PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Reloading Coach around Pullman, WA?

VariableRecall
10-04-2020, 02:59 AM
Now that I've got some equipment and primers, I'm in need of someone with additional reloading equipment and experience that I can learn from. Perhaps, even get some more equipment like the currently disappearing Small Pistol Primers.

My maximal preferred commuting distance would be Lewiston, ID, about a 40 min drive from where I live. Hopefully, I can also learn about the process of bullet casting and coating bullets in lubricant. Most importantly, I need experience with other types of reloading brands so that I can know which ones I should get in the future.

Is anyone in the Moscow/Lewiston area that can show me the ropes on reloading equipment that's actually bolted to something solid?

dangitgriff
10-04-2020, 06:14 AM
You’re very wise in seeking a reloading mentor. I’m in Florida, sorry, can’t help...and I’m relatively new at it myself. I followed the same path, a good friend showed me the ropes and even took time off from working to do it; he felt it was that important.
Good luck to you, in both your reloading and school efforts.
R/Griff

dverna
10-04-2020, 08:15 AM
If you can get a mentor, how do you know he knows what he is doing?

Even we "experts" here do not agree on everything. And I have seen some silly stuff posted here.

Spend time reading and use your common sense. Ask questions and get a cross section of opinions. You will learn in a very few months who to listen to if you spend some time here.

Failing that, get the Lyman and Lee books. You may not believe it, but most of us learned by reading....there were no personal computers even invented when I learned to reload 50+ years ago.

You are starting with a good caliber. 38Spl. Your main safety issue is to avoid a double charge. NEVER charge a case and put it down. Once a case is charged with powder, IMMEDIATELY seat the bullet. It is impossible to double charge it you do that. And it is more efficient!! Others will tell you charge every case, put it in a loading block, take a light and check for a double charge and then seat the bullets...and it only takes one mistake to have an issue. My way is idiot proof.

Good luck!!!!

osteodoc08
10-04-2020, 08:47 AM
As usual dverna gives good advice. I have learned to load this way unless I’m on my progressive.

Given today’s climate, there may be some hesitation for someone to bring a complete stranger to visualize their reloading and consequently gun gear.

I’d recommend getting the current Lyman cast handbook, and read, learn and ask plenty of questions.

VariableRecall
10-04-2020, 11:09 AM
As usual dverna gives good advice. I have learned to load this way unless I’m on my progressive.

Given today’s climate, there may be some hesitation for someone to bring a complete stranger to visualize their reloading and consequently gun gear.

I’d recommend getting the current Lyman cast handbook, and read, learn and ask plenty of questions.

Thank you for the recommendations! Is there an earlier version of that Lyman Casting Handbook that's in PDF Form? I've had great success looking through the Lyman 48th edition Reloading Handbook that someone provided me in that format.

osteodoc08
10-04-2020, 11:32 AM
Thank you for the recommendations! Is there an earlier version of that Lyman Casting Handbook that's in PDF Form? I've had great success looking through the Lyman 48th edition Reloading Handbook that someone provided me in that format.

Unfortunately I know of none.

VariableRecall
10-04-2020, 11:42 AM
Unfortunately I know of none.

That's OK. I think I'll go off the casting information in the Lyman manual for the time being, and do some research on equipment prices. that way, if someone's looking to part with some of theirs, I know what it is and how well it is liked.

GregLaROCHE
10-04-2020, 11:51 AM
If there is a local store that sells reloading supplies, try posting a note asking there. Otherwise, the basics are not that complicated. Yes be careful not to double charge and use minimum starting loads to begin with. There’s lots available on YouTube and you can always ask questions here and/or search the data base.

VariableRecall
10-04-2020, 11:56 AM
There’s lots available on YouTube and you can always ask questions here and/or search the data base.

I've been trawling through YouTube for reloading channels and I've found a good selection of friendly faces.
One of my favorites in that subject is FortuneCookie45LC. He's fairly small in terms of subscriber count but he's got plenty of great videos on the subject.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8mM8eaTSFODu1QpedvpInA

JM7.7x58
10-04-2020, 12:09 PM
Welcome from the wet side of our great state.

I wrote a big rant about how people are scared to meet other people. And keeping our hobby alive. Blah blah blah. But I deleted it.

Send Idaho45guy a PM. I think that he works for some tech company that has a facility near one of the universities, in Pullman or Moscow. You could go get a coffee and look at the empty shelves in the LGS. Or maybe he knows an “expert” who could show you the ropes there in Pullman.

