PDA

View Full Version : Lee Tumble Lube 32 WC

Green Frog
10-04-2020, 07:14 PM
I think I’ve asked this question before, but I can’t seem to find the answer or even the original thread, so I’ve decided to try again. My friend Dale53 has a 6 cavity Lee mould that casts a 32 caliber double ended wadcutter (not SWC) with the micro grooves for tumble lubing. His drops them at about .3145” with a COWW+ 2% tin alloy.

I would like to find out a little more about this mould as I can find nothing about it on the Inter-Web so I’ll put it out again here. Does anyone know when this mould was made and under what circumstances did they start and stop making it? Of course it would be too much to hope for, but does anyone know of one for sale? It’s a long way from Central VA to SW OH for me to cast up a batch with Dale53’s mould.

TIA~Froggie

Ben
10-05-2020, 07:20 AM
Tom at Accurate can make it for you.
This pic doesn't show a double ended, but he will add that feature if you ask him to. It will cast the dia. that you request with your particular alloy.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-100A-D.png

harm
10-05-2020, 09:38 AM
I've been keeping an eye out for one of these, myself. They have been discontinued for quite a while. No specific dates, but here's a thread from 2006.. http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=13016

MT Gianni
10-05-2020, 11:27 AM
Nice to know Ben, Lee took that out of service far too early.

Jeff Michel
10-05-2020, 05:50 PM
It isn't a tumble lube but I can vouch for this mold.
http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=77

mtnman31
10-05-2020, 08:25 PM
I too have been looking for the Lee .32 WC mold for a while. The two cavity mold had the part # 90296, not sure if the six cavity had the same part number or not and I'm not sure when it was discontinued or why. The part number for the mold has since been re-used for the 50 Beowolf 4-die set. I've got an NOE mold that drops a WC at .314" and 89gr. It is not a tumble lube design but uses traditional lube grooves. It works well in both my Hammerli .32 S&W Long and Nagant revolver. I did see someone had the Lee for sale on eBay a couple months back but the guy wanted 50 bucks for it. I'm not paying that for a used mold unless I knew it was going to work better than the NOE mold I'm currently using. Good luck in your search. If anything, this thread lets me know that there are couple other guys out there competing for the same mold. :-D

Edit: I looked back in some older catalogs. I had a 2002 catalog and a 2006. The mold was available in 2002 and was no longer shown in the 2006 catalog, so it dropped sometime between 2002 and 2006.

MT Gianni
10-06-2020, 10:00 AM

That looks like the GAR, Garfolo Smith designed wc's. He had a store in NJ and was a go to mail order source before people sold stuff on the net.

Green Frog
10-06-2020, 11:50 AM
I’ve got a HBWC 32 cal mould from NOE, but I’m thinking that a TLWC that I can tumble lube and load without sizing might be just my huckleberry for the K32. I’ll just have to make a run of them next time I visit with Dlae53 and see whether I can establish “proof of concept.” My process at Casa 53 seem to be building up during the enforced Kung Flu isolation.

Then again maybe the tooth fairy will bring one to me next time I lose a tooth in my old age! :Bright idea:

Froggie

Green Frog
10-06-2020, 11:53 AM
PS to last: Does anybody know whether Lee will still do a group buy these days? Especially if they have the cherry already, it should be an easy setup.

Green Frog
10-06-2020, 12:01 PM

Dale53 has that design, but as made by Mihec. It shoots great, but is a PITA to cast... the bullets don’t want to drop out of his mould. Does your Arsenal version drop well?

I just checked their site and 4 cab was the only brass I could get (after a 7 day wait.)

Froggie

Wheelguns 1961
10-06-2020, 12:14 PM
I have the arsenal version. It has been awhile since I last used it, but I don’t remember having any problems.

samari46
10-07-2020, 12:39 AM
GAR, haven't heard that name in quite a few years. I lived in NYC and bought a lot of stuff from them. Frank

MT Gianni
10-07-2020, 11:29 AM
I don't think they use cherries and I think they said no to group buys. I also am to old to trust my memory 100%.

NoZombies
10-08-2020, 08:27 PM
Froggie, Clear your inbox if you would..

Green Frog
10-09-2020, 08:53 AM
Froggie, Clear your inbox if you would..

It’s been pruned down now, NZ. Fire away!

Froggie

Green Frog
10-10-2020, 10:57 AM
No word on interest in a group buy or even whether it's possible any more from Lee. Does anyone know whether they even take special orders (for say 25 six cavity moulds from a cherry already in their library?) I now have two "loaner" possibilities, but I don't want to fall in love with this bullet and then not be able to get the mould.

Do any of the custom makers do TL mould designs or is that a proprietary thing with Lee?

Froggie

deltaenterprizes
10-10-2020, 04:39 PM
No word on interest in a group buy or even whether it's possible any more from Lee. Does anyone know whether they even take special orders (for say 25 six cavity moulds from a cherry already in their library?) I now have two "loaner" possibilities, but I don't want to fall in love with this bullet and then not be able to get the

Do any of the custom makers do TL mould designs or is that a proprietary thing with Lee?

Froggie

LEE does not use cherries, they lathe bore on CNC equipment!

harm
10-10-2020, 06:11 PM
NOE has a number of TL designs (Ranch Dog especially) and recently made the TL 310-225 for Full.Lead.Taco in a group buy.

No reason to believe they couldn't do another 30-32 cal TL mold.

Jeff Michel
10-11-2020, 08:11 AM
I have the 5 cavity aluminium. They dropped with ease on the first use. I can't speak for Arsenal Molds but in the couple times I purchased from them, you specifically order what you desire and they make them, It doesn't appear that they keep an inventory. i just trotted over to their sight and they do offer this style in Aluminum. They also offer to make any style to a specific diameter that you would request. Very nice if you have a slew of obese chambered Marlins. If you wish to try before you buy, PM me and I would be pleased to send you a sample.