PDA

View Full Version : Is this where I introduce myself?

mike britton
10-03-2020, 11:21 AM
I'm guessing this may be where I introduce myself.
Mike Britton here, 73, been in a gun/LE family all my life. Drafted in 69. The Army in it's infinite wisdom decided that I was physically unfit for combat so they put me in HHQ, 5th Engr.Bttn., Fort Leonard Wood and I drove a truck and sharpened my drinking skills.
I spent a lot of time in motorsports, Top Fuel, flat track, Sprint Cars.
NRA Endowment, TSRA Life. Spent some time shooting NRA Hi-Power, and Palma until cataracts put a stop to that.
I like to collect antique firearms, especially .22 target rifles. Lots of Marlins...

I don't care how it looks so much as how it shoots!

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-03-2020, 11:50 AM
Welcome aboard.
DO you cast?

pjames32
10-03-2020, 11:52 AM
Welcome!

fast ronnie
10-03-2020, 11:56 AM
Welcome aboard. Sounds like we may have few things in common. 68 yrs old, drafted in 72 but spent my time at Sam Houston as a non-combatant medic. Currently race a Top Fuel Blown 4 cylinder dragbike on the left coast.

Lots of great people here and they are always helpful.

mike britton
10-03-2020, 12:07 PM
Thanks, guys! But after reading the 3 pages of Taffer's issue with the mods, and the rules I AGREED TO, I may want to find another forum. Thanks all......

Winger Ed.
10-03-2020, 12:17 PM
Thanks, guys! But after reading the 3 pages of Taffer's issue with the mods, and the rules I AGREED TO, I may want to find another forum. Thanks all......

Welcome aboard.

As far as the rules--
I figure its like when I joined the Service in '73. I joined them, they didn't join me.
Don't post anything you wouldn't want your grandkids to read, and you'll be fine.

GregLaROCHE
10-03-2020, 12:28 PM
Welcome to the forum. There’s a lot more here than just casting. Have a look around. It’s interesting to search topics that interest you in past posts.

Chad5005
10-03-2020, 12:36 PM
welcome to the sight.Great group of very knowledgeable people on here

Minerat
10-03-2020, 01:06 PM
Welcome aboard!

We hope you find this a family oriented place that you can learn about casting and other enlighten subjects. Read the rules, keep your posts clean, and if you have to say it don't try to disguise the word just spell it out and our highly efficient word censor will catch it for you.

Not casting yet, look in the reloading, shooting or black powder areas. You can spend hours just reading threads in those sections. Ask questions many have been answered multiple times but there are no dumb ones. Someone will get you an answer or direct you to a thread(s) where the subject is discussed in detail.

Participate in discussions that interest you, you need 30 meaningful posts and 30 days before you can sell in Swapin & Sellin but you can buy if you find something you may need. The Pit is where most problems occur so be careful if you choose to post in there. Personally many posts I type in there get deleted before I hit submit reply because they are not fit for human consumption.[smilie=1:

I think you will fit in well. We don't tolerate insulting or boorish behavior or trolling so I hope you will find it a pleasant experience.

Again welcome to Cast Boolits!

gbrown
10-03-2020, 01:35 PM
Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't judge us by 1 person's activity/difficulties. Look at the thread on "Our Town " titled The kinds of people we have here. Its a diverse group with generous and friendly attitudes. Ready to help anyone with a problem. The amount of knowledge of our chosen hobbies is just staggering. Hang out and learn about any of the various topics here. Mods only exist to keep it civil and orderly. After 11 years, never heard from them. I have had some snide remarks put to me and heard from people who didn't have a clue to what I had experience with. Always told by my grandmothers and mother, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Laugh and keep on going.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-03-2020, 01:41 PM
Welcome aboard!

We hope you find this a family oriented place that you can learn about casting and other enlighten subjects. Read the rules, keep your posts clean, and if you have to say it don't try to disguise the word just spell it out and our highly efficient word censor will catch it for you.

Not casting yet, look in the reloading, shooting or black powder areas. You can spend hours just reading threads in those sections. Ask questions many have been answered multiple times but there are no dumb ones. Someone will get you an answer or direct you to a thread(s) where the subject is discussed in detail.

Participate in discussions that interest you, you need 30 meaningful posts and 30 days before you can sell in Swapin & Sellin but you can buy if you find something you may need. The Pit is where most problems occur so be careful if you choose to post in there. Personally many posts I type in there get deleted before I hit submit reply because they are not fit for human consumption.[smilie=1:

I think you will fit in well. We don't tolerate insulting or boorish behavior or trolling so I hope you will find it a pleasant experience.