JM

JM7.7x58
10-04-2020, 12:12 PM
Lyman 3rd edition PDF.

http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manuals/Bullet%20Casting/Lyman%20Cast%20Bullet%20Handbook%20-%203rd%20Edition%20-%201980%20-%20Reduce.pdf

VariableRecall
10-04-2020, 01:08 PM
Lyman 3rd edition PDF.

http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manuals/Bullet%20Casting/Lyman%20Cast%20Bullet%20Handbook%20-%203rd%20Edition%20-%201980%20-%20Reduce.pdf

Thank you man! This will really help!

It's probably going to be years before I actually start casting my own, but learning about it now's a good idea.

gbrown
10-04-2020, 01:27 PM
Cornell Publishing has a large selection of Lyman manual reprints for sale.

WILCO
10-04-2020, 01:40 PM
Richard Lee was my "mentor".
As I read his book and loaded my first cartridge, it was as if he was standing
right behind me.

WILCO
10-04-2020, 01:44 PM
I've been trawling through YouTube for reloading channels and I've found a good selection of friendly faces.

I wouldn't watch any Youtube videos until you've read atleast one
complete reloading manual.
Everything you need to know is contained within those pages.
It'll keep you from blowing up a gun or two.
Believe me, it's a violent process when it occurs.

VariableRecall
10-04-2020, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't watch any Youtube videos until you've read atleast one
complete reloading manual.
Everything you need to know is contained within those pages.
It'll keep you from blowing up a gun or two.
Believe me, it's a violent process when it occurs.

I'm not really trusting my life to these youtube videos, I'm putting a lot more trust into the reloading manuals that I've scrounged up. I'll be getting the most recent Lee reloading manual this upcoming week. It's very interesting seeing different content creators reloading for similar calibers but using different die sets and techniques to get it done. There's a lot of them out there.

dangitgriff
10-04-2020, 05:45 PM
FortuneCookie45LC is a good YouTube channel...might learn some neat stuff from him.

Bazoo
10-04-2020, 05:59 PM
Learning from a mentor is no substitute for read a manual yourself. I've been loading and casting a decade, and I still read everything I can on the subject. I wish I'd had a mentor, but also glad I didn't in that I didn't learn their bad habits before I understood reloading.

quilbilly
10-04-2020, 06:04 PM
Too bad you aren't on the wet side of the mountains.

RoyEllis
10-04-2020, 06:07 PM
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5OXFZ9peAawfi1zNHA1TUx3QjhFRVA3RGc2cTVCUUZFanpjT 1RJSlJRQW1FR001OGcwTEk

Enough PDF copies of books to keep you reading for a loooong time.

lightman
10-04-2020, 06:19 PM
If I were local to you I would be happy to mentor you. But I'm too far away. And I'm another thats not a YouTube fan. I've seen too many goobers on there talking about something that they know nothing about! Buy one of the loading books and read it. Then come back here and ask questions. For the record, I like the Lyman book. Welcome to the hobby and Good Luck!

VariableRecall
10-04-2020, 09:44 PM
Too bad you aren't on the wet side of the mountains.

I'm probably going back the wet side of Washington once I graduate. I hope to get a job somewhere in Bellevue or Everett, to keep myself local to where I grew up.

VariableRecall
10-04-2020, 09:50 PM
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5OXFZ9peAawfi1zNHA1TUx3QjhFRVA3RGc2cTVCUUZFanpjT 1RJSlJRQW1FR001OGcwTEk

Enough PDF copies of books to keep you reading for a loooong time.

I have locally downloaded ALL of the PDF's just in case! Wow! What a stash! It never really crossed my mind that people would reload for shotguns but considering the immense amount of things that you could potentially shove into a 12 gauge hull, the possibilities seem endless.

Also, one thing that I did notice is that Shotgun ammunition appears to be in good supply, so perhaps it would have been a smart move to get one looking back. I've had a great experience with the full-length Remington 870 with a sight rib and bead for trap shooting, but, I've only got a pistol safe, nothing large enough to keep a long gun secure.

5Shot
10-04-2020, 10:48 PM
So...do you have a lot of acreage full of whitetails, coyotes and pheasants? If so I am in! Seriously though, I am in Spokane and can certainly help out.

VariableRecall
10-05-2020, 12:20 AM
So...do you have a lot of acreage full of whitetails, coyotes and pheasants? If so I am in! Seriously though, I am in Spokane and can certainly help out.

Kind of the opposite. I'm still in Pullman and I'll be moving out from there in late June 2021. Zero acreage in an apartment, you know. My family has a house in Western Washington Suburbia and not a square foot of land elsewhere. I can still see that there would be a lot of opportunities to do that sort of thing around Eastern Washington though.

