PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca 4E Trap Gun

richhodg66
10-03-2020, 08:53 PM
A while back, I poseted about a dedicated trap gun. Still not sure I want to div real deep into the competition world, but I had this one of my Dad's who shot for a few years, but was never a real serious trap shooter. It's an Ithaca 4E (I think, looking at similar ones on the web) and I took it to the range and shot it for the first time this afternoon. Shot two rounds, first I hit 17 which is about a normal round for me anymore. The second round I hit 21 which is only one less than my best ever. It's pretty clear this is a better tool for the task than the short, open choked 16 gauge I've been using.

This is a really nice gun. It hadn't been shot for probably 20+ years. I think I'll hold off on pursuing a dedicated trap gun for a while now and mess with this one, though I really like the idea of using a hunting shotgun at the range.

rking22
10-03-2020, 09:45 PM
I think that’s a good choice, especially since it was your dad’s gun. It was purpose built for the task, an a classic to boot! I like shooting clays with field guns. Shot 4 rounds of skeet today. 20 gage Iver Johnson SxS first, then my Rem M17. Man full choke makes smoke balls! Then started out with my Flight King 410, shooting buddy thought I needed to try his 11-48 skeet 410 cause I was shooting full again! Who am I to argue, sweet gun! Dropped high 3 being lazy then hi 7 of all things for a 23, pretty much my norm nowadays. Turns out he wanted to sell it, yep it’s mine now.
Everybody else shoots target guns on these outings, I like my field guns. Now I have a target gun that I like too. Haven’t shot a long recoil gun in decades, thing cycles slower than my pumps! Kinda cool and really cute.
Shoot your dads gun a couple rounds then shoot your hunting gun for fun. Best of both worlds. Main thing, have fun with it, try some skeet with that SxS too.

Geezer in NH
10-03-2020, 10:23 PM
NICE!!!! classy but very useful IMHO

6pt-sika
10-04-2020, 10:48 AM
I think that’s a good choice, especially since it was your dad’s gun. It was purpose built for the task, an a classic to boot! I like shooting clays with field guns. Shot 4 rounds of skeet today. 20 gage Iver Johnson SxS first, then my Rem M17. Man full choke makes smoke balls! Then started out with my Flight King 410, shooting buddy thought I needed to try his 11-48 skeet 410 cause I was shooting full again! Who am I to argue, sweet gun! Dropped high 3 being lazy then hi 7 of all things for a 23, pretty much my norm nowadays. Turns out he wanted to sell it, yep it’s mine now.
Everybody else shoots target guns on these outings, I like my field guns. Now I have a target gun that I like too. Haven’t shot a long recoil gun in decades, thing cycles slower than my pumps! Kinda cool and really cute.
Shoot your dads gun a couple rounds then shoot your hunting gun for fun. Best of both worlds. Main thing, have fun with it, try some skeet with that SxS too.
You need to find an 11-48 28 to go with the 410 ! I’ve always liked 11-48’s especially in 16-28-410 only down side is having to pick up hulls . Got an IJ SxS I shoot from time to time it’s a little 410 I do fair to middlin with it but not as well as I do with a little Superposed 410 and not as well as I would with a true tubed skeet gun .

W.R.Buchanan
10-04-2020, 04:35 PM
Rich: could you post a picture of that gun?. I think we'd all be interested in seeing it.

As far as picking up hulls off the ground,, get one of these with the suction cups. $10 at Harbor Freight. Best $10 I've spent on this hobby. No need to bend over.

Randy

richhodg66
10-04-2020, 10:08 PM
Rich: could you post a picture of that gun?. I think we'd all be interested in seeing it.

As far as picking up hulls off the ground,, get one of these with the suction cups. $10 at Harbor Freight. Best $10 I've spent on this hobby. No need to bend over.

