blueplatemayo.com/recipes/new-orleans-style-debris-poboy/>

betcha that is good!

robg
11-05-2020, 02:04 PM
a Bacon or a good sausage one with English mustard

snowwolfe
11-06-2020, 12:17 AM
When I was tent hunting in Alaska would carry in a couple of tubes of ready made biscuits. In the morning before heading out to hunt would cook the biscuits in a skillet over low heat. Turning them often was the key. Once they were done would split them in half and insert about a 1 inch thick piece of fried summer sausage and a nice smear of Cheese Wiz. Most of the time we ate these while still in our sleeping bags as the small wood stove warmed up the tent.
Mmmm mmmmm good.

facetious
11-06-2020, 02:02 PM
The best sandwich's have to be the ones my mom would make me for lunch. Thy always tasted the best.

Bulldogger
11-06-2020, 02:37 PM

Gary

My favorite debris and N.O. simple cooking place is Mother's on 401 Poydras St, New Orleans

BDGR

Bulldogger
11-06-2020, 02:39 PM
any idea how its made? No good unless you can make one. Im pretty far from New Orleans.

Debris is the juice and chunks of roast and charred bits that fall off the huge beef roasts they always have going in their ovens. They keep a hug pan below each roast and it fills up with basting liquid and chunks of tender stuff that fall off the roast. It probably started as them spooning some juice (jus, of you want) onto things and somebody wanted some of the charred and chunky bits. Debris was the name they gave it.

At Mother's on Poydras Ave, you can get debris on anything, in a sandwich, or even a small bowl of it on the side. Heavenly stuff. Not healthy, but heavenly.

BDGR

Elroy
11-06-2020, 04:38 PM
The best sandwich's have to be the ones my mom would make me for lunch. Thy always tasted the best.

When we were kids Mother would often fix one of them family size trays of salsbury steak,and a pan of mashed potatoes,and make sandwiches from the meat,cut them diagonally, place a scoop of potatoes between the two halfs of the sandwich,and put gravy over the sandwich,and taters. I always liked it,and to this day if I eat a tv dinner of either salsbury steak,or meat loaf I always eat it the same way.

gbrown
11-06-2020, 07:44 PM
One of the "old" sandwiches I remember was the "open face" beef or turkey they sold at the lunch counter at Neisner's or the old Rexall drugstores. Gotta go back a few decades for those, huh? Really quick and good, as I remember. Funny how this subject kinda jogs our memories and causes us to remember good times and tastes.

gbrown
11-06-2020, 07:45 PM
BTW, I still love open face sandwiches.

gwpercle
11-06-2020, 07:58 PM
One of the main components to a good O F sandwich , if I recall correctly , was a lot of good gravy covering the meat !
And I'm a big gravy fan ... am I remembering correctly ... I seem to remember a Turkey O F with bread , slices of roast turkey , cornbread dressing and turkey gravy over all ....
Gary

gbrown
11-06-2020, 08:25 PM
Yep, ya got it. Usually, some green beans on the side. Get a soda, ice tea, malt, etc. from the soda fountain to go with it. Less than a dollar for all of it.

green mountain boy
11-06-2020, 08:41 PM
med rare deer steak sliced thin on sourdough with real mayo and lots of black pepper....=heaven !!!

tinsnips
11-06-2020, 09:48 PM
Ruben or patty melt.

gwpercle
11-10-2020, 03:03 PM
It's lunch time ... reading all this has made me hungry ...no hot Open Face but there is some Bryan Deli sliced all beef Bologna , white Wonder Bread and Blue Plate Mayo in the kitchen ... that will do until I can get one of those hot Open Faced bad boys ...
bologna is calling my name !
Gary

Pinger87
12-09-2020, 01:42 PM
It's lunch time ... reading all this has made me hungry ...no hot Open Face but there is some Bryan Deli sliced all beef Bologna , white Wonder Bread and Blue Plate Mayo in the kitchen ... that will do until I can get one of those hot Open Faced bad boys ...
bologna is calling my name !
Gary

This is a real man's sanny. While I do like em fried, I still prefer them cold. Mayo and bologna on white bread. No fuss, no muss.

gwpercle
12-09-2020, 05:38 PM
... Muffoletta ...
Back in the day my wife and I would order a Whole Muffoletta Sandwich from Anthony's Italian Deli , sit down and I would eat half and she would eat half ... Italian heaven !
We still order them from Anthony's , it's still a wonderful sandwich but we each eat 1/4 of it and put the other 1/2 in the frig. for the next day ... unless my son finds it ...then it's gone !

