PDA

View Full Version : Storing powder

Black Jaque Janaviac
10-05-2020, 10:32 AM
I finally decided to give Smoke's a try and went in for a 3x1/3 # sampler pack. I am not looking back!

But they come in cheap ziplock baggies which I know I must transfer into something else.

With just 1/3 pound of each color I am tempted to jus dump the entire amount into my shaking tub with the ASBBs. I would then only need 3 tubs, one for each color. Or do problems arise if you use too much powder in the container? I only shake maybe 50-100 bullets @ a time.

Misery-Whip
10-05-2020, 11:31 AM
I find my tubs with screw on lids will draw moisture, and the powder doesnt work well when its left in there. The double baggies will keep it fresh.

BamaNapper
10-05-2020, 11:31 AM
I've kept my Smoke's in the zip bags they came in, but I put that baggie inside another quart sized zip bag along with a plastic spoon for that color. Then I put my PC powders, BBs, and shaker containers in a small plastic tote to keep the bags from getting punctured and the residue off my work area. After a couple years in the baggies the powder works as well as the day it showed up.

Can you have too much in a container when you shake? I've personally never tried to dump in half a pound of powder. But I assume that the more powder you have in the container, the harder it's going to be to build up a decent static charge on the boolits. Besides, you may find it beneficial to keep the colors separated so you can use them to distinguish between different loads. I personally like green for my zombie practice loads and red for the hotter rounds.

But feel free to give it a try. If it doesn't work you'll just have to dump the powder back into a baggie and store it in your shaker container. Nothing lost.

Black Jaque Janaviac
10-05-2020, 01:05 PM
I suppose, there's probably no risk in giving it a try except that if I have too much powder I'd have to separate the powder from the ASBBs before putting it back in the bag.

I was just thinking that it would be easy to save up No. 5 plastic yogurt/cottage cheese tubs that would nest. I could have a set of 3 tubs for each color. One to shake em in, one with holes drilled to sieve out the BBs & powder, and the 3rd to catch the BBs & powder. I could even get by with 2 and just set the sieve on the plastic lid while I dump the bullets, BBs, & powder into the sieve. Then just hold the sieve over the now-empty shaker tub & hope the lid catches most of the mess. Storing the plastic bags in another container would be no big deal I guess. I'm just trying to think of space-saving things. Previously I had 1 harbor freight red color to deal with and I think it would be nice to have a set of shaking tubs and sieves for each color, but that would require more tubs, more space, yadda-yadda.

slide
10-05-2020, 01:20 PM
Empty gunpowder bottles work well. They are airtight as long as you don't lose the seal. Put a piece of masking tape with the color written on it. You could probably throw in one of those moisture paks.

GregLaROCHE
10-05-2020, 01:49 PM
Add silica gel packs to powder and always squeeze out any air from bag.

PJEagle
10-05-2020, 01:59 PM
I tried putting more powder in the tub with the ASBB's, but that caused less powder to stick to the boolits. Through some experimenting I found that a little less than a tablespoon of powder in the tub gives the best results. That just proves that BamaNapper's assumption about too much powder reducing the static charge must be correct.

Black Jaque Janaviac
10-05-2020, 02:09 PM
I tried putting more powder in the tub with the ASBB's, but that caused less powder to stick to the boolits. Through some experimenting I found that a little less than a tablespoon of powder in the tub gives the best results. That just proves that BamaNapper's assumption about too much powder reducing the static charge must be correct.

I've always read between a teaspoon and a tablespoon of powder, but was curious if someone tried more. Now I know.

Kraschenbirn
10-05-2020, 08:35 PM
Mason jars with silica gel packs.

WebMonkey
10-05-2020, 08:39 PM
my double baggies are in a 50 caliber ammo can.

all the powders are fine being in/out of there years.

:)

BK7saum
10-05-2020, 09:10 PM
I also use a .50 cal ammo can with smokes powder in the plastic bags. I put a big desiccant canister in there also.

rancher1913
10-05-2020, 10:00 PM
mine came double bagged and I have never needed to do anything different.

country gent
10-05-2020, 11:06 PM
While I have never powder coated I have read the problems associated with moisture and humidity. Would a small metal cabinet or wood cabinet with a golden rod dehumidifier for storage the tools and powder help? we had a college refrigerator with a 20 watt bulb for welding rods in the barn to keep the welding rods dry.

GregLaROCHE
10-07-2020, 03:04 AM
While I have never powder coated I have read the problems associated with moisture and humidity. Would a small metal cabinet or wood cabinet with a golden rod dehumidifier for storage the tools and powder help? we had a college refrigerator with a 20 watt bulb for welding rods in the barn to keep the welding rods dry.

I don’t think you really have to get that elaborate. Double bagging with silica gel packs should be enough.

cwlongshot
10-07-2020, 07:00 AM
I havw been just double bagging then rolling and boxing my powders. Its been fine. But recently been replacing powders a d eastwood comes in the bottles. I like them but they are far bulkier.

I had my wife grab me a few "GLAD" quart containers. They are clear with a purple/blue screw top. These do work very well with sealed Zip lock bags containing powder inside.

You really want a zip lock for first container as your able to "squeeze out" most of the air then seal. Air holds moisture and moisture kills static.

Good luck. Tell us what YOU COME UP WITH!!

God Bless,

CW

cstrickland
10-07-2020, 07:00 PM
mine are double bagged as they come and have been stored in my unheated garage for a couple of years now. Through winter and summer , still all good with no issues. I just make sure I squeeze as much air out as possible when I reseal

GregLaROCHE
10-08-2020, 12:09 AM
The problem with rigid containers, is you can’t evacuate the air that enters as you use up the powder. Might be fine for those in dry climates, but I’ll always go for plastic bags.

Tripplebeards
10-11-2020, 07:39 AM
I’ve tried every method of storage and still don’t get great coverage on any color accept for for smokes clear year around when tumble coating. I can be sweating like a hog and his clear still evenly coats...just thinner in the humid, hot summer months. I usually wait till the dead of winter when it’s in single digits, or lower, and my socks shock me when putting them on if I want great color coverage.