PDA

View Full Version : Anyone willing to part with a Carbide Die set for .45 ACP?

VariableRecall
10-04-2020, 03:50 AM
My brother recently got a Rock Island Armory 1911A1 FS, and from the looks of it, we may have to start reloading for it far earlier than we anticipated. I'm looking for a Carbide Die Set for .45 ACP that fits in my Lee Hand Press. I've had good success with the Lee Carbide Die set in my own caliber; .38 Special, but now that there's another bullet chewing member of the family that would prefer to have something to eat.

It doesn't have to be a Lee Brand Die set, just one that can fit in my current Hand Press, which has the same threading as the larger sized Lee Presses.

smithnframe
10-04-2020, 07:41 AM
I have a Lyman set I'd be willing to part with. Make me an offer! PM me.

JimB..
10-04-2020, 09:08 AM
Love it, you boys are gonna drive your parents nuts!

Loading for 45acp is as easy as loading for 38spcl, great calibers to start with. One challenge/opportunity is that there is 45acp brass available in both large and small primer sizes, so you can get by with either once you find some of either.

VariableRecall
10-07-2020, 02:34 AM
Love it, you boys are gonna drive your parents nuts!

Loading for 45acp is as easy as loading for 38spcl, great calibers to start with. One challenge/opportunity is that there is 45acp brass available in both large and small primer sizes, so you can get by with either once you find some of either.

I was able to purchase some Winchester Factory Brass. Do you know the primer size for that manufacturing of brass?

JimB..
10-07-2020, 01:35 PM
I was able to purchase some Winchester Factory Brass. Do you know the primer size for that manufacturing of brass?

Probably large, but take a spent primer that you pushed out of a 38spcl case and drop it into a new 45acp case. If it drops in and rattles around you have LPP brass, if you can’t get it it you have SPP brass.

I usually sort it just looking, but get crosseyed after a few thousand so keep a drill bit handy that fits into large but not small forget the size and am away from home today.

Froogal
10-07-2020, 01:42 PM
Midway has the LEE .45 acp 4 die set. Placed an order for one just a few hours ago.