PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 87A question

mazo kid
10-03-2020, 09:03 PM
A friend recently gave me a Stevens 87A in decent shape. Since I wasn't familiar with the rifle, I did some searches, mainly to find out about operating the rifle. It is sometimes called the "click-clack" rifle because of the action. My question is about different model designations. Since mine is an 87A, I am assuming it is an early model. Can someone explain the different models please? Thanks.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-03-2020, 09:37 PM
I can do so, but it will take a little while to research it. If you've got a copy of The Blue Book of Gun Values, or can access one it's laid out quite well. Also take a look at The Gun Trader's Guide. To complicate the matter, the same model was sold under the Savage and Springfield names. I'm glad you've got a good one, because they are one of the firearms known as "the gunsmith's friend." If used enough they will all, sooner or later, need repair. Their operation is a tricky balance of springs, and parts are getting hard to find. I worked on several of them, and hated to see them come in the door. However, when working properly they're a fun gun to shoot.

mazo kid
10-04-2020, 11:22 AM
Thank you, mine is a Savage-Stevens. Interesting to know they can come with problems.

BigAlofPa.
10-04-2020, 11:59 AM
I have one in the 87c model. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

Drm50
10-04-2020, 12:07 PM
The older series of 87s are built like a tank. The last couple I had were in for broken trigger guards. They are accurate old rifles and seem so heavy they soak the sound out of 22LR. Even trigger guards are hard to come by. I sold my last in stock on this forum.

alfadan
10-04-2020, 05:46 PM
When worn, they can have a habit of going full auto, though mine only did about 3 or 4 rounds at a time.

gnoahhh
10-04-2020, 06:34 PM
When worn, they can have a habit of going full auto, though mine only did about 3 or 4 rounds at a time.

Hah! Good to know. Maybe I'll shoot mine more to try and wear it out some more!

Der Gebirgsjager
10-04-2020, 08:11 PM

This is true. But usually one of the less baffling problems to solve. The sear is pushed up by a spring every shot as the bolt rides over it and engages a notch/ledge machined into the bolt body. The fix is usually a good cleaning and a new spring. But, I've had them that required a new bolt and the problem had gone on for an apparently long time, and the sharp edge of the notch had become rounded. Filing the notch to restore the edge will seldom cure the problem, because the metal is gone.

beagle
10-12-2020, 11:05 PM
Mine did that too and then would jam. Was stolen my last year in high school. I didn't cry very long when it was gone. Bet the guy that got it was disappointed./beagle

alfadan
10-13-2020, 12:38 PM
Come to think of it, it jams the cartridge into the top of the breech very often too. Ill have to start playing around with it more

pietro
10-13-2020, 12:54 PM

My then new wife bought me a new (samo-samo) Springfield 187A for our first Christmas together (55 years ago) - and I loved it for quite awhile.

I only retired it in favor of the (then) recently-introduced Ruger 10/22 because I wanted a detachable magazine .22 autoloader.

In constant use (at least twice a week) over several years, my 187A never had a bobble, and remained dependable & fairly accurate to boot.

https://thefirearmsforum.s3.amazonaws.com/2015/07/162739_c3bf503a2b4b0aa752ee82d7d9a4c6a4.jpg

smkummer
10-14-2020, 07:19 PM
My father-in-laws is a store brand of the Stevens. Bought right after WW2. When I cleaned it about 15 years ago, I don’t think he ever cleaned it. It runs good now and yes, you can hear the 2 sounds of the action.

Texas by God
10-15-2020, 12:15 AM
The "Gill Gun" is fun when it's working and going clack- clack, but they are no fun to repair when they aren't. I have repaired two older ones and they were hair pullers. Recently a co worker got a late production one that was just filthy inside. I removed the stock and plastic parts and blasted the guts with carb cleaner, then oiled it and reassembled it. Then I enjoyed clack- clacking several mag fulls of ammo. If it ain't broke....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

abunaitoo
10-15-2020, 03:04 AM
I have one of those.
Springfield.
Interesting action.
Single shot or semi auto.
Bolt holds open, after the shot, until you release the trigger.
Click-clack sound.
The one I have works fine.
Accurate.
Looking for a peep sight for it.
Hard to find.

KCSO
10-15-2020, 10:08 AM
Every time Savage changed a screw size they gave the gun a different model number, they all work the same and have the same design but the parts can be a tad off.