PDA

View Full Version : chrony for slugs

rancher1913
10-01-2020, 11:40 PM
my google fu is lacking tonight, all I can find is stuff from the archive that is not currently relevant. what crony are you guys using on slugs. the magnetospeed seems to be a better fit for shotguns but i cant find any info on if it would work for shotguns.

the pressure trace system would be sweet but not in the budget right now and if I can get close with a crony maybe I can sweet talk a member into pressure testing a load.

so whats the best crony for slugs.

elmacgyver0
10-02-2020, 12:05 AM
Who sells the pressure trace?

rancher1913
10-02-2020, 08:51 AM
https://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/PTII-Help.pdf

littlejack
10-02-2020, 12:36 PM
Rancher:
You ask what is the best chrony for slugs. Well, I have no idea. I use my Shooting Chrony Alfa for this task. I've had it for years with no issues. That is unless you count the time my brother shot a hole right smack in the middle of the screen with a 22LR years ago. It refused to function after that. So I boxed it up, sent it back to New York for their repair and update install. Been working fine ever since. Sorry I'm rambling again.
Anyway, there is plenty of area to shoot through (unless my brother is shooting 22LR) and I've had no problems with the wads flying off track at 10'-12' and hitting any any important parts of the chrony. With all that said, I bought one of their printers early this year. It malfunctioned, so I sent it back for repair or replace. I got a call from UPS a couple months ago. Apparently they had tried to deliver said printer and the doors were locked up. I have tried calling Shooting Chrony many times with no success. I have heard not a word from them since I sent them the printer. So I can only presume that they have went out of business like so many others during all the governmental bs and Covid-19 in the US.
Good luck in your search.
Regards

mattw
10-02-2020, 12:55 PM
My buddy destroyed one once with slugs. The wad, the thing that holds the slug, separated and hit the chronograph. I would think one might be ahead with the LabRadar unit.

W.R.Buchanan
10-02-2020, 02:05 PM
Yeah $100 versus $600 and all you have to do with a Chrony is remove the rods and sky screens and shoot over it.

I've seen guys Chronoing Slingshots with one set up like that. about 18" over teh top and you are good to go.

Randy

rancher1913
10-02-2020, 10:40 PM
has anybody used the magnetospeed that clamps to the barrel, it seems the way to go but not sure if the wad would screw up the reading.

megasupermagnum
10-02-2020, 10:52 PM
I use a Prochrono unit, for all shotgun loads including slugs. I don't use the sky screens. It works fine on most days without it, even blue sky. I keep close, 3'-5' or so. Any farther, and the wad can screw with the reading. I fire well above the unit, I try to shoot about where the sky screens would be, maybe 14" above the top of the unit. As an added precaution, I set a simple 4x4" wood block in front of the unit to stop any errant wads.

That's all there is to it, I've never shot one with a shotgun. The two I shot were with handguns, and trying to shoot too low because of bad readings. Hint: if getting bad readings, check the battery first.

Blood Trail
10-03-2020, 04:34 PM
I use a magnetospeed for my slug guns. Just remember to tighten your bayonet every shot. I did t and ended up shooting it. Had to order a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blood Trail
10-03-2020, 04:35 PM
I also have the Pressure Trace 2. It’s a game changer for sure.

rancher1913
10-03-2020, 06:16 PM
yah, i really would love a pressure trace but not till I am back to work full time. figured if I had a load close to working maybe I could sweet talk you into doing some testing. I'm thinking if I can keep the speed under control and known, I can extrapolate from my charts and get a close guess as to pressure. I dont plan on getting carried away but am getting tired of never having all the right components for a recipe even though I have about every brand of hull and powder and wad made, I just never seem to have the right whatever so this way I can do a little experimenting and stay safe.

Blood Trail
10-03-2020, 09:10 PM
yah, i really would love a pressure trace but not till I am back to work full time. figured if I had a load close to working maybe I could sweet talk you into doing some testing. I'm thinking if I can keep the speed under control and known, I can extrapolate from my charts and get a close guess as to pressure. I dont plan on getting carried away but am getting tired of never having all the right components for a recipe even though I have about every brand of hull and powder and wad made, I just never seem to have the right whatever so this way I can do a little experimenting and stay safe.

Let me know.

LinotypeIngot
10-11-2020, 02:42 AM
LabRadar works great for everything.