One step at a time my guy. First, I need to get my cap and gown, (and a job that will pay me for my precious engineering degree), then I can dream about shotgun shooting and the like.
I've never gone hunting, but my shotgun experience comes from trap shooting, and that was a blast (pun intended).

I also see the value in a full length shotgun for home defense purposes, with enough shells in the tube for any awful situation. In my opinion, any shotgun without a stock is a disaster waiting to happen.

5Shot
10-05-2020, 04:57 PM
so your interest is in Shotgun reloading?

VariableRecall
10-05-2020, 08:40 PM
so your interest is in Shotgun reloading?

That's something for the future when I could have enough outdoor exterior space to do that sort of thing. I just didn't initially know that shotgun reloading was a pretty large category for all of this.

I'm more interested in Handgun reloading, especially because shotgun ammunition is plentiful and not too expensive around here.

My local sporting goods store literally took the price tags off the area where they keep 9mm, .38 Special, and .45 ACP, things are looking that lean for ammo these days.

5Shot
10-05-2020, 08:44 PM
Well pistol loading is pretty straight forward with all of the data available. Let me know if you are looking to have someone show you on your equipment or theirs.

VariableRecall
10-05-2020, 09:58 PM
Well pistol loading is pretty straight forward with all of the data available. Let me know if you are looking to have someone show you on your equipment or theirs.

I'm kind of "slumming it" with just a hand press, but it has certainly been doing the job for now. I've yet to begin to measure powder as I've recently realized (As discussed in my other thread) that I've seated my bullets a smidge above the crimp area, so I was placing them a little short, but still above the recommended COL.

It would be pretty nice to do this kind of work on a single stage or progressive press if someone around my area has one. As long as it fits my Lee Dies, that is.

5Shot
10-05-2020, 10:06 PM
If you are only doing low volume, I'd opt for a turret press. I have a single stage and a Dillon, and unless I am doing hundreds, the single stage gets the nod. A turret would speed things up a bit.

Bazoo
10-05-2020, 10:37 PM
You're not slumming it with a hand press. A hand press is not a cheap toy, it's a space saving portable press. You might want to take your reloading stuff home or to a mentors house, and the hand press shines there.

I use my hand press half the time.

Idaho45guy
10-06-2020, 03:11 AM
I work in Pullman and live in Palouse, but I've only been reloading for a few years and just started reloading rifle rounds a few months ago.

I'd help, but I'm barely less wet behind the ears than you are, lol.

Most of what I've learned, has been from here and other forums. https://www.northwestfirearms.com/ has been a great resource as well. Lots of members on there from Washington with a few in the Spokane area and a couple of guys in Lewiston.

I started with a Lee hand press for doing .45-70 govt. black powder match loads in 2009.

I bought a Lee single-stage press in 2014 and still use it. I reload in batches of 20 or 50 and focus on accuracy rather than plinking ammo. My brother has an old Dillon progressive press he's offered to me and I turned it down. I like my simple and easy to use single-stage.

A year ago, you could buy bullets, primer, and powder at decent prices from Walmart in Moscow or Pullman. It was awesome. Now, both stores have gotten out of the reloading supply business. That leaves Tri-State. They have zero bullets for pistol calibers now, but still have powder and cases (except for .40 S&W) at normal prices.

My dad just went to Sportsman's Warehouse in Lewiston a couple of days ago and said Tri-State has more ammo, which was surprising.

My FFL is King's Arms in Colfax. Owned by a Whitman county deputy who is a great guy and has a shop next to his house. Last time I was there, I scored some powder and ammo. But, I haven't been there for months and his hours are sketchy. Something like 7pm to 9pm a couple of days a week. I work graveyard shift, so I haven't been to his shop for a long time.

I've made a couple of trips up to Spokane to Cabela's and the Sportman's up there in search of components, but they are worse off than around here. My last trip to Lewiston, I managed to snag a case of Federal large pistol primers.

I have enough primers and powder to make due for a year long drought and can't spare much, but if you are in dire straits, I'd be willing to help out. It's crazy times we live in so we need to stick together.

Idaho45guy
10-06-2020, 03:25 AM
What pistol caliber are you trying to load for?

I used to shoot in GSSF matches monthly down in Lewiston and am pretty dang good at creating accurate and reliable 9mm and .40 S&W.

If you just need a bench to sit at and create some rounds, I can help out.

What degree are you working on in engineering? SEL is the largest employer in Pullman/Moscow for electrical and software engineers. I've heard there are a few intern opportunities there. However, right now, all interns are told to stay home due to the explosion in COVID-19 cases. Supposedly bringing them back soon, however.

I may "know a guy" that works there.

VariableRecall
10-06-2020, 03:36 AM
I work in Pullman and live in Palouse, but I've only been reloading for a few years and just started reloading rifle rounds a few months ago.

