PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon Buys Blackhorn 209 Brand from Western Powders

arcticap
10-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Hodgdon Powder Company is pleased to announce the acquisition of the Ramshot and Accurate smokeless powder brands and the Blackhorn 209 muzzleloader brand from Western Powders.

This acquisition is effective October 1, 2020, with the company set to immediately begin shipping these new products to wholesale and retail customers. --->>> https://www.internationalsportsman.com/hodgdon-acquires-ramshot-accurate-and-blackhorn-209/

megasupermagnum
10-01-2020, 09:38 PM
Wow, Pyrodex, 777, Goex, and now BH209. They really have the USA muzzleloader powder market cornered.

Budzilla 19
10-01-2020, 10:04 PM
Going to be interesting to see how much price increase comes around with this acquisition of Western Powders by Hodgdon!!!!!!!

uscra112
10-01-2020, 10:04 PM
I'm more concerned with those two smokeless powder product lines. Will they be supported? Or wound down to reduce competition with Hodgdon's own products. There are no less than four Accurate powders that do better in my guns than anything Hodgdon puts out.

NyFirefighter357
10-01-2020, 10:13 PM
I'm more concerned with those two smokeless powder product lines. Will they be supported? Or wound down to reduce competition with Hodgdon's own products. There are no less than four Accurate powders that do better in my guns than anything Hodgdon puts out.

I am sure they purchased them because they were having a hard time duplicating similar powders as well as convincing people to switch from something they know so well.

megasupermagnum
10-01-2020, 10:27 PM
I am sure they purchased them because they were having a hard time duplicating similar powders as well as convincing people to switch from something they know so well.

I know a lot love the Accurate powders, but I really doubt Hodgdon couldn't replicate the powder. I have the Accurate handgun line 2, 5, 7, and 9. IMO, none of them are anything spectacular. If they shoot good in your gun, then great. I never could get them to do anything I couldn't do better with a Hodgdon or Alliant powder. The Accurate rifle powder line is pretty much copies of other powders. 5744 might be the only exception, but again, I usually found IMR 4227 better. Accurate used to make a shotgun powder Solo1000. It was one of the last single based shotgun powders on the market, but I feel like the fast target powder market is already oversaturated.

Personally I feel the super fast target, and slow rifle powders are oversaturated. I wish Hodgdon would cut a whole bunch of powders, including all the newer junk they came out with a couple years ago (IMR red, Unequal, IMR Blue, etc.) Then bring back a couple of the powders that have never been replaced, like SR4756 and SR4759. Better yet, come out with a 900x, a powder about like 800x, but meters well.

dragon813gt
10-01-2020, 10:30 PM

Hodgon doesn’t produce the powder. So they simply have to keep buying from whoever makes it. And if it’s making them money they will be happy. The profit margin on those powders may be higher than their current products. Could be why the bought them to begin w/.

There is already a ton of overlap w/ powders. I understand your concern. No one wants to see their favorite powder discontinued.

uscra112
10-01-2020, 10:44 PM
Then there's the fact that AA4100 and Ramshot Enforcer are the same powder with different labels. That kind of duplication of marketing effort can stand to be eliminated. How many other such overlaps I can't begin to guess.

dragon813gt
10-02-2020, 05:16 AM
Then there's the fact that AA4100 and Ramshot Enforcer are the same powder with different labels. That kind of duplication of marketing effort can stand to be eliminated. How many other such overlaps I can't begin to guess.

Hodgdon already has exactly this w/ the Winchester lines. W231 is HP-38 and W296 is H110. The Winchester brand commands a premium price. Maybe it will stop but I doubt it. If they can charge more due to a brand label they will.

charlie b
10-02-2020, 09:09 PM
I am another that would like to see the duplications ended. Really don't care which label they keep. Am not attached to any one powder but I do like the work done on the newer, less temperature sensitive powders (IMR and Hodgdon).

BNE
10-02-2020, 09:46 PM
Interesting. I have some of the Ramshot options and like them so far. (True Blue primarily.) They meter extremely consistently.

toot
10-03-2020, 10:05 AM
it is a MONOPOLY witch I thought was ILEAGLE? no free enterprise.