Randy

I'm not real good with cameras, but it looks very similar to this one, the engraving pattern is a bit different and the logo has a pointing spaniel rather than the hunter or eagle all the ones on Gunbroker have. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876866139

There are a few of these on Gunbroker at any given time with pretty high asking prices, but no one is bidding on them. It's a really nice gun, too nice really, I'm almost afraid to take it out. I'll have to ask Dad the story on it if he can remember, but I suspect (knowing my Dad) that he got it in some kind of bundled deal at one of the gun shows he frequented and then realized he had a good trap gun, that probably made him decide to take up Trap for a while. The man was a fiercely competitive Bullseye pistol shooter and won quite a few state level championships with Gold Cups and Match Target Woodsmans (he was a Colt guy, when most of the winners were using High Standards at the time it seems), but to the best of my knowledge, he never got serious about any other kind of competitive shooting. I was away from home doing my own thing when he took up Trap that few years so wasn't real in touch with what he was doing. I'm a little surprised he held onto it all these years. Seems like a lot of the guns he had long term that I'd have guessed he'd be more attached to than this one went down the road at some point. I'm kinda glad he kept it.

rking22
10-04-2020, 10:29 PM
I got to handle one and shoot a few with it about 15 years ago. Very nice gun, from a different time. The guys that assembled those guns were more skilled than 95% of the “gun smiths” around now. They knew their products and had the skill to hand fit every single one. That IJ SxS of mine was a work of art inside. All the parts were well hardened, polished, and showed signs of being stoned to fit! I have not been inside an Ithaca of that period but suspect it would be an order of magnitude better. They really don’t make them like that anymore! Shoot it and enjoy, would be great if you could post your dads thoughts on shooting comp with it.

6pt-sika
10-04-2020, 11:05 PM
I'm not real good with cameras, but it looks very similar to this one, the engraving pattern is a bit different and the logo has a pointing spaniel rather than the hunter or eagle all the ones on Gunbroker have. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876866139

There are a few of these on Gunbroker at any given time with pretty high asking prices, but no one is bidding on them. It's a really nice gun, too nice really, I'm almost afraid to take it out. I'll have to ask Dad the story on it if he can remember, but I suspect (knowing my Dad) that he got it in some kind of bundled deal at one of the gun shows he frequented and then realized he had a good trap gun, that probably made him decide to take up Trap for a while. The man was a fiercely competitive Bullseye pistol shooter and won quite a few state level championships with Gold Cups and Match Target Woodsmans (he was a Colt guy, when most of the winners were using High Standards at the time it seems), but to the best of my knowledge, he never got serious about any other kind of competitive shooting. I was away from home doing my own thing when he took up Trap that few years so wasn't real in touch with what he was doing. I'm a little surprised he held onto it all these years. Seems like a lot of the guns he had long term that I'd have guessed he'd be more attached to than this one went down the road at some point. I'm kinda glad he kept it.

The Ithaca in your link has the same engraving as the one I own at the moment .

6pt-sika
10-04-2020, 11:07 PM
I got to handle one and shoot a few with it about 15 years ago. Very nice gun, from a different time. The guys that assembled those guns were more skilled than 95% of the “gun smiths” around now. They knew their products and had the skill to hand fit every single one. That IJ SxS of mine was a work of art inside. All the parts were well hardened, polished, and showed signs of being stoned to fit! I have not been inside an Ithaca of that period but suspect it would be an order of magnitude better. They really don’t make them like that anymore! Shoot it and enjoy, would be great if you could post your dads thoughts on shooting comp with it.
I’ve had my paws on a number of IJ SxS Skeeters all we’re 16 , 20 and 410 . I’ve seen another in 28 for sale . The IJ 410 I have is the field grade not a skeeter grade .

MT Chambers
10-04-2020, 11:17 PM
The Ithaca 4E is a classic Trapgun, not used anymore in Comp. as most are loose if used much and I wouldn't do that to a treasured gun. Use it for practice but for comp. where you are shooting hundreds of shells a day, I'd get something more modern that will hold up ie: Alfermann, Ljutic, Cole, Seitz.

skeettx
10-05-2020, 12:03 AM
Great post and thread
Keep shooting well :)

richhodg66
10-05-2020, 07:23 AM
The Ithaca 4E is a classic Trapgun, not used anymore in Comp. as most are loose if used much and I wouldn't do that to a treasured gun. Use it for practice but for comp. where you are shooting hundreds of shells a day, I'd get something more modern that will hold up ie: Alfermann, Ljutic, Cole, Seitz.

I've been thinking that too. I highly doubt I'll ever get to the level of shooting hundreds or thousands of rounds a week like real serious trap shooters do. I would hate to do any damage to this one. It really is very well made, locks up nice and tight. I guess it's the handloader in me, but I really don't like ejectors and would prefer that this one simply extracted, but not a big deal.

W.R.Buchanan
10-05-2020, 12:32 PM
If the lever is to the right of center when the gun is closed, it is tight. Center getting worn, and to the left it is loose and needs service.

Randy