Anyone out there know what a Muffoletta is ?

Gary

wch
12-09-2020, 05:48 PM
... Muffoletta ...
Back in the day my wife and I would order a Whole Muffoletta Sandwich from Anthony's Italian Deli , sit down and I would eat half and she would eat half ... Italian heaven !
We still order them from Anthony's , it's still a wonderful sandwich but we each eat 1/4 of it and put the other 1/2 in the frig. for the next day ... unless my son finds it ...then it's gone !

Anyone out there know what a Muffoletta is ?

Gary
I've eaten many a muffoletta and many a bowl of gumbo, boiled crawfish (and yes, I suck the heads!), speckled trout almondine, raw "ersters" down on the Irish Channel and of course, bread pudding for dessert!

gwpercle
12-11-2020, 03:47 PM
I've eaten many a muffoletta and many a bowl of gumbo, boiled crawfish (and yes, I suck the heads!), speckled trout almondine, raw "ersters" down on the Irish Channel and of course, bread pudding for dessert!

ATTABOY !
Suckin Heads ... eating raw "ersters" ... the Irish Channel ....you might just be Y'at ?
Gary

wch
12-11-2020, 04:18 PM
ATTABOY !
Suckin Heads ... eating raw "ersters" ... the Irish Channel ....you might just be Y'at ?
Gary

Yep- Y'at, y'all!

gwpercle
12-11-2020, 09:00 PM
Yep- Y'at, y'all!
Coonass ! Originally from South of White Castle / German Coast area .
Married a sweet little New Orleans girl but she didn't want to live in N.O., too much family there , so we settled in Baton Rouge , close but not too close .

Where Y'at Man !

Gary

wch
12-11-2020, 10:34 PM
Coonass ! Originally from South of White Castle / German Coast area .
Married a sweet little New Orleans girl but she didn't want to live in N.O., too much family there , so we settled in Baton Rouge , close but not too close .

Where Y'at Man !

Gary
Central PA, Lafitte LA, NOLA

facetious
12-12-2020, 01:51 PM
"Funny how this subject kinda jogs our memories and causes us to remember good times and tastes."

Ya, when I was a kid I always liked going with my dad and stopping for a Maderight sandwich . I still like making them at home but I fry it up the hamburger in a pan with the onion and have it on a soft bread with butter and mustard . He used to say it was the smell of the fried onions that made them taste good.

gbrown
12-12-2020, 02:32 PM
Funny thing, best place to get a burger or Philly cheese sandwich was the Little League baseball concession stand near me. I was over there quite a bit, cheering or coaching my middle grandson and his teams. Lady that ran the concession was an old friend of my oldest daughter, and my wife and I volunteered there to help. They would make them to order, grilled onions, grilled jalapeños, whatever they had and how you wanted it. Philly cheese steak the same thing. Good times. Good eats.

gwpercle
12-14-2020, 06:32 PM
"Funny how this subject kinda jogs our memories and causes us to remember good times and tastes."

Ya, when I was a kid I always liked going with my dad and stopping for a Maderight sandwich . I still like making them at home but I fry it up the hamburger in a pan with the onion and have it on a soft bread with butter and mustard . He used to say it was the smell of the fried onions that made them taste good.

I don't remember the Made-Rite sandwiches growing up ... I guess we didn't have one but my New Orleans wife would talk about a Loose Meat Sandwich ... which seems to be what the Made-Rite is/was ... are they still in existence ?
I can make a pretty good one ... we had them for dinner two nights in a row last week !
That's some Good Stuff !
Gary

pworley1
12-14-2020, 06:45 PM
What ever sandwich I am eating at the time.

gbrown
12-14-2020, 07:23 PM
Copy the entire site, paste it on your browser. Still around. Maid-Rite.
FYI--https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dayton.com/news/local/this-the-perfect-weekend-take-side-trip-hidden-gem-sandwich-shop-darke-county/nBgD53jLOzez8mQDvRu00L/&ved=2ahUKEwih1Oefzc7tAhVLR60KHTvoCPMQFjAQegQIDBAB&usg=AOvVaw02eEx5PIx31S7d-ueu2VDi&cshid=1607987974135

Deakota57
12-14-2020, 11:32 PM
After Thanksgiving the leftover of that Turkey gets put in the fridge. I like taking the cold Turkey put it on Wonder Bread spread some Mayo on it and there I make 2 to 3 of these sandwiches for my backpack to take up to the tree stand for my deer hunt. Love a cold Turkey Sandwich. I ate these after Thanksgiving as long as I remember..

imashooter2
12-15-2020, 02:15 AM
Peanut butter, bacon and green olives on white toast. I know you’re thinking I should be damned for eternity doing such things to good bacon. But the combination is wonderful.