I'd help, but I'm barely less wet behind the ears than you are, lol.

Most of what I've learned, has been from here and other forums. https://www.northwestfirearms.com/ has been a great resource as well. Lots of members on there from Washington with a few in the Spokane area and a couple of guys in Lewiston.

I started with a Lee hand press for doing .45-70 govt. black powder match loads in 2009.

I bought a Lee single-stage press in 2014 and still use it. I reload in batches of 20 or 50 and focus on accuracy rather than plinking ammo. My brother has an old Dillon progressive press he's offered to me and I turned it down. I like my simple and easy to use single-stage.

A year ago, you could buy bullets, primer, and powder at decent prices from Walmart in Moscow or Pullman. It was awesome. Now, both stores have gotten out of the reloading supply business. That leaves Tri-State. They have zero bullets for pistol calibers now, but still have powder and cases (except for .40 S&W) at normal prices.

My dad just went to Sportsman's Warehouse in Lewiston a couple of days ago and said Tri-State has more ammo, which was surprising.

My FFL is King's Arms in Colfax. Owned by a Whitman county deputy who is a great guy and has a shop next to his house. Last time I was there, I scored some powder and ammo. But, I haven't been there for months and his hours are sketchy. Something like 7pm to 9pm a couple of days a week. I work graveyard shift, so I haven't been to his shop for a long time.

Excellent to get in touch with a local! Either way, it would be very neat to see your setup and how you work! The FFL I used was SR Guns LLC over on the Idaho border side of Washington. Tri-State over in Moscow has been an excellent resource for me. I've purchased all of my ammunition containers and locks from there, as well as my current hip holster. Too bad there's no ammunition and primers available, but there's everything else that they have in stock.

I'd love to bring my reloading equipment over and try it out on your setup, as long as it fits Lee dies.
I am loading for .38 Special, for my S&W Model 10-5.

We should meet up sometime! PM Me if you would like!

(btw I'm majoring in Computer Science. Tough stuff but I'm pushing through it.)

bakerjw
10-06-2020, 07:39 AM
There are many online meeting programs that you can use to remote mentor. A mentor doesn't necessarily have to be right there with you.

Three44s
10-06-2020, 08:58 AM
I respect and honor your prudence at being careful about getting up and going with hand loading. However I think you can venture forth with a little more confidence.

I began loading at 19 with no internet, just a Hornady manual. I bought a RCBS Jr. press and placed it on a home made stand and weighed powder with 505 scale using a plastic picnic spoon and my fingers for a trickier.

I had no mentors available. Just caution and reading. I was loading for 250-3000 and 243 Win.

Later, I got into .357 when I bought a 1980 Marlin 1894 in that cartridge. By that time I bought a RCBS Uniflow measure.

So for you, I hope you bought carbide dies for your .38. I still lube cases in single stage loading because I feel the brass lasts longer and if you forget to lube the carbide saves from having a stuck case.

For the time being I would suggest a bulkier powder in a middle of the road charge such as Unique. Use a block and charge all your cases. Get an unsharpened wood pencil and weight one case out. Place the pencil, business end down, into the charged case. Mark the case, I prefer to lightly score the side of the pencil with a sharp knife so you have a reference Mark for that charge level. There is a bit of art here though as you use the pencil to level off the powder on each case. It does not take much movement however. You need to get your plane of vision the same as the case mouths in the block as well.

This gives you a powder checker. Run your block of charged cases. I eye ball my loads in a block but the pencil trick is big confidence builder for getting started. The bulkier powder gives you more margin for error at medium pressure for your gun.

I am in Yakima. You could “go low” on your trips back to Lala land and visit with me for a while if you cared to. You could just PM me and we can tell each other lies on the “Telly” as well.

But I think your abundance in caution and reading are your biggest asset.

I suppose I could sum it this way:

You begin carefully and stay safe. The long term learning for those that really pursue this hobby is to gain accuracy, etc. The safety tenant is baked in.

Three44s

gbrown
10-06-2020, 09:39 AM
I understand your situation, and sympathize with it. I started reloading around 18 yoa. My buddy was working in a general store type place, kinda the local Walmart of the 1960's. It had a large sporting goods area with lots of shooting supplies. Old time reloaders from the 40's and even earlier, would come in for supplies. He talked to them and got interested. He and I were big duck and dove hunters, but having a lack of funds, couldn't always afford those $3.00 a box shells. We went in together and bought a Texan shotgun reloader and supplies and started. We were reloading a box of shells for less than a buck. This was before plastic wads and just at the beginning of plastic shells. As young airhead, we had our share of 'Oops," but luckily, nothing serious. We had no mentors, but he knew all the "old hands," people we could go to with problems. About a year into all this, he came by with a proposal: a fellow he knew wanted 5000 cast 30 M1 carbine bullets. My buddy could borrow a gang mold and a sizer. We could do it and make some money! Well, we started, and then, he couldn't be there for some reason, so I got to cast and size (my first experience with Star sizer) 4000 some odd bullets. Being young and dumb, raised to keep my word, didn't worry, just did it.