Again welcome to Cast Boolits!

There's not a single word I could add to this excellent advice! :grin:

StuBach
10-03-2020, 02:28 PM
This is an amazing group of guys. I’ve been a member for several years now and am on the younger side of the group at 37 but can’t say how valuable this forum has been for me. I do agree, there are some who run into trouble with Mods and some of the rules are a little odd but overall be kind, stay positive, and be polite in your language (1970s polite not 2020 polite) you will be fine.

Avoid the pit if you can, lots of enthusiastic conversations there that can get out of hand sometimes.

Personally, I have actually made real world friends and mentors through this group and love being a member. Mods have been forgiving of my gaffs and warned when I broke a rule I didn’t realize.

Stay a while and see for yourself. You’ll end up like most of us, checking back regularly during the day.

PS. Another 22 collector here with an affinity to restoring beat up Mossbergs and collecting Winchester 52s.

smithnframe
10-03-2020, 06:17 PM
Welcome from Shiner!

samari46
10-04-2020, 01:11 AM
Welcome aboard. Enlisted in the Navy in 1964 right out of high school. Spent a little over 3 years on the same ship. Got out of active duty and into the inactive reserve. Spent the next 30 years working for the same company. Getting back into casting for my Moisins and starting on some cast bullets for a 1898 Krag and a couple 30-06's. Been here since Aimoo, Shooters,and now Castboolits. Good bunch of folks here and plenty of forums to keep you interested. And as I'm a member of other forums more than a few times I see recommendations to come here for info. Frank

VariableRecall
10-04-2020, 04:49 AM
I'm actually pretty darn young compared to most in this community. I've only just turned 25, towards the tail end of college now turned inside out due to all of the COIVD business. Never heard of this forum until it was recommended by someone else I knew. My family doesn't really approve of reloading until I'm out on my own but considering global events I think it's a darn good idea to get started learning (And doing) reloading now.

William Yanda
10-04-2020, 08:12 AM
Welcome. I can relate to your situation, born in '47, joined the army by special invite in '71. I spent my time at Ft Lost in the Woods in 2 week increments as a 12H, mostly down on the river.
This is a good bunch to hang out with, although they do tend to be enablers.
Bill

waksupi
10-04-2020, 10:42 AM

You my want to go to Traffers's profile and look at started topics. You will find he did a mea culpa afterwards.

bedbugbilly
10-04-2020, 10:46 AM
Welcome! So you don't cast? Tsk! Tsk! Don't tell anyone, but I'm thinking that there are quite a few on here that don't cast. :-) A good group here and lots of information of all types no matter what your interest is in shooting. Grab a cup of coffee, kick back and just start going through the various forums and posts and you'l soon find that there is a world of information here - something for everyone. Enjoy!

mike britton
10-05-2020, 10:46 AM
I used to cast. I left my last auto parts counter job with a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weight.
But when that was done I was already working for Deere and now I find that the wheel weights are not only reused, they are no longer lead!
I'm not even sure where my stuff is anymore, and since I do almost every local gunshow with a friend who has tables I have access to lots of cast products.
So where does your lead come from? I am about out of bullets for my .45/70 and .30-30.
I have a really nice Savage .303 SMLE sporter with a perfect bore. It shoots jacketed with nice tight groups, but everyone tells me that it might shoot cast even better. So there is that.
I came here looking for information on the NEF single, but after lurking here for a bit this may be fun place to sit with my coffee and learn. Thanks all....Mike Britton

StuBach
10-05-2020, 10:59 AM
But when that was done I was already working for Deere and now I find that the wheel weights are not only reused, they are no longer lead!
I'm not even sure where my stuff is anymore, and since I do almost every local gunshow with a friend who has tables I have access to lots of cast products.

So where does your lead come from?

Glad you’re choosing to stay.

A couple of good sources are local auto shops. Depending on your region you may see higher or lower percentage of lead vs zinc but you check them with wire snips to see if they cut before melting (easy to cut=lead, hard/impossible to cut= something else). Local shops tend to be easier to get on board than dealerships and large chains but sometimes you get lucky and worst thing you get when you ask is “no”.

Mining your local outdoor gun range back berms has also worked for many. Some ranges will let you do this for free. Details on how to do effectively can be found in other threads.

