PDA

View Full Version : polish feed ramp

hiram
10-04-2020, 04:31 PM
I have a Beretta 84 and the feed ramp needs to be polished. I have 240 and 400 grit compound. Are either one of these good or do I nee something else? Thanks.

pietro
10-04-2020, 04:54 PM

I would go with the finer grit, unless it's not readily effective.

IMO, polishing feed ramps is an ideal application for a Dremel tool and coarse/fine automotive valve grinding compound (auto parts stores)

hiram
10-04-2020, 05:22 PM
I have a dremel. Also have emery, tripoli, rouge, and some white stuff. The 400 is Clover brand>>marked lapping, honing, polishing. The 240 is another brand marked for lapping.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-04-2020, 05:27 PM
Those would both be good, but I use Craytex bullet points for most ramps. They also come in different grits. One can buy a segmented plastic box with various Craytex tips, but it's a bit pricey for one job.

elmacgyver0
10-04-2020, 05:32 PM
I would/have use rouge. Looks like a mirror when done.

William Yanda
10-04-2020, 05:48 PM
I used the fine side of a foam backed emery board to polish the machine marks off the ramp of a Turkish 1911. Its not mirror smooth, but the machine marks are gone.

35remington
10-04-2020, 06:12 PM
If the gun is feeding correctly the ramp doesn’t need to be polished. Most feeding problems that do occur are misdiagnosed as “the feed ramp needs polishing.”

This is rarely the case. Make sure if feeding problems are occurring they are correctly diagnosed rather than applying a fix to something that don’t need fixing.

hiram
10-04-2020, 06:21 PM
The cartridge is picked up by the bolt but feeding stops when the bullet (RN) pokes into the chamber. A push on the back of the slide finishes chambering.

elmacgyver0
10-04-2020, 06:22 PM
If the gun is feeding correctly the ramp doesn’t need to be polished. Most feeding problems that do occur are misdiagnosed as “the feed ramp needs polishing.”

This is rarely the case. Make sure if feeding problems are occurring they are correctly diagnosed rather than applying a fix to something that don’t need fixing.

I was responding to "The feed ramp needs polishing".
You evidently have more information than I am privy to..

MrWolf
10-04-2020, 07:39 PM
Thought you were picking on me but technically I am a Slovak :groner:

Der Gebirgsjager
10-04-2020, 07:57 PM
The cartridge is picked up by the bolt but feeding stops when the bullet (RN) pokes into the chamber. A push on the back of the slide finishes chambering.

That doesn't really sound like the feed ramp, or it may be only the part of the problem. It sounds like maybe a new recoil spring is needed, and perhaps a different magazine.

country gent
10-06-2020, 11:48 AM
I have used the craytex points in a small pencil grinder with good results. Another I have found useful is a slip on pencil eraser and diamond lap compound. With this if you can see the rub marks where the bullet is hitting you can easily work these spots to a nice mirror finish. Actually I like the eraser as the polish lines run with the ramp not against it when done, making or a slicker surface.

wv109323
10-09-2020, 12:26 AM
I use Dremel with cotton wheel and jewelers rouge.