PDA

View Full Version : WTB // Dillon SBD die ser .32 S&W Long

rudyc
10-02-2020, 08:31 PM
Looking for a set of Dillon SDB die set in .32 S&W Long
Thanks

mister gizmo
10-03-2020, 07:22 AM
Not a common caliber for the SDB. Will you be able to load the small amounts of ball powder needed?
Plenty of "reasonable" BBWC and HBWC lead available, both swaged and cast.

Another possible problem is that the best target loads require two different dies for seating and crimping. Don't think the SDB can handle that.

Seating is usually separated from crimping, so as to get a slight roll or taper crimp cartridge.

Good luck! I love this caliber for centerfire target shooting.

myg30
10-03-2020, 09:54 AM
SDB does seperate seating and crimping. Also has 2 seat stems WC and RN
Small powder charge bar takes care of small charges.
I don’t load 32 but if Dillon makes it you can load it.

Mike

mister gizmo
10-04-2020, 08:24 AM
Mike, I agree with you up to a point. I've been loading target-quality .32S&W-L loads for decades on my 550. The SDB will require an Extra Small Charge Bar for loading ball powders under 3 grains.

For my purpose, I bought and use a Redding Special Taper Crimp Die for the 4th stage. The 3rd stage is to seat only.
My post is just to clarify the possible extra cost for the reloader.

myg30
10-04-2020, 10:38 AM
No harm meant or intended. I just wanted to point out the seperate die stages. Some folks just knock the sdb for the other color, but I see now your a fan of the blue.
You both have now got my curiosity up on 32 s&w. At my age now the hard recoil of the big guns
Is going by the wayside and the lighter recoiling guns are coming out more often. I know I can down load them but kinda defeats the purpose in my eyes of the big magnums.

Good luck in your search rudyc, I’m sure one will turn up here soon.
Mods, sorry if we made this a chat.

Mike

mister gizmo
10-04-2020, 01:25 PM
I wasn't aware of the fourth stage on the SDB, so thanks!

Actually, I was at Dillon's operation and met Mike (great guy) some 40+ years ago, when attending the National Internationals Pistol Championships in Scottsdale AZ. I bought the 450 immediately and went to the 550 soon after because I was competitively shooting .38 spl and .32 S&W-L for centerfire 900s and .45acp lead and hardball. Can't go wrong w/Dillon.

Best of success "at your age".