PDA

View Full Version : Here's my plans for Bear/Deer season, all 4 tags filled with Single Shot rifles

koger
10-02-2020, 11:08 AM
Well it may sound ambitous, but I am planning on filling all 4 Deer tags with single shot rifles and cast bullets this year. I will be using a 8x58R with the Lee slug, weighing 245grs, GC. I will also be using a 38/55 HI wall, with the lee slug weighing 265 grs. Both of these loads are running 1700 or better, and tack drivers. I am also planning on hunting with a Trapdoor 50/70 made in 1868, with a 500gr slug, and a Husqvarna 12.17x44R with peep sights with the same slug. I will keep the shots under 150 with the two .50's and feel pretty good about the other 2 out to 250. All of these guns, will shoot under or into 1 1/2 inches sandbagged at 100yds. It will involve going to another county to fill my 2 doe tags, that are bow only in my zone, but 40 minutes away, I have great public land hunting, does running every where and a couple of buddies who have private hunting in these zones, who love to get the does thinned out. I have filled all 4 tags, numerous years, with a bow only, and several of those years, were with a recurve. I think it will be a blast.

Also we have a upcoming bear season, in 2 weeks, rifle with dog chase season, and a buddy and I are planning on trying to tag team 2 during the season. We have some showing up on trail cams nearly every day, morning and evening, and we stand a good chance of treeing them with his plot hounds. I will be using a Hi wall Browning with some 350 gr Gould HP's I cast and PC and have them running about 1800fps.
Am I being too ambitious? If I get a good bear, size wise, I wont have room for 4 deer and the wife usually killing 2, but I have some neighbor's who live on a fixed income, who will be glad to get a deer for their larder.

white eagle
10-02-2020, 11:33 AM
sounds like a very good plan
best of luck

Texas by God
10-02-2020, 01:15 PM
To the hunt! Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

hc18flyer
10-02-2020, 01:44 PM
Man! I'm coming over to your place! I wish I had as many opportunities! Good luck, Tom

RKJ
10-02-2020, 01:55 PM
Better to be optimistic than pessimistic. Sounds like a good plan and a load of fun anyway.

Mk42gunner
10-02-2020, 10:11 PM
I don't think you are being overly ambitious, I would venture to say that I have put more meat in the freezer or fur rack with a single shot (rifle or shotgun) than I have with a repeater.

Robert

ChristopherO
10-05-2020, 02:51 PM
Sounds like a great plan, Sam. Keep us up to date with the play by play. I'm not sure how my deer season will pan out this Fall. Took a dump on my motorcycle in the mountains of N. Carolina a few weeks back. I'm healing up and hope to be able to traverse rough ground in hunting boots by then.

missionary5155
10-07-2020, 02:50 AM
If you have done it with recurves using firearms will sure be "ho=hum". Maybe you need to try a home built bow ?
But I understand the " I want to pop a corn cruncher with this rifle / pistol" as we have a few of those also.