MaryB
12-15-2020, 05:25 PM
My mom's version of the maid rite sandwich... this is the same recipe Dari King in a town near me serves. It has been on their menu for over 60 years!

2 pounds 90% lean ground beef(if you use fattier drain off the fat)
1 large onion chopped fine
1 can of condensed tomato soup
1/2 soup can of Heinz Ketchup(if you sub this is changes the flavor profile a LOT)
Ground black pepper to taste
Salt to taste(I generally skip adding any, soup adds plenty)
1/2 cup of white sugar

Brown the ground beef adding the onions when about half browned. Add the tomato soup, the ketchup, black pepper, salt, sugar and stir to combine. Let this simmer 15 minutes over low heat, or drop it in a crock pot and bring it to high until it is bubbling then drop temp to low and let it go 24 hours(crockpot is best way to make this! The flavors meld and really gets tasty). Serve on a bun or bread with hamburger dill pickle slices... potato chips on the side!

This is comfort food form when I was growing up and I still make it, it freezes really well so I make 4 pounds and portion it out into serving size and vac bag it after I fill the bags and let them freeze for 2 hours to setup a bit.

gwpercle
12-15-2020, 05:34 PM
After Thanksgiving the leftover of that Turkey gets put in the fridge. I like taking the cold Turkey put it on Wonder Bread spread some Mayo on it and there I make 2 to 3 of these sandwiches for my backpack to take up to the tree stand for my deer hunt. Love a cold Turkey Sandwich. I ate these after Thanksgiving as long as I remember..

LIKE! LIKE! LIKE!
The best ! white wonder , mayo and turkey ...yeah ...that's the ticket !
I'm cooking another turkey for Christmas because I didn't get enough after Thanksgiving ...stinking relatives ate most of it ... they ain't coming for Christmas :happy dance:
Gary

jules
12-15-2020, 06:00 PM
Jumbo Shrimp Po Boy with a side of Snow crab legs.

rondog
12-16-2020, 08:25 AM
My fave is a BLT, with onion, Am. cheese slice, one egg over easy, and avocado slices.

imashooter2
12-16-2020, 12:32 PM
LIKE! LIKE! LIKE!
The best ! white wonder , mayo and turkey ...yeah ...that's the ticket !
I'm cooking another turkey for Christmas because I didn't get enough after Thanksgiving ...stinking relatives ate most of it ... they ain't coming for Christmas :happy dance:
Gary

We do a turkey on Christmas here as well.

http://imashooter2.com/pictures/turkey-sand.jpg

Dekota56
12-23-2020, 09:15 PM
Turkey sandwiches are great. Salt, pepper. Mayo , with good bread. take them on hunting trips

Traffer
12-23-2020, 09:24 PM
Pannini Sub. There was a little pizza/sub shop in Medford Ma that made the best sandwich I ever had (and there are a lot of good ones in the Boston area) A pannini sub. STOP yur makin me hungry.

Finster101
12-23-2020, 09:32 PM
For me it's hard to beat a good bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. Of course a little Tabasco on it helps too but it's still good without it.

Woodbridge 30-30
12-23-2020, 09:41 PM
For me it's hard to beat a good bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. Of course a little Tabasco on it helps too but it's still good without it.Agreed... in fact I just had one for dinner tonight. On rye of course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

green mountain boy
12-31-2020, 06:54 PM
i find it pretty hard to beat a turkey sandwich in a cold duck blind, homemade bread, a good mayo, lots of black pepper. this from a guy that also loves an onion sandwich with good mayo.....

onceabull
12-31-2020, 06:59 PM
Most any sandwich worth mention is prepared on Extra Sour Rye.......

Blanket
12-31-2020, 07:15 PM
to many to mention but hard to beat a fried egg with mayo or a radish, red onion, black pepper and mustard on rye

winshooter
01-06-2021, 12:48 AM
Limburger cheese with thin sliced red onion on hard pumpernickel (the kind that is about 4 inches square you find in the deli).
My mom started me out on chunky peanut butter, strawberry jelly and mayonnaise (always Best Foods) on white bread. It’s still my go to when I’m in a hurry.