You're lucky to have the access to the wealth of knowledge here. Listen to what is said. Read everything possible about the subject, even if it doesn't apply to your situation, now. Start simple, think small. A piece of reinforced plywood fastened securely to 2 collapsible saw horses can be your reloading bench. Mount your gear on boards that can be clamped to the bench for quick set up and take down.

quilbilly
10-06-2020, 01:26 PM
I have a friend in Duvall that can give you some help when you return to the wet side. When I was going to Oregon State U. (long, long ago) my little Lee loaders kept me going so I know what you are about.

Shawlerbrook
10-06-2020, 01:30 PM
There are some great YouTube videos from some of the equipment and component companies that are very helpful. Some of the local BOCES and community colleges used to offer classes. You usually can find willing coaches at some of the gun clubs, but like said above, don’t assume everyone knows everything. Good old fashioned books still also work great.

VariableRecall
10-06-2020, 03:07 PM
So for you, I hope you bought carbide dies for your .38. I still lube cases in single stage loading because I feel the brass lasts longer and if you forget to lube the carbide saves from having a stuck case.

For the time being I would suggest a bulkier powder in a middle of the road charge such as Unique. Use a block and charge all your cases. Get an unsharpened wood pencil and weight one case out. Place the pencil, business end down, into the charged case. Mark the case, I prefer to lightly score the side of the pencil with a sharp knife so you have a reference Mark for that charge level. There is a bit of art here though as you use the pencil to level off the powder on each case. It does not take much movement however. You need to get your plane of vision the same as the case mouths in the block as well.

This gives you a powder checker. Run your block of charged cases. I eye ball my loads in a block but the pencil trick is big confidence builder for getting started. The bulkier powder gives you more margin for error at medium pressure for your gun.

Three44s

I have 1lb of Winchester 231 when it comes to powder. I'm minimizing the amount of powder I have in my apartment for safety's sake. I did the math and that single pound of powder will last me more than 1500 rounds if I use middle of the road loads for my 158gr SWC boolits coated with Hi-Tek I had purchased from Hoosier Bullets. They had rounded out to about 10 cents per bullet including shipping for 655 bullets, so they were a very competitive deal.

I have a Lyman Digital Scale and a Lee Precision Powder scale, as well. I don't have a powder Measure, so learning how to use one with my local Boolit Buddy will be something that's on my list.

Since I've already sized and expanded all of my brass, I believe that the safest option is filling one case with a measure of powder, and IMMEDIATELY seating a bullet onto it, so that there is no chance you can double charge in the first place.

Bazoo
10-06-2020, 03:39 PM
You don't have to charge only one case at a time. Use a loading block, charge them all. Or if you haven't a loading block, a plastic tray out of a box of 45 acp or similar.

I use one loading block, and only for when I charge my cases with powder. The rest of the time I use Tupperware and just transfer from one to the other as I complete the operation.

I've made many cartridges without a loading block though. With my primed, expanded cases in Tupperware, I charge a case, set it on the bench, doing 5 or 10 and setting them in a row with a little space between each. Then I check them with a light, then seat bullets on each. It's not ideal but it works and other than knocking over a case and spilling powder, is problem free.

Tripplebeards
10-06-2020, 03:42 PM
I learned from non stop reading posts here...and still learning.

gbrown
10-06-2020, 05:08 PM
If you need a loading block, get a piece of pine board or a small piece of plywood, like 12" by 12". Find someone with a drill, borrow it, and borrow or buy a 1/2 in. bit. Drill holes half way to 3/4 through and yoiu have a loading block for .38, 357, 9 mm, 380, etc. I did it, and used those and others for other calibers, forever.

Castaway
10-06-2020, 05:19 PM
Try local gun clubs. They may have NRA instructors for reloading if you ask around

Jniedbalski
10-06-2020, 08:57 PM
The lee prefect powder measure workes really good for me. Quick and easy to set up

VariableRecall
10-07-2020, 01:19 AM
The lee prefect powder measure workes really good for me. Quick and easy to set up

Have you used any other powder measures? Quite obviously, I haven't used one yet, so I'm not really sure what would work the best for me. I'm doing my best to minimize space with this whole project, so I'd rather focus on something that can be stored in a very compact fashion. Perhaps something that can be stored in its own hopper, like that Lee sizing kit?

