PDA

View Full Version : Early Lee Dies With Proprietary Thread?

jimkim
10-04-2020, 08:19 AM
I was on a FB reloading group the other day. Someone told me the early Lee presses came with threads other than 7/8-14. I've never seen a Lee press that wouldn't take standard 7/8-14 dies. I know if you pull the insert in a Lee Classic Cast it will take large dia dies, but I don't count that. Does anyone have information or a picture of an early Lee press or dies with an odd thread? I keep thinking maybe he is confusing Lee with Lyman and the Tru Line Jr. Thanks.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Rich/WIS
10-04-2020, 09:35 AM
Have never heard that before, given LEE's desire to make and sell presses can't imagine they would make presses that required proprietary dies.

mdi
10-04-2020, 10:52 AM
Misinformation. Lyman Tru-Line Jr presses use the same die thread size as the 310 tool; 5/8-30. IIRC Lee has always used 7/8-14...

Shawlerbrook
10-04-2020, 10:58 AM
Yes, sounds like someone was confusing Lee and Lyman.

GWS
10-12-2020, 09:31 AM
I was using Lee dies in 1972 in a Rock Chucker one. Any earlier than that I wouldn't know. They spun right on. How early is early?

bedbugbilly
10-12-2020, 10:32 AM
Lee . . . . Lyman (310 dies) . . . hey . . .they both start with "L"

BUT . . . I can easily use any of my Lyman 310 dies in my LEE PRESS with the proper 310 to 7/8" - 14 bushings . . , , , hmmm , , , does that make my press a "Lyleeman" or a "Leelyman"?

MostlyLeverGuns
10-12-2020, 11:17 AM
I started in 1964 - 7/8x14 blue Pacific C-press. Lyman 5/8-30 for Tru-line Jr(?) and 310 tool were available. Herter's dies were 7/8-14 back then. There were a few early preses (belding&Mull) that had proprietary dies. Lee started with the Whack-A-Mole then started making standard 7/8-14 dies(late 60's, early 70's?). Lee carbide dies were about one third the price of RCBS carbide and pretty much ended steel handgun and lubricating cases for straight handgun cases.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-12-2020, 11:22 AM
I'm a member of several FB reloading/casting groups. There are lots of people asking stupid questions and being given lots of incorrect info.

Burnt Fingers
10-12-2020, 12:37 PM
I'm a member of several FB reloading/casting groups. There are lots of people asking stupid questions and being given lots of incorrect info.

That's the whole purpose of Facebook.

mdi
10-13-2020, 12:23 PM
One of the major problems with the internet and especially anything reloading related is anyone can post their "facts". There is no requirement to post anything whether it is just "facts/data" or videos other than knowing how to poke some keys and hit "enter". Closely related is the lack of patience; instant gratification thinking (quite prevalent these days). Rather than find a reliable source if info, a forum question takes only seconds and replies can start immediately, and any anonymous screen name can claim expertise. No need to think or even look in a book.

One example of poor nearing dangerous "info"; I purchased a new rifle, a 22 lr and just out of curiosity researched ammo reviews on line (I have concentrated on reloading for the last 20 years and have done little rimfire shooting). Ninety percent of the review videos I saw were frightening. A shaky hand held camera and a "hey guys whaz happin'?" intro before some idiot shoots at a chunk of baloney. I watched a few, just out of curiosity and my feelings about Youtube and anything firearm related were again reinforced. For new shooters/reloaders/casters; stay away from Youtube...