Scrap yards often do well and if you have a public one and the time to spare, you can go and sort all the zinc/steel weights on site before leaving so you have less waste when processing. Also good to look for sheets of lead flashing and what not for even easier work (but you’ll need to sweeten it with tin/antimony cause it tends to be pure soft or close to it).

Make sure when you process you flux a lot cause these sources tend to be very dirty and you don’t want that in your production pot or ladle.

You can also source clean lead here more often than not. Lots of guys are processing more than they need and they sell their excess on here for reasonable prices.

Sometimes you can source reasonable prices on eBay but you often don’t know exactly what your getting and lots of horror stories of getting zinc ingots.

Last option is sourcing virgin lead from local foundries or online. RotoMetals.com is a good source if you have the money.

Hope this helps.

mike britton
10-05-2020, 01:02 PM
Thanks StuBach,
I think if I go back to casting I will buy here. You guys seem more trustworthy.
At this point in time I am not shooting enough to cast my own. I can buy here or at the shows, no more than I go through.
There will be a lot to learn here, and that is what I will enjoy the most.
My stint in Hi-Power had me reloading waaay more than I wanted. If I never reload another .308 I will be a happy boy! Having said that, I recently reloaded a group of .30-30's in different loads and cast bullets and really enjoyed that task.

tunnug
10-05-2020, 01:54 PM
Welcome Mike, lots of good info and people on this site, sending you a PM on the NEF.

merlin101
10-05-2020, 02:23 PM
Welcome Mike, Lots of good info here and it's really not hard to get along here. If you lean to the left you may want to stay out of the politics section! Most here lean right :) but as long as it guns/shooting/casting/loading we all seem to get along!

woodbutcher
10-05-2020, 10:10 PM
[smilie=s: Welcome aboard Sir.Thanks for your service.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

mike britton
10-06-2020, 12:25 AM
"If you lean to the left you may want to stay out of the politics section!"
I do lean to the left, but it's because of an old flat track injury. Has nothing to do with my political bent. Been a life member since 1978, been an endowment member for couple of years now.
Became old enough to vote in 1969. Since, I have never voted for a democrat.
It's all about the 2nd amendment, and whoever protects it.

FarNorth45
10-06-2020, 03:31 AM
"If you lean to the left you may want to stay out of the politics section!"
I do lean to the left, but it's because of an old flat track injury. Has nothing to do with my political bent. Been a life member since 1978, been an endowment member for couple of years now.
Became old enough to vote in 1969. Since, I have never voted for a democrat.
It's all about the 2nd amendment, and whoever protects it.
Welcome Mike......... now that you brought that up , I'm kinda glad it was my right ankle that i exploded riding Motocross!!!!! I'm now feeling a little more matched leaning to the right Ha!ha

lightman
10-06-2020, 10:37 AM
Welcome Aboard! And Thanks for your Service.

Minerat covered it pretty well. You won't have any trouble here if you just keep everything civil. Don't post any dirty words and don't use symbols or other letters to spell dirty words. Disagreements are allowed if done in a friendly or respectful manner.

Enough about rules. You ask about lead. Wheelweights are still available in many parts of the country, although scarce in other parts. And they make good bullets as is. Talk with your mechanics, tire store guys, ect. The guys that sell here in the Swapping and Selling Section are honest and sell at fair prices if you have to buy lead. My local tire guy is good for about a bucket a month and they are still running 60-70% lead. Many of us mine the berms and bullet traps where we shoot. If you go the wheelweight route there are a few stickies about sorting them that are helpful.

Again, Welcome Aboard.

mike britton
10-07-2020, 08:49 AM
Thanks! I may go talk to my indoor range, there are a ton of .22 shooters there.

StuBach
10-08-2020, 05:43 PM
Hey Mike,
One last great reason to enjoy the forum. If you aren’t planning to cast for yourself but there’s a design your interested in trying, post up on the swapping and selling forum a WTB (want to buy) thread asking for the design your interested in. Many of us keep extra on hand, or have no problem casting up some extra, to sell for fair pricing. Helps us all expand our horizons without investing in every mold out there. If you find one or two you love you can see if one of the sponsored vendors or other members would be willing to cast in quantity for you or maybe opt to take the plunge then. Try before you buy.

Note: you do have to meet the minimum membership requirements before posting on swapping and selling but they aren’t too hard to hit.