GregLaROCHE
10-07-2020, 03:09 AM
One of my favorites in that subject is FortuneCookie45LC. He's fairly small in terms of subscriber count but he's got plenty of great videos on the subject.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8mM8eaTSFODu1QpedvpInA

FortuneCookie45LC does have a lot of good information. Unfortunately, today a lot of his stuff is no longer available on youtube. You need to go to Patreon or another platform to see it all.

Jniedbalski
10-07-2020, 10:58 AM
I load in my living room on the couch. I set up and bolt my press to a old school desk. The lid opens and has storage under it. I keep everything in it. I also mount or screw my powder measure to the desk. When done everything goes back in the desk. Then the kids use it for school work. Super small loading set up. The other stuff I have I store in tool boxes in the closet. The lee powder measure saves a lot of time and is repeatable for me on charge weight

VariableRecall
10-07-2020, 01:28 PM
I load in my living room on the couch. I set up and bolt my press to a old school desk. The lid opens and has storage under it. I keep everything in it. I also mount or screw my powder measure to the desk. When done everything goes back in the desk. Then the kids use it for school work. Super small loading set up. The other stuff I have I store in tool boxes in the closet. The lee powder measure saves a lot of time and is repeatable for me on charge weight

That's certainly a functional solution! However, I don't really have any furniture in my place that I can drill holes into without consequence. My dinner table isn't really asking for it. I don't really know what kind of freestanding board solution would work best for that powder measure. I'd assume just holding it in your hand wouldn't be a swell way to do it.

JimB..
10-07-2020, 02:24 PM
You could mount a powder measure to a small shelf that’s mounted to the wall.

Bazoo
10-07-2020, 03:39 PM
Screw the measure to a board, clamp the board to a table. Put sticky back felt on the board to protect your eating table.

Have you considered getting a small table or desk just for reloading? Maybe find something cheap or free.

dangitgriff
10-07-2020, 05:02 PM
Screw the measure to a board, clamp the board to a table. Put sticky back felt on the board to protect your eating table.

Have you considered getting a small table or desk just for reloading? Maybe find something cheap or free.

That’s what I did. Bought this little table/workbench, had a couple friends make a sturdy top, and mounted my Lee progressive and single stage on opposite sides.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201007/93eb5ad12cd5300b788c766877ea0b6d.jpg

VariableRecall
10-07-2020, 05:17 PM
That’s what I did. Bought this little table/workbench, had a couple friends make a sturdy top, and mounted my Lee progressive and single stage on opposite sides.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201007/93eb5ad12cd5300b788c766877ea0b6d.jpg

Looks good! I have a small plastic folding table that I use for a microphone clamping space for my desktop computer, but I'm not sure if it could stand up to a powder measure. There are plenty of secondhand stores around my area being a college town, so I'll at least have my fair choice of what will be available in terms of sacrificial wooden furniture. I suppose mounting it to some chunks of 2x4 clamped to a table wouldn't be a bad option either.

Idaho45guy
10-07-2020, 11:16 PM
Try local gun clubs. They may have NRA instructors for reloading if you ask around

Not really a thing out here.

The OP lives in a town of 35,000 people that has 5 marijuana dispensaries and not a single gun shop. There isn't a single place in his town to buy handguns, or powder, or components.

He can drive 8 miles over to Idaho to another town of 25,000 that also does not have a single stand-alone gun shop. There is exactly ONE place in that town to buy firearms or components.

He has two choices to buy ammo or components with any degree of selection. He can drive to Lewiston, which is 30 miles away. Or, he can drive to Spokane, which is about 70 miles away.

I know of one "gun club" in the entire region, and it is out in the middle of nowhere in Idaho and is a skeet club comprised of a bunch of old farmers.

VariableRecall
10-08-2020, 04:41 AM
Not really a thing out here.

The OP lives in a town of 35,000 people that has 5 marijuana dispensaries and not a single gun shop. There isn't a single place in his town to buy handguns, or powder, or components.

He can drive 8 miles over to Idaho to another town of 25,000 that also does not have a single stand-alone gun shop. There is exactly ONE place in that town to buy firearms or components.

He has two choices to buy ammo or components with any degree of selection. He can drive to Lewiston, which is 30 miles away. Or, he can drive to Spokane, which is about 70 miles away.

I know of one "gun club" in the entire region, and it is out in the middle of nowhere in Idaho and is a skeet club comprised of a bunch of old farmers.

Another thing of note is that the closest freely accessible shooting range is in Lewiston, ID (the 30min drive), so range time is precious out here. Fun Fact! It's CCI's Headquarters! Not to mention, the headquarters of the venerable Thunder Jet Aluminum Fishing Boats!
There are multiple gun stores in Lewiston, but like every other gun store in the country, they are suffering the same shortages.

Idaho Mule
10-09-2020, 10:38 AM
Just saw this thread this morning. You are getting great advice in "buy a manual". I am close, 10 miles North of Moscow and would be happy to help you. I've only been reloading for a little over 50 years so I'm still learning too. PM me and I'll try to help.

Three44s
10-10-2020, 03:56 AM
I have 1lb of Winchester 231 when it comes to powder. I'm minimizing the amount of powder I have in my apartment for safety's sake. I did the math and that single pound of powder will last me more than 1500 rounds if I use middle of the road loads for my 158gr SWC boolits coated with Hi-Tek I had purchased from Hoosier Bullets. They had rounded out to about 10 cents per bullet including shipping for 655 bullets, so they were a very competitive deal.

I have a Lyman Digital Scale and a Lee Precision Powder scale, as well. I don't have a powder Measure, so learning how to use one with my local Boolit Buddy will be something that's on my list.

Since I've already sized and expanded all of my brass, I believe that the safest option is filling one case with a measure of powder, and IMMEDIATELY seating a bullet onto it, so that there is no chance you can double charge in the first place.

Trust me, I do plenty of the charge it and place and seat a bullet right there and then, but not for something like 38 Special.

For handgun loading, I prefer by far to charge load block at a time with a powder measure and in the case of a newbie, use a bulkier powder such as Unique rather than a more compact one like 231 so that a double charge is much more evident ..... then use .... for a newbie, the pencil trick on entire block, charged case by case. Then seat the block at one process.

I get better consistency with HG doing “block” at a time.

While saving money is important, the added safety of Unique at this stage of your loading for a small added cost over 231 is more important IMO.

The Lee Perfect measure with Unique would be my choice to get into the powder measure game cheap. The finer grained powders may leak however from it, but as you grow the number and kinds of cartridges you load, that Lee measure will always fit here and there.

For the finest powders and where it will work in rifle powders, my RCBS Uniflows are my main go to. But much more expensive.

Three44s

VariableRecall
10-10-2020, 06:49 AM
Trust me, I do plenty of the charge it and place and seat a bullet right there and then, but not for something like 38 Special.

The Lee Perfect measure with Unique would be my choice to get into the powder measure game cheap. The finer grained powders may leak however from it, but as you grow the number and kinds of cartridges you load, that Lee measure will always fit here and there.

For the finest powders and where it will work in rifle powders, my RCBS Uniflows are my main go to. But much more expensive.

Three44s

What what I had seen, the powder charges by weight makes 231 almost identical to unique. The Win 231 was purchased out of necessity. It was the only powder that was available at my local sporting goods store. From the various load manuals that I've seen, 231 works well in almost any handgun cartridge, quite a bit like unique. Is the only difference of the two powders just "bulk", or volume, while the weight remains just about the same?

Bazoo
10-10-2020, 04:34 PM
Unique is somewhat bulkier than 231. 231 is a good powder. But because it's smaller in volume, the potential exists that you'll inadvertently put two charges of powder in a case and not realize. This would blow your gun up. With a double charge of unique it would nearly overflow the case, and be quite obvious.

The way you prevent this is having safe reloading practices. Don't charge cases when distractions are prevalent. Charge each case and stand in a loading block, once their all charged look in each with a flashlight, making sure the powder charge is at the same level in all. That suggestion is straight out of the Lyman manual.

I started in 38 special with titegroup, which has similar bulk as 231.

VariableRecall
10-10-2020, 04:52 PM
Unique is somewhat bulkier than 231. 231 is a good powder. But because it's smaller in volume, the potential exists that you'll inadvertently put two charges of powder in a case and not realize. This would blow your gun up. With a double charge of unique it would nearly overflow the case, and be quite obvious.

The way you prevent this is having safe reloading practices. Don't charge cases when distractions are prevalent. Charge each case and stand in a loading block, once their all charged look in each with a flashlight, making sure the powder charge is at the same level in all. That suggestion is straight out of the Lyman manual.

I started in 38 special with titegroup, which has similar bulk as 231.

OK! Should I purchase a pound of Unique in the immediate future, or should I just work my way through the pound of 231 until I purchase another?

Bazoo
10-10-2020, 05:28 PM
I'd use the 231 personally. If you're going to be attentive, you should have no issues. However, using unique won't make up for unsafe practices. Fact is, you're in control, not the powder.

VariableRecall
10-10-2020, 05:36 PM
I'd use the 231 personally. If you're going to be attentive, you should have no issues. However, using unique won't make up for unsafe practices. Fact is, you're in control, not the powder.

Thank you for the tip! I'm just glad I've got any powder in the first place.

Idaho45guy
10-12-2020, 05:35 AM
Thank you for the tip! I'm just glad I've got any powder in the first place.

I swear I saw Unique and 231 at Tri-state last week... They are still getting in powder pretty regularly.

As for shooting ranges...

I'm blessed in that I can go to my dad's house in the country North of Potlatch and shoot up to 100 yards from an indoor bench. You can also drive into Idaho and head into the woods via Potlatch and shoot all you want in the woods.

However, I found a gravel pit a couple of miles outside of Palouse that I've shot at a few times to check a new pistol out.

If you drive the 14 miles to Palouse, then take the road to Colfax (SR 272), the gravel pit is a couple of miles out of town on the right. The larger pit is posted and gated, but the smaller one is not and I always make sure to police the area and leave it as pristine or better than I found it. Never had an issue.

I've attached a satellite image and the gravel pit is marked with a white marker on the image.

Let me know if you want to meet up for an impromptu range session and I can escort you to the pit.

Mr_Sheesh
10-12-2020, 10:37 AM
I'm on the wet side too, glad it looks like you are finding help :)

Wayne Smith
10-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Don't be afraid to use any powder for which you have appropriate data. There are good, better, and best, but if you have data what you have will work. Given limited powder availability, and I'm assuming limited funds as well, use what you have. If you have the funds be sure to stock up when you can.

popper
10-12-2020, 11:15 AM
Start with jacketed bullets first! Glue a wire around a used shell and measure the weight of powder YOU need (book load) in the case. You can fill the case with melted wax or grind down the top to get a good fixed measure. Or you could get one of the electronic trickler powder dispensers. Hand held press will work but you might need 3 hands. Or a simple single stage press bolted to a board when is then C clamped to a table. Hornady hand primer will last forever.
Then you will load your own, go to the range and hold the gun at a distance looking away from the gun, pull the trigger - bang. You have all body parts intact and feel confident you did good.
Now you are 'hooked'. after a few more down range, read about casting, you'll test new powders, a melter pot, lots a neat stuff to spend $$ on. Sucker!
Now for serious, you need to experience the task of loading and success before putting a lot of funds into it. If you like to reload, then investigate the better tools for it. There is lots of 'stuff' out there to buy that you may or may not need and some of it really is junk. In the current 'election' year you might get a few bargains but everythng is quite pricey now.

VariableRecall
10-12-2020, 01:18 PM
Start with jacketed bullets first! Glue a wire around a used shell and measure the weight of powder YOU need (book load) in the case. You can fill the case with melted wax or grind down the top to get a good fixed measure. Or you could get one of the electronic trickler powder dispensers. Hand held press will work but you might need 3 hands. Or a simple single stage press bolted to a board when is then C clamped to a table. Hornady hand primer will last forever.
Then you will load your own, go to the range and hold the gun at a distance looking away from the gun, pull the trigger - bang. You have all body parts intact and feel confident you did good.
Now you are 'hooked'. after a few more down range, read about casting, you'll test new powders, a melter pot, lots a neat stuff to spend $$ on. Sucker!
Now for serious, you need to experience the task of loading and success before putting a lot of funds into it. If you like to reload, then investigate the better tools for it. There is lots of 'stuff' out there to buy that you may or may not need and some of it really is junk. In the current 'election' year you might get a few bargains but everythng is quite pricey now.

The exact point of all this is to find someone with equipment that I may get in the future to figure out what would work best for me, as well as starting everything out under a little more than zero supervision from an experienced person.

Turns out IdahoMule lives only an easy drive away, and I'll be certain to figure out a time to meet and try some equipment out!

Idaho45guy
10-14-2020, 02:33 AM
Here are the images from the gravel pit I occasionally use outside of Palouse...

VariableRecall
10-14-2020, 02:40 AM
Here are the images from the gravel pit I occasionally use outside of Palouse...

Thank you very much for the pictures! That narrows down my search a great deal!

memtb
10-15-2020, 11:31 AM
When I first saw the thread title.....I read “couch”! I thought to myself......”Now here’s a man that likes to be comfortable when he’s reloading”! :bigsmyl2: memtb

VariableRecall
10-15-2020, 02:35 PM
When I first saw the thread title.....I read “couch”! I thought to myself......”Now here’s a man that likes to be comfortable when he’s reloading”! :bigsmyl2: memtb

Given my rather small apartment space, I've been using my computer chair as a comfortable seat for reloading work. Kind of weird to use a